Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

intel 210 nic flash-less mode

hlun
Beginner

we want to use imx6 + 210(igb) implment Gb network, but the 210 board owns a flash chip. what's context in it? how to del it ? how to configure ? please help, thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello helun,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded community.

In order to better understand your consultations, could you please clarify us if the NIC card related to these questions has been designed by you or by an specific company? If it is a third party design, could you please give us all the information related to it?

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
hlun
Beginner

we want to use i210 without flash that can reduce the board space, In addition, we don't know the context in the flash that's the reason of removing it.

we are not a third party design company only for application of the 210 chip. Now we don't know the context in the flash that is the primary cause, Should you apply some images and tool for programming it ? help, thanks

0 Kudos
GShen9
Beginner

Could you send eepromARMtool to me, we already request a privilege account, the account is my company's account , user 'helun' is mine. In spite of this, we don't know that how to download the tools for updating invm or flash , could you send some information and tools related to it for me, thanks. email: mailto:gongshengli@hnlx.com.cn gongshengli@hnlx.com.cn or mailto:helun@hnlx.com.cn helun@hnlx.com.cn(better)

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello gong ,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

We have contacted you via email.

By the way, your privileged account has been approved.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
GShen9
Beginner

thanks, we are not familiar to the eepromARMtool.

now, we want to use eeupdate64w and lanconf to program the invm and flash in win.

i have two problems:

1 we buy the i210 chip from the represent of intel or intel directly, the invm is blank or not ? Is it otp?

2 when i exe eeupdate64w in win64, info is :

Using: Intel (R) PRO Network Connections SDK v2.24.20

EEUPDATE v5.24.20.03

Copyright (C) 1995 - 2014 Intel Corporation

Intel (R) Confidential and not for general distribution.

Warning: No Adapter Selected

NIC Bus Dev Fun Vendor-Device Branding string

=== === === === ============= =================================================

1 3 00 00 8086-1531 Intel(R) I210 Blank NVM Device

2 2 00 00 8086-1533 Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1

but i want to program the mac address for nic == 1, it shows :

exec command is : EEUPDATEW64e.exe /nic=1 /mac=f3ab20112233

Using: Intel (R) PRO Network Connections SDK v2.24.20

EEUPDATE v5.24.20.03

Copyright (C) 1995 - 2014 Intel Corporation

Intel (R) Confidential and not for general distribution.

NIC Bus Dev Fun Vendor-Device Branding string

=== === === === ============= =================================================

1 3 00 00 8086-1531 Intel(R) I210 Blank NVM Device

2 2 00 00 8086-1533 Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1

Unable to initialize adapter 1 code c86a2002

Adapter initialization failed

when i use eeupdate /invmget or /d, it also offer "Unable to initialize adapter 1 code c86a2002" msg , how to init it in my system(OS WIN7, HOST dell optiplex 3010), please

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello gong ,

Thanks for your update.

The information that may help you is stated on the answers to the questions 2.9, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16, 2.23, and 2.25, on pages from 8 to 11 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document # 334026-001, also in the https://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=8246 Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210 and I211-AT: Production NVM Images document # 513655 and https://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=8398 Intel(R) I210 and I211 Design-In for ARM eepromARMtool Usage Guide document # 523420.

By the way, in order to better understand this situation, we would like to address the following questions:

Could you please clarify us if the affected design has been developed by you or a third party company? In case that it is a third party design please let us know all the information related to it.

Could you please confirm us if the affected design has been reviewed by Intel?

Please let us know the requested information.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
GShen9
Beginner

I'm sorry for delay reply.

Today i use eeupdate programming the external flash only without programming invm in x86, and then the 210-nic works in arm with igb driver.

Taking into account the volume production, we can't program flash in x86 and then cut the flash to arm(imx6), so we want to use eepromARMtool programming the flash in arm selfly. but i see the code of eepromARMtool, it does not implent programming function for the flash, how should i do, can we modifies the code of eepromARMtool to implement the goals? please , thanks

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello gong ,

Thanks for your reply.

In order to better understand this situation, we would like to paraphrase my previous questions:

Could you please tell us if the affected implementation has been designed by you or it is a third party implementation? In case that it is a third party one please give us all its information.

Could you please corroborate that the affected design has been checked by Intel?

Please let us know all the information that answer these questions.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
GShen9
Beginner

Firstly, we are not a third party, we only use intel 210 nic for Industrial level demand in my project.

the official demo for 210 nic contains pci pin, we want to design the motherboard that contains 210,

we want to use the fsl imx6 to implement dual nic. one comes with the imx6(self mac+phy), the others want to use the pci slot to expand, so the 210 nic is fit for my requiremet.

in consideration of reducing the board space and the connector(discard pcie slot pin) we have to make the 210 nic and the external flash integration in the motherboard (imx6), that' we only goals.

Now how to program the flash in the 210 chip in arm for volume production that becomes the problem of we meet firstly, so we need you help, thanks @

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello gong,

Thanks for your reply.

The iNVM devices from Intel are blank and unprogrammed. In case that you have parts acquired from other sources, and the parts are programmed, they should be returned or discarded since there is very little space to correct for misprogrammed parts. Unlike having a normal NVM, the iNVM is very small and it is a One Time Programmable memory. This OTP iNVM should be used carefully. The Eeupdate has the intelligence to try to reuse the OTP if updates are required, but other tools do not have that capability. eepromARMtool as an example implementation does not have that ability, nor will it. The OTP reuse logic is very complex and would not be ported. eepromARMtool is a basic example implementation and will never be as feature rich as our normal toolset. It is designed to be an enabling step for customers to create their own rich toolset unique for their requirements.

The F3AB20 is an illegal OUI. Multicast and Locally administered bits should not be set in the programmed MAC address of the device. Please review as a reference for more details the following website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address . The code 2002 means the adapter did not initialize. The first run of the tool just accessed PCI configuration space and did not actually try to run on the hardware. Make sure the PCI configuration space is setting up correctly for the device. Initialization will normally fail if the PCI memory access is not configured correctly, or some other BIOS level problem. The eeupdate is also old, we recommend using a newer revision just to make sure that any defects that have been fixed in the last two years are available to you. The https://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=3815 Intel(R) Network Connections Tools document # 348742 is the most recent toolset you can download. It does require an EDC privileged account to be accessible to you.

The eepromARMtool is designed to work with iNVM and normal NVM as well. If you follow the 82574 code path you can see the NVM access flows. eepromARMtool is designed to operate with blank NVM so if you have a signed and secured NVM, it may not work. That might be what you are seeing. As an example implementation, the eepromARMtool can be customized by your organization to do what you want it to do, just be mindful of the license. It can be made to program NVM i210 and iNVM 211 with the same code. (I believe that is already in there). You should be able to customize the eepromARMtool to fix your manufacturing needs. When the customization is in the process, please verify the information stated in the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/i210-ethernet-controller-datasheet.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210 Datasheet document # 333016-001, and http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/i211-ethernet-controller-datasheet.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I211 Datasheet document # 333017-002. Please note that the eepromARMtool does not run when the base driver is loaded, so please be sure to remove the driver before running it. The biggest roadblocks to success when using eepromARMtool is 1) driver running and 2) the PCI memory is not mapped correctly by the OS/BIOS before the tool is invoked. Make sure any endian mappings are correct, and that any memory windows are setup correctly. If normal PCI access would not work, that will prevent normal tool operation. Basically, if the driver can find the hardware, so can eepromARMtool.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
BTest
Novice

Hi helun,

Someone should correct me but I don't think you can use the i210/i211 without a boot flash. We tried and were not able to make them work.

You need to sign up for a privileged account and request "513655_I210_I211_Production_images". It contains the right binaries for fiber, twisted pair, SERDES, etc. (they are different) Intel provides for 4, 8 and 16Mb devices.

For twisted pair the first 6 bytes of the image are the MAC address. The images have these bytes as zero so you need to put yours in before they are usable.

Brett

0 Kudos
hlun
Beginner

we want to use i210 without flash that can reduce the board space, In addition, we don't know the context in the flash that's the reason of removing it.

'sign up for a privileged account and request "513655_I210_I211_Production_images"' Are you mean that we should pay for intel to get the image and program tools ?

0 Kudos
BTest
Novice

Helun,

As I said, we were unable to use the i210 without the correct flash load. Sorry. We also are not running Windows or Linux so we can't use any of the flash update tools that Intel provides and have to pre-program the parts before they are soldered to the board. I should be able to program them over JTAG but never had the time to work that out.

Privileged accounts are free. Intel want's an NDA in place for a lot of the information and I have never heard of anyone being denied one. Carlos A should be able to provide the sign up link.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello helun,

Thanks for your update.

Brett gave you some of the EDC privileged account information properly. To learn more about the benefits of an EDC Privileged account go to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html. Then click on "APPLY NOW" found under the heading, "Apply for extras with privileged access to the Intel EDC¹". After you submit the application, please let us know and we will expedite the review of your application.

We suggest you to use your business email address, to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such the provided by Hotmail, Gmail, yahoo, or others).

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A .

0 Kudos