Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

UDC isn't supported with ATOM ?

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

We try to work with usb device controller with apollo lake e3900 (using congatec ma5).

My steps:

1. compile kernel 4.4.0 with dwc2 and dwc3 as modules, and build all controllers in device-drivers->usb->usb-> gadget->usb peripheral (build into kernel).

2. boot system

3. modprobe libcomposite

modprobe dwc2

ls /sys/class/udc shows that it is empty !

trying modprobe dwc3 gives same result.

As I understand usb device should be supported with E3900 "USB 2.0 interfaces on the COM Express connector including one USB 2.0 Dual Role port. "

Thank you for any idea,

ranran

0 Kudos
1 Solution
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

I haven't got the documentation, but seems that the problem been solved anyway:

The default bios of congatec MA5 disables udc, so it has to be enabled in BIOS, and then it also appears in lsusb.

Thank you very much for the help,

Ranran

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand this situation, could you please let us know the Operating System (OS) related to this situation?

By the way, could you please let us know how you obtained the USB driver that you are using in the affected unit?

Also, could you please let us know how many units are affected by this problem?

Waiting for the information that should answer these questions.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

> could you please let us know the Operating System (OS) related to this situation?

Linux, using kernel 4.9.30

>By the way, could you please let us know how you obtained the USB driver that you are using in the affected unit?

It's usb driver from linux. I just selected all drivers in config in drivers->usb->usb gadget->usb peripheral controllers (all selected as 'Y')

>Also, could you please let us know how many units are affected by this problem?

I first need to make it functional in one unit only. It is now a development issue.

Thank you,

ranran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your reply.

Form the Intel perspective that is generic as we discussed on previous threads, we suggest you try to reproduce the cited problem using Wind River 8 Linux distribution (64-bit) and/or Yocto Project* BSP tool-based embedded Linux distribution (64-bit). These are the suggested Linux Operating Systems as you can confirm on page 4 of the https://www.intel.ca/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/atom-processor-e3900-series-product-brief.pdf Apollo Lake Product Brief document. However, since this is a third party unit, the information provided by us must be validated and confirmed by the manufacturer.

By the way, as a reference please try the information stated in the "software" tab of the following website:

https://www.congatec.com/us/products/com-express-type10/conga-ma5.html# tab3 https://www.congatec.com/us/products/com-express-type10/conga-ma5.html# tab3

We hope that this information may help you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

I still see that /sys/class/udc is empty.

Is there someone in Intel's community who knows what are the required steps to make /sys/class/udc non- empty?

Regards,

Ranran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your update.

You may review the following website that is provided as a reference:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/388304/no-udc-shows-up-for-usb-mass-storage-gadget-with-configfs https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/388304/no-udc-shows-up-for-usb-mass-storage-gadget-with-configfs

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yet, I think that the dwc2 suggested in that link is not relevant because, as I understand, dwc2 is used in some HW (raspberry pi in that link) and is not the controller used by Intel's , Right ?

I actually think that there isn't any usb device controller. According to "lspci -nnn":

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Host Bridge [8086:5af0] (rev 0b)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:5a85] (rev 0b)00:0e.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster [8086:5a98] (rev 0b)00:0f.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Trusted Execution Engine [8086:5a9a] (rev 0b)00:12.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SATA AHCI Controller [8086:5ae3] (rev 0b)00:13.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series PCI Express Port A # 1 [8086:5ad8] (rev fb)00:14.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series PCI Express Port B # 1 [8086:5ad6] (rev fb)00:15.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series USB xHCI [8086:5aa8] (rev 0b)00:1b.0 SD Host controller [0805]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SDXC/MMC Host Controller [8086:5aca] (rev 0b)00:1c.0 SD Host controller [0805]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series eMMC Controller [8086:5acc] (rev 0b)00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Low Pin Count Interface [8086:5ae8] (rev 0b)

00:1f.1 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SMBus Controller [8086:5ad4] (rev 0b) 02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:157b] (rev 03)

As you can see above there is no mention of usb device controller,

So my guess is that it is not supported in HW. What do you think ?

Best Regards,

ranran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your update.

In order to be on the same page, could you please give us the results of our generic suggestions of the past 09/03/2018 in a detailed way?

Please keep in mind that this information should be verified and confirmed by the manufacturer of the affected device.

Waiting for your reply to this communication.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello Carlos,

As I see above the questions were already answered.

Here it is copied again:

> could you please let us know the Operating System (OS) related to this situation?

Linux, using kernel 4.9.30

>By the way, could you please let us know how you obtained the USB driver that you are using in the affected unit?

It's usb driver from linux. I just selected all drivers in config in drivers->usb->usb gadget->usb peripheral controllers (all selected as 'Y')

>Also, could you please let us know how many units are affected by this problem?

I first need to make it functional in one unit only. It is now a development issue.

I say once again that if HW does NOT support usb device peripheral, than all efforts in other directions won't help......... !

Is it supported in HW ?

Thank you,

ranran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us paraphrase our previous message to avoid more confusions. Our generic suggestions are stated in our communication of the September 3rd, 2018 3:57 PM, instead of the clarification request that you mentioned in your last communication of the September 3rd, 2018 12:43 PM. Based on this information, could you please answer our last communication?

Waiting for your answer to our question.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello Carlos,

I haven't yet tried to build yocto kernel, because I need first to verify if HW supports udc or not.

If it is not supported in HW, it shall give the same result.

Please see again the "lspci -nnn" print, it shows that there is only host usb, but no device usb controller.

Command lspci identifies HW, therefore from this I understand that HW does not support udc. (Please correct me if wrong)

Trying to deploy yocto's kernel will help only if HW supports usb device controller.

Thank you very much for the time,

ran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your update.

The answer to your question is stated in section 3.8, on pages 76 and 77 of the https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/557555 Apollo Lake External Design Specification [EDS] Volume 1 document # 557555.

This EDS is accessible when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account. It can be requested by filling out the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html RDC Account Support form.

Best regards,

Carlos_A .

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for the information.

I asked permission to access the information, waiting for reply from Intel.

Thank you very much,

Ran

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

Intel support ask me in email:

"I would like to check if you have received my email yesterday regarding my question about what is the exact information do you want to access regarding the link that you provided? Please provide the document name for our reference. "

We have received your email and I'm happy to assist you. Before we proceed, may I know what is the exact information do you want to access regarding the link that you provided? Please provide the document name for our reference.

"

Can you please help ?

( the link I provided is the link to this thread: )

Thank you very much,

ranran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your update.

Based on my update to this forum of the past September 4th, 2018 1:13 PM; your answer to the cited email should be:

"The information that may help us is stated in section 3.8, on pages 76 and 77 of the Apollo Lake External Design Specification [EDS] Volume 1 document # 557555."

We hope that this and the rest of the information stated in our communications has been analyzed and understood from your side.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

Thank you very much, your assistance if appreciated,

ranran

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Carlos,

I haven't got the documentation, but seems that the problem been solved anyway:

The default bios of congatec MA5 disables udc, so it has to be enabled in BIOS, and then it also appears in lsusb.

Thank you very much for the help,

Ranran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your reply, we are glad that you can solve your problem that is proper from the manufacturer suggested configuration, which is totally ignored by us as we mentioned frequently through this thread.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Dear Carlos,

You said:

"Based on your reply, we are glad that you can solve your problem that is proper from the manufacturer suggested configuration, which is totally ignored by us as we mentioned frequently through this thread."

No!

it was not ignored at all but was immediately checked with them ! It took them these long time till I got an anwer.

EDIT:

sorry for my misunderstanding in this message!

Best Regards,

ranran

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, ranchu:

Thanks for your clarifications related to our support service that will be carefully reviewed.

You misunderstood our last message. Please notice it is related to we (Intel) ignore the information related to third-party devices as may confirm at the following screenshot:

We hope that you understand that it is information that is totally out of our hands. We can only give you generic info, which is clear with this case all time does not apply to the third-party projects, it should be verified and confirmed by the manufacturer.

By the way, in case that you want to address your disconformity related to documentation unavailable, feel free to address it by the form stated on our communications when we mentioned them the first time.

We hope that this explanation may clarify our last comment and the way that this forum has been handled.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Dear Carlos,

You are correct. I missunderstood your last reply.

I truly apologize for the misunderstanding.

I hope it is OK if I will edit my last reply.

Thank you very much for the help thought this issue.

Ranran

0 Kudos