Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
867 Discussions

WGI210AT (i210) as direct replacement for WGI211AT (i211)?

Kieran2
Beginner

As per Intel PCN# 118543-00, the WGI210AT is suggested as the replacement for the now obsolete WGI211AT.

Intel Spec Update document 332763-013 (Rev. 2.9, Nov 2020) has a section on Errata.  Number 38 in this section (on pg. 33) states that the MAC Address field cannot be changed after original factory programming for products with NVM firmware version 3.30.

We need to change the MAC Address to our own value.  Can this be done with the i210 currently on the market?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Diego_INTEL

Hello @Kieran2,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

That's correct, newer NVM versions included a protection to the MAC, so it can only be changed once.

If by the market you mean one that has being installed a MAC before, then you can't change the MAC, but if the device has the MAC from factory, then you can do it.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Diego_INTEL

Hello @Kieran2,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

That's correct, newer NVM versions included a protection to the MAC, so it can only be changed once.

If by the market you mean one that has being installed a MAC before, then you can't change the MAC, but if the device has the MAC from factory, then you can do it.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
Kieran2
Beginner

Thanks Diego.

By the market, I mean a part that has been purchased new from the factory/distributor (has not been used before).

So I understand that the i210 can have its MAC address set once by the us which should be fine.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @Kieran2,

You are very welcome and yes, then it shouldn't be any problem. 

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos