Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

How to enable the UART console of E3940 on FreeBSD/Ubuntu?

ccttw
Beginner

I am testing Ubuntu and FreeBSD on E3940 platform.
The hdmi port is okay, but I can't use the UART console properly.

UART console can display bios and efi loader messages, but not kernel's. So the layout of the UART is fine, the kernel drivers are not probed.
Then I use HDMI to look the dmesg, the kernel does't recognize any UART device.

I am new to x86 platform and not familiar with BIOS/ACPI tables.

Any suggestion about probing the UART drivers ?

(I can use UART console to configure the BIOS)
my BIOS:

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 15.07.14.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @ccttw:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We want to address the following questions based on your previous communication:

Could you please clarify if the affected project has been designed by you or by a third-party company? Could you please inform the part number, the name of the manufacturer, and where to find the information of the affected design? 

Could you please list the sources used to develop your affected design, and if it has been verified by Intel?

We are waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
ccttw
Beginner

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL:

The OEM target board is designed by our company. (EVT)
They may install MS Windows.

But I do software development on FreeBSD (https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src).

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @ccttw:

Thanks for your reply.

You should use the Operating Systems (OSs) listed in the supported software tab of the platform components for Apollo Lake section at the bottom of the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/platforms/details/apollo-lake.html

In case that you have problems, you should contact the company listed in the distribution and support column of the cited tab to receive support.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL

0 Kudos