Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

I210 re-initialize issue

JLin115
Beginner

We have server system using I210 as share network for both PCH chipset and BMC.

When OS windows disable network device manually on windows, the network activity for BMC will also be disabled.

The correct behavior should be BMC be able re-initialize I210 after disable to get the network back.

However, as describe below some unexpected behavior caused the network issue.

Description:

When host OS is windows and user disabled network device, NCSI(I210) will keep send "Link Status Change" AEN to BMC per second.

It'll make BMC keep to reset and enable NCSI cause network could not used.

Test Environment:

Verified OS : windows7, windows 8.1 and windows 10.

Verified Driver : 18.4, 18.5, 18.6, 18.7, 18.8.1, 19.0, 19.1, 19.3, 19.5, 20.0 and 20.2

Test case:

[1] Initialize and Boot BMC

[2] Disabled network device in windows.

Result:

NCSI still send AEN "Link Status Change 0x60" when windows diabled device then send AEN "Link Status Change 0x6b" and BMC reset and enable NCSI will failed.

Even we execute command to down/up network device,

NCSI will keep send AEN "Link Status Change 0x6b or 0x65", which cause BMC keep to reset and enable NCSI and not allow the network for BMC to work properly.

Regards

James

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello linjic,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand your question, could you please tell us what is the platform server (processor and chipset) related to this situation? How many units are affected by this condition?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration to solve this inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
JLin115
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Sorry for the late reply. Below is the information about the platform.

Platform: Grantley

CPU: Xeon E5-2618L v3

PCH: C612

BMC: ASPEED AST2400

LAN: Intel I210-AT (share with BMC)

This issue is 100% duplicateable on all the platform. We think it is a general issue. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

James

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello linjic,

Thanks for your update.

Based on your reply, could you please try to reproduce the cited issue using any of the following Operating Systems? Please let us know in a detailed way the outcomes of these changes.

You can find this list on page 2 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-briefs/xeon-e5-2600-v3-c612-chipset-brief.pdf Platform Brief: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E5-2600 v3 Product Family and Intel(R) C612 Chipset Communications, Storage, and Embedded Infrastructures.

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos