Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

I210IT crystal vs oscillator for clock input

WBall
Beginner

I am working on a design that uses the I210IT part.  We are the OEM,  there is no third party.  To provide the required 25Mhz clock signal at the XTAL1 pin of the I210 part,  the data sheet recommends using a crystal but then shows information on using an oscillator.   In section 11.6.5.2 ( External Clock Oscillator Specs), the data sheet  shows an oscillator  powered by 2.5V and  3.3V  feeding a capacitor divider circuit whose purpose is to  get the voltage to the right level before it goes into the XTAL1 pin.  Specs are listed in Table 11-16  for the XTAL1 pin indicating it is a 1.8 volt input.   What is the purpose of using an oscillator powered by 2.5 or 3.3 volts?  Is there a problem with providing a clock signal  with 1.8V logic levels per Table 11-16?   Note that there are oscillators that run off of 1.8 volts.

Thank you

Whitney Ballard

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @WBall​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

It is important to let you know that the information stated in the documentation is the proposed and corroborated by Intel.

Due to this fact, you can implement your suggestion but it should be tested and validated on your own.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos