Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

How to edit z5xx EMGD Vbios ?

ARuju
Beginner

hi, just an information:

1)How is possible to edit iemgd 1.18 video bios?

Intel BMP requires BSF script file (that i don't know where i can get it) and in iemgd folder package there are OBJ and LIB files (that i don't know how to open)

2) When will be public released the new suite iemgd for z5xx\e6xx platforms?

3)Any news about a new version of opengl 2.0 hardware accelerated file for z5xx\e6xx for Win 8?

igdogl32.dll (EMGD opengl) miss some instruction so win8 open it and quickly close it. the only workaround that i found is mesa3d opengl but it is software accelerated and on z5xx cpu is so slow

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The VBIOS is able to set any custom mode you desire upon exit from POST, however, it does NOT determine the mode that the system boots in. The BIOS will tend to want to operate and exist post in the traditional BIOS special mode 4 so that the in rom setup and other capabilities work properly. The operating system boot code will ALSO tend to override the mode set on VBIOS exit as well. Windows goes into a 640 x 480 mode to display the Windows startup process. If you want those things changed, you will need to work with your BIOS vendor for a custom BIOS, and with Microsoft for customer Windows boot process.

Also, the EDID in the monitor will determine the capabilities of the display- if the VGA monitor does not support 1366 x 768 in its EDID then you will not be able to force 1366 x 768 in the VBIOS or driver as that would violate the timing the monitor tells us it supports.

Please note that most of these topics ARE covered in the EMGD User's Guide and FAQs on this system so please feel free to read those for more information.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

1. The EMGD driver is different from the desktop/notebook GMA drivers. The full driver release contains a utility called "CED" for Configuration EDitor that modifies the driver and VBIOS (if you wish) at the same time. We include it with the download. It does NOT use VBTs or any of the other BMP features. When you run CED, you will get a VBIOS binary that you can merge into your BIOS image and THAT depends on the tools from the BIOS vendor.

2. Z5xx is EOL now and have stopped any official support for it. The latest EMGD for E6xx DOES still support Z5xx and you can download the latest here on EDC.

3. Because Z5xx is EOL, we are not adding any features to the driver. The hardware is not capable of supporting OpenGL2.0 anyway so it would not help if we tried to add it. If you need performance, you want to use an Intel Core processor and graphics. The Atom (Z5xx) was designed for highest performance possible at the lowest possible power and low cost. Generally power and cost will drive performance so the part was NOT designed for the highest performance. You may want to look into the newest Atom the E38xx which because of new fab processes (smaller lithography) and advanced transistor designs gets down into the power range of the Z5xx but at MUCH higher performance both CPU and Graphics.

0 Kudos
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
ARuju
Beginner

Thank you all.

I miss some info:

1)IEMGD Support for e6xx is closed? version 1.18 is the definitive one? When will be realesed?

2)Let's talk of ced and vbios internal editor:

My device is 1366x766LCD with VGA port..(.i read the iemgd guide):

-Primary display (dos boot) no way to set 1366x768 @60hz 16bpp? (integer or hexadecimal)

-5F i have no idea of what these functions exactly do but probably are useless in my case or not?

-Common to port:

A.setting lvds to lfp report blackscreen.

B. VGA port doesn't work with any output..am i wrong? my CH7317 is supported by vbios?

0 Kudos
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Razak,

To set the "1366x768 @60hz" resolution at first depends on your display equipment. The driver will automatically adjust your screen resolution if it is an EDID device and when you select "Use EDID Display if available" option. If not, you could select "Use user-defined DTDs" and "1366x768 @60hz" in "Custom Display Timing Descriptors(DTDs)" . Below are the details:

5F Functions settings allow you to enable or disable the five System BIOS 15h interrupt hooks. (Please see Appendix C, "Intel® 5F Extended Interface Functions" Page 194, Doc. ID: 442076# for more information on 5F functions.)

About "Common to port", I cannot very well understand your mearing, could you please elaborate?

Best regards

William

ARuju
Beginner

thank you for answering but i'm talking about video bios settings not LVDS.

1)Is possible to set 1366x768 on system boot in the videobios?

2)Common port: where i should put my VGA port to make it work?

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The VBIOS is able to set any custom mode you desire upon exit from POST, however, it does NOT determine the mode that the system boots in. The BIOS will tend to want to operate and exist post in the traditional BIOS special mode 4 so that the in rom setup and other capabilities work properly. The operating system boot code will ALSO tend to override the mode set on VBIOS exit as well. Windows goes into a 640 x 480 mode to display the Windows startup process. If you want those things changed, you will need to work with your BIOS vendor for a custom BIOS, and with Microsoft for customer Windows boot process.

Also, the EDID in the monitor will determine the capabilities of the display- if the VGA monitor does not support 1366 x 768 in its EDID then you will not be able to force 1366 x 768 in the VBIOS or driver as that would violate the timing the monitor tells us it supports.

Please note that most of these topics ARE covered in the EMGD User's Guide and FAQs on this system so please feel free to read those for more information.

0 Kudos