Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

I210 IS EEPROM Programming issue

CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi ,

We are using I210 -IS for one of our application.

I am facing issue while programming the EEPROM.I have installed the EEUPDATE Tool and connected the LAN Cable from the board to my PC. When i am running the EEUPDATE command i am not able to see the adapter which is connected

.What should be the expected Device ID .Do i need to do any other configuration.?

Do we need to install the Ethernet device driver before flashing the EEPROM?

I have connected my board which has I210 IS to SFP to Ethernet converter and then i have connected it to PC which is installed with EEUPDATE . please let me know if i am going wrong somwhere as i am new to this thing

If there is any doc which can guide me step wise kindly forward me

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
25 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please let us know if the affected design has been developed by you or a third-party company? Please give all the details (part number, model, name of the manufacturer, where is the documentation) of the project related to this situation if it is a third-party device.

Waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi Maecenas ,

We have developed this design

The good thing is i am able to access the EEPROM .With the basic EEUPDATE command I can able to see i210 getting detected with 1531 device ID .

But now we are facing issue which flashing image to blank Flash Device.

I have also attached the screenshot of the command prompt with error stating that image size larger than the file size. Please have a look at it and kindly revert back with the suggestions

We are using IS25LP064 Flash device and using  Dev_Start_I210_SerdesKX_NOMNG_16Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin

I also have few queries

1)Do we need to update MAC Address before flashing the image into device ?

2)Does iNVM needs to be programmed/or configured ?

3)Do we need to make any other changes like somewhere I read about FL_SIZE needs to be updated . In that case please let me know how to update this?

Thanks,

chandan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your clarification.

Based on your previous messages, could you please verify that the affected design has implemented the suggestions that may answer the question 2.23, on page 9 of the Intel® Ethernet Controller i210 / i211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] document # 335346? In case that you answer is negative, please implement them and let us know the results in detailed way.

This document can be found at the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf

Waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi ,

We have a pull down resistor at 12th pin  which currently is not populated.

But as per the doc it says that  image which is written into the flash has digital signature and once the i210 initializes the security will be enabled

But we have not reached that level . We are facing problem to successfully load the .bin image file into the external flash itself.

We are getting an error message like "The image size is larger that the flash size " . We are using only 8Mb file for our 64Mb Flash.

We tried writing to the flash at some address which happened and I was also able to read it back .

I have even changed the FL_SIZE word using binary editor . But still it does not works

Can u please share any doc which has a step wise procedure to program both Flash and i210 so that it will be helpful for us to debug the issue and to see if we are missing any step ?

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your update.

It is important to let you know that the SerdesKX_NoMng comes in an 8Mb size.

Due to this fact, please use it because the error is stating that the image is bigger than the flash chip.

Also, please make sure to populate the PD resistor.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi,

I have used 8Mb image but still its same error . I have even tried with LanConf but no luck

Also please let me know what is the difference b/w .bin file and .eep file

While programming a blank flash which file we have to use. .bin or .eep file ???

In one of the eeupdate doc I have found below

To update the EEPROM and MAC Address with the data stored in the files

imagefile.eep and addrfile.dat respectively, call EEUPDATE like this:

STEP1: EEUPDATE /NIC=1 /D imagefile.eep /A addrfile.dat

STEP2: copy eelog.dat addrfile.dat

If I have to use .eep file please let me know how I can produce .eep file from .bin file?

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your update.

The Bin is a binary file, and EEP/HEX is a text file.

The HEX file can be found in the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210 and I211-AT: Production NVM Images document # 513655. It can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account at the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/513655.htm

The HEX file can be renamed to an EEP file. 

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi ,

Even I am trying to program the iNVM . Actually the programming is done the  device id is changed to 157C.

Even I have loaded the Windows driver . But the driver is not getting installed properly

I am getting the same error mentioned like "c86a2002-Adapter initalization failed " using the Lanconf tool and EEUPDATE .I cannot edit or delete the existing iNVM File

Kindly let me know how to delete the existing image in iNVM or to fix the driver issue

I even tried to re install the driver but didn't worked. Whether there is any other driver for i210 flash less mode

Please reply me with your suggestions

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
cae0n
Beginner

Hello,

I'm using the i226-IT, where are the production images for this ethernet adapter???

Thank you

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please verify the flash device related to this situation fulfills the requirements provided to you the April 5th and 10th, 2019 in the following forum?

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Hs8YJSAZ/hiwe-are-using-wgi210is-ethernet-lan-controller-in-our-design-

Could you please list the EEupdate and Lanconf versions related to this situation?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi Micheal ,

Thanks for your reply .

I have a new update to share with you which looks quite weird .

Now I have programmed my external Flash with "Dev_Start_I210_SerdesKX_NOMNG_16Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin" file as we have designed the LAN Chip in SerDes mode.

I can also able to update the MAC Address and also the Windows drivers is installed and its working

But when I tried to communicate with the connected device it didn't worked out. Also noticed that the Link was not established as the LED was still not turned green,

When I tested with lanconf tool with transmit and receive option it looked like the transmitting was happening but not the receive. There was no change in the receive registers .

But when I ran a PPV Test and when the QAV priority parameter was passed , the link got established and everything was fine and working , The RX registers were updated , also I can successfully establish the connection with the connected device.

But unfortunately this had a same problem when I restarted the board ,Till I run the PPV test and the QAV priority parameter was not passed I was not able to establish the network . I have attached the screenshot of the test which I performed .

To my guess , I think few parameters are either not enabled or it is disabled in the program binary file and when I do the PPV test some parameters are getting configured .

Request you to please look into this issue and let me know the best way to sort this out . I think once the network is established everything looks like working fine and I cannot suspect on my hardware .

Please let me know if I have to change any configs or register values in .bin file to make it work flawlessly .

Will be awaiting for your reply

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi ,

Now I have some clear picture about my issue

During the power on ,  the Link up parameter in Device Control Register (6th bit)is not changing to 1b and due to which the link will not establish .

If I change the settings of link mode type in lanconf tool I am able to see the change in the 6th bit of device control register

Also I have observed the default link mode type will be 1000BASE-KX which needs to be changed to SerDes

Please let me know I can change the above two parameters . Can I able to change them in LAnconf tool /EEUpdate ? But will it be same after the next power on ?

Please guide me I have used Dev_Start_I210_SerdesKX_NOMNG_16Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin file for programming .

Now exactly which .bin file I should use to get Serdes as my Link Mode Type ?

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your updates.

Could you please confirm if the affected design has problems when it is tested using the Lanconf Tx and/or Rx tests?

Waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi

Good news is the link is established now . The device is working perfectly

For me it looked  like some configuration issue to set the link mode . So I changed the .bin file from serdes to copper . it just woked for me.!!!!!

Previously as mentioned I was using Dev_Start_I210_SerdesKX_NOMNG_16Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin file as we have brought the interface in Serdes mode .

But it did worked for me when I used Dev_Start_I210_Copper_NOMNG_16Mb_A2_3.25_0.03.bin file.

Now please clarify me one thing . To establish the interface as SERDES/BASE1000-SX what should be the image /.bin file that we have to use . I am quite confused in this little bit .

Please clarify

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your update.

Base1000-SX should probably be the Fiber_NoMng image.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

​Hi ,

But with  Fiber_NoMng  I am not able to get the link established . This could only happen when the copper image was used . Please let me know what might be the issue

Thanks,

Chandan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your reply.

The i210 needs to have PCIe connection with the processor for EEupdate to read the PCIe device id. If they are running a LAN cable across to another PC expecting EEupdate to work it would not.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

​Hi

@Mæcenas_INTEL

The  I210  chip is working well and good. Basically I was working on a Windows 7 platform and the software driver I was using before was old one i.e  12.15.22.6

Now I have changed my OS to Windows 10 and the driver which is loaded is still the old one which I used for Windows 7

Functionality wise the system is working fine but I am quite confused about the compatibility of the software driver

Now we have already released the our software with old driver , just wanted to know the impact of Windows 7 driver functionality with Windows 10 OS.

There is  a separate driver for the Windows 10 OS but my question is will it be okay if I keep Windows 7 driver considering the functionality or porting to latest windows 10 driver is necessary ?

Thanks,

Chandan@

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CKUMA7​:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest you keep it until it fails then you should update it as a possible solution.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CKUMA7
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​./Team

Based on your inputs for the i210 software driver, we are currently working on Windows 10 OS with Windows 7 Ethernet Controller s/w driver . You have suggested to use it till it fails and update after that

For us right now the s/w driver of I210 controller which is compatible with Windows 7 is working well with Windows 10 OS. So we are not making any changes in our system software 

We need your below confirmation to use the old Win 7 compatible driver in a mail so that we can have it for our reference and close the defect assigned to us regarding the Software compatibility

Regards

Chandan

0 Kudos