Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1194 Discussions

Application/algorithm efficiency - MIPS versus DMIPS

PGoll
Beginner

Dear all,

We are trying to have a rough comparison measure of efficiency of a set of algorithms running across different CPU architectures and trying to understand how we can express it in an architecture independent ways. We could measure the MIPS from Intel's vTune or similar tool for the algorithms running on Intel's CPU. However, we can not use the MIPS to compare the same figure for the same algorithms to that of ARM core. I am thinking of figuring out a rough way to convert MIPS to DMIPS and use DMIPS as a way to compare the efficiency of the algorithm across different CPU cores. I do understand the host of limitations of such a measure (wait states, Cache etc.). Now, (1) do you think it is a reasonable method to do so or is there any better way to do this ? (2) how to convert MIPS to approximate DMIPS for different CPU cores ? Many thanks for your support !

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Panchi :

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Design Center.

In order to be on the same page, could you please tell us the part numbers and SKUs of the related to this situation?

By the way, could you please let us know if these questions are related to a technical problem? In case that it is related to an issue, could you please give us a detailed description?

Waiting for the information that should answer these questions.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
PGoll
Beginner

Carlos_A Thanks for the reply and your questions.

Firstly, I tried to keep the question generic and not specific to any CPU core since the intention is to measure algorithm/application performance across different CPU cores (Intel and non-Intel). In any case, we are using Intel Atom Denverton processor with SKU # C3754.

Secondly, as I tried to explain, this issue to analyze the performance of the algorithms/application across CPU cores (Intel and non-Intel) and also estimate which CPU core would better suit our set of algorithms.

Many thanks !

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Panchi:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your previous communications, we suggest you address this thread to the https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum Software Developer Forum.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos