Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Trying to use I225-IT in Ubuntu 20.04

mmeyer
Beginner

We have developed a mPCIe card using the I225. The card works great in Windows, trying to get it to work in Linux Ubuntu 20.04. Have tried various kernel versions. Firmware on the device is FXVL_0D9F_IT_2MB_1.79.

Issue overview - Cannot get link at 2.5G using Ubuntu.

Kernel: 5.11.0-20-generic - Have tried various kernels from 5.4 - 5.14, this one gets me the closest

1. Looking in dmesg for messages from the igc driver I see the following errors:

[ 2.204728] igc 0000:04:00.0: no suspend buffer for PTM
[ 2.243707] igc: probe of 0000:04:00.0 failed with error -2
[ 2.244059] igc 0000:05:00.0: no suspend buffer for PTM
[ 2.275730] igc: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -2

The PTM error I see on systems that work, so I am not concerned about that.  The probe error is of concern. 

2. Subsequent issue is that ethtool does not "advertise" a 2.5G link mode

(output of a device not working)

Settings for enp1s0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                           100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                           1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

(expected output)

Settings for enp1s0:
Supported ports: [ ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                           100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                           1000baseT/Full
                                           2500baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

I assume both issues my be resolved by getting the driver to work. Any help on a known good kernel version where the I225 works would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mmeyer:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We sent an email to the address associated with this account with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello mmeyer,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since your query involves customization/your own design card, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. 

Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mmeyer:

We sent an email to the address associated with this account with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
mmeyer
Beginner

Thank you. I am working with IPS on a solution.

0 Kudos
mishi5250
Beginner

Hello,@CarlosAM_INTEL,i need your  help ,I have a similar problem to him, I use the system version is Ubuntu18.04.6, the kernel version is 5.4.0-125-generic, I am using the igc version of the driver invalid,Can you tell me about the solution ,thanks

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mishi5250:

Based on your communication, could you please clarify if your problem is related to a design developed by you or a third-party one?

Also, is it associated with a NIC add-in card or a design with an Intel Ethernet Controller?

We are waiting for your answer. 

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
mishi5250
Beginner

hi @CarlosAM_INTEL ,I am a user of a third-party card, Chipset is I225-LM

I can't find a suitable driver for Linux version, I also tried to use the driver of Linux igc version,it can't work ,I am a user,I am not a designer,  thanks

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mishi5250:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your last communication, could you please provide all the information (part number, manufacturer, and other details) about the third-party device related to the reported situation?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Xiangyang
Beginner

Hello,@CarlosAM_INTEL,i need your  help ,I have a similar problem to him, I use the system version is Ubuntu20.04.1, the kernel version is 5.11.0-27-generic, I am using the igc version of the driver invalid,Can you tell me about the solution ,thanks

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Xiangyang:

Based on your communication, could you please clarify if your problem is related to a design developed by you or a third-party one?

Also, is it associated with a NIC add-in card or a design with an Intel Ethernet Controller?

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Xiangyang
Beginner

Hi, @CarlosAM_INTEL, it's very kind of you for replying my question, the Ethernet controller which i use now is i255-V, this platform is a third-party one, and the problem was automatically solved after i update the latest version of driver in Ubuntu, i think this problem may be a software process issue rather than a design issue, if you have any other question, please contact me.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Xiangyang:

Thanks for your update.

We are glad that your problem has been solved.

In case you want to share your solution will be appreciated from our side.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Xiangyang
Beginner

Hello, Carlos&nimi:

This problem seems to be a software bug, and it was solved by the latest driver in the Ubuntu release version, so you can use another USB or PCIe wireless-network adapter to connect to the internet and update your driver in Software-updater in Ubuntu, then reboot your PC, I hope you can solve this problem with the previous instructions.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Xiangyang:

Thanks for your update.

Could you please clarify if the driver update has been obtained from the developer of the Operating System (OS)?

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Xiangyang
Beginner

Hi, Carlos: 

You are welcome.

You can refer the Ubuntu.com's instructions by the link I pasted below."https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-desktop#11-dont-forget-to-update"

Best regards, 

0 Kudos
nimi
Beginner

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL .

Can you please provide solution for me too, as tried with Ubuntu on own platform and no success with ethernet ?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @nimi:

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
renatossilva
Beginner

Hello Carlos.

I think it is not related to a design because I'm testing just the SO functionalities. I just configured mu /etc/network/interfaces with the proper parameters and I see the information in ifconfig are OK. If I put the interface to another modem it got the IP by DHCP normally. However, the IP I put by manually does not ping.

Regards.

Renato

0 Kudos
renatossilva
Beginner

Hello.

Does anybody know about a tutorial to install the I225-V driver for Ubuntu 20.04 server?

Regards.

Renato

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @renatossilva:

You should address as a reference your consultation related to the cited Operation System (OS) through the channel listed on the following website:

https://ubuntu.com/support/community-support

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
mdursun
Beginner

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

I have a similiar issue. We have designed a custom board in which AGX-XAVIER and I225-IT exists. There is Ubuntu 20.04 on the xavier which has arm64 architecture. I have downloladed the EEPROM Access Tool and trying to flash the NVM.

However, when I try to list the devices it results as following.

Intel(R) EEPROM Access Tool NVM/OTP Programming Example Tool Version 0.8.0
Provided under the terms of a CNDA. Do Not Distribute.
Copyright(C) 2017-2020 by Intel(R) Corporation
NIC BUS DEV FUN Silicon Memory Type Present
=== === === === ===== ======================
No Memeory BAR resources supplied by OS/BIOS.
Tool will not work correctly without it.
1 1 0 0 I225 FLASH

What would be the reason of messages in bold characters? I have checked dmesg messages and see that BAR assignment is done during power-up.

sudo dmesg | grep BAR

[ 5.255579] pci 0001:01:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x1230000000-0x12307fffff]
[ 5.255853] pci 0001:01:00.0: BAR 3: assigned [mem 0x1230800000-0x1230803fff]

And also I have downloaded a binary file from the  target=_blankhttps://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html Release_28.2.1.

There are two binaries in LINUX/I210/Linux_x64 folder which are as below.

Retail_Beaver_Lake_2p00_G69016.bin

OEM_Beaver_Lake_2p00_G59947.bin

Are these files correct firmwares for the I225-IT?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos