Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

IEGD 10.4 Driver on Windows CE 6.0 Support for OpenGL - US15W

CBake4
Beginner

Is there a limitation on the amount of texture memory the driver supports (or number of textures)?

While creating a number of textures (Approx 650) - Part of the display will start to show artifacts (should only show a black backgound will a bar graph indicating how objects need to be loaded). After load is completed some of the display pages are correct some will show artifacts.

Thanks

Chip Baker

Honeywell

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

There are a few limits on textures. Obviously, you can not have you active textures exceed the amount of memory allocated to the graphics. Lets say you have a 512MB system and you allocate 64MB to graphics- 64MB is the limit. IF you allocate MORE memory to the graphics, then you can hit a limit in the chipset of amount of memory the texture unit can address. That is 256MB or 512MB depending on some other factors (I am looking into that right now). There is an additional limit on the number of inactive textures that can fit in the variable amount memory we "borrow" (maloc) from the OS. Finally there is a limit on the number of texture handles the driver can support. That has changed over time, and I am also researching where we are in 10.4.

Can you tell me how much memory your textures take? Can you tell me your BIOS settings for Grpahics Aperature, and Stolen Memory?

THX.

0 Kudos
CBake4
Beginner

Kirk,

Thanks for the answer. Currently the BIOS setup is as follows:

Pre-Allocated memory: UMA = 4MB

Boot Type: VBIOS Default

I am trying to create 660 textures - Approx 72MB

Description of Attachments:

DSC02124.jpg - Normal Loading Screen - While building Textures

DSC02126.jpg - After Loading Approximately 62.5MB worth of Textures (calculated by taking the 'Height * Width * 4')

DSC02127.jpg - Good Screen Layout

DSC02128.jpg - Screen Layout with display problems

System Setup:

Memory: - 1024MB - Only using 512MB (Windows CE Limit)

IEGD Driver: - Memory Model - Dynamic

Thanks

Chip Baker

Honeywell

0 Kudos
CBake4
Beginner

Updated Information

Graphic Memory Base Address:

D2:F0 Offset 18h -> 1Bh 80 00 00 00 (Default 00 00 00 00)

Stolen Memory Base Address:

D2:F0 Offset 5C -> 5F 3F C0 00 00 (Default 07 80 00 00)

Multi-size Aperture Control:

D2:F0 Offset 62h 02 (Default 02 = 256MB)

0 Kudos