Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

OpenVINO benchmark application gets freeze/stuck

SDabh1
Beginner

We are trying to run the benchmark app to get the performance numbers for our targeted and some of the Intel provided networks. But whenever we are running the benchmark app it couldn't go through the execution and stops/freezes/hangs during execution. For now, solution is hard reset of work-station. This is very consistent problem, with OpenVINO version 2019 R1.1 I was able to run it 5 out of 10 times but with 2019 R2.0.2 I am not able to run it even once.

Also, initially we thought, it might be because of RAM issue but now we have upgraded RAM to 64 GB but still having the same issue.

We are facing this problem more often with benchmark app, for classification model it stuck after some consecutive runs.

As we are able to run the classification model hence there is no problem with environment setup.

Steps I follow to run benchmark app:

1. Initializing environment setup.

2. aocl diagnose -- status - uninitialized

3. Programming the board with bitstream

4. aocl diagnose -- status - passed

5. running benchmark app or classification sample.

After step number 5 most of the time it will get stuck and will cause hard restart of machine.

I would really appreciate if someone can suggest some solution to this problem. I see lots of people have already posted same issue on Intel forum but I don't see any solution on there as well.

links to Intel forum:

1.https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004MTtwL/benchmark-and-classificationsample-apps-hang-on-starting-inference-when-running-with-d-heterofpgacpu?language=en_US&t=1569860715714&searchQuery=

2. https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004OX3Q5/stuck-during-execution-on-mustangf100a10-intel-vision-accelerator-design-with-intel-arria-10-fpga?language=en_US&t=1569865423465&searchQuery=

Please, let me know if you want any other information from my side.

Thank you

-Sunil

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you running with Docker or Chrome in the background? Would you try -b10 AND -niter 100?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you running with Docker or Chrome in the background? Would you try -b10 AND -niter 100?

SDabh1
Beginner

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply. I tried to close everything and then ran the benchmark app as you suggested and it worked. But it works only for the first time and then I still have to restart my machine. But I am happy I am atleast able to run it.

Would like to know if there is any workaround to avoid restart?

Thank you,

-Sunil

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

No, I don't have other workaround.

0 Kudos