Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4907 Discussions

82567LM keeps showing disconnect in event log

idata
Employee

I just purchased 4 Dell Optiplex 960 computers with WIndows 7 x64. I am having this issue on all 4 machines. Intermittently the computer disconnects from the network and also at times it will show that it is a 10mb connection. I updated the drivers to 11.5.10 dated 12/10/2009. The error in the event log is source: e1kexpress Event ID 27 "Network link has been disconnected." The workstations all connect to a Dell switch.

I spoke to Dell and they have no clue.

Help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
122 Replies
idata
Employee

It seems that a simple "Roll Back Driver" has solved my problems. After the roll-back the driver version is restored to 10.5.1.0 (driver provider: Microsoft, c:\windows\system32\drivers\e1k60x64.sys (10.5.1.0, 215,50 KB (220 672 bytes), 10.06.2009 22:35)).

From what I have seen over the last days the connection is stable at 1Gbps now, just like others have reported with this driver earlier in the discussion.

Regards

André

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi, same problem, same computer. HP 6000 PRO, windows 7 professional 32 bit and intel 82567 LM3.

tried all possible drivers from intel and hp website. updated firmware, controller driver and bios. + windows 7 update

installed a 100mb pci lan card, everything is perfect.

if we force the gigabit ethernet link speed at 100, problem still exist.

fixing the IP solves the issue. we don't have the problem on notebook. so looks like there's really some kind of bad driver management of that network set. (82567 LM3, fyi).

slow network access at startup is what we have, with "network access" starting late because of network link not engaging fast. (it takes up to 20sec after desktop shows and we get "unable to reconnect network drives" or no network drives mapped at all. vary after every reboot).

we have bought 200+ HP desktop to replace old ones, and we are now in difficult on what to do.

we don't want to fix ip for all machines nor install a pci card.

we have tried to change all the possible configurable options of the network card but nothing changed.

looks like it has something to do with the chipset or the management of it by the drivers. any idea ?

thanks

ps. tried 100mb hp switch, 1 gb cisco portfast spanning tree enabled. same result. slow network engaging @ win 7 startup. takes load to "identifying network" or getting the dhcp released ip.

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

rosettimarino, you say you tried "all possible drivers from intel and hp website." Did you try the native Microsoft driver included with Windows 7? Rolling back to that is what solved it for me (on Dell Optiplex 960). Careful not to use Windows Update to get the latest driver--it's also bad.

Sure would be nice to hear that Intel had identified and fixed this problem!

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi, yes.

we did. clean window 7 install and then installed intel, HP and last windows update (that infact downloads a new driver).

workgroup or domain doesn't change. DHCP lease take close to 30 secs after you see the desktop to come up. clean install no service or heavy tasks on.

100mb intel pci card, works smooth, lan up. gigabit port with 100mb connection gives the same issue. limiting the port to 100 doesn't work as well.

haven't tried yet with capping it to 10mbit but really, rather would prefer to set a fix IP.

thanks, bye

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

You say you installed "last windows update (that infact downloads a new driver)." When I tried it, if I let Windows apply the driver update (which was an optional update), the connection started failing again. Once I rolled back the driver to version 10.5.1.0 (with the Dell gigabit switch still in Fast Link or portfast mode), the problems stopped.

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

"we did. clean window 7 install and then installed intel, HP and last windows update (that infact downloads a new driver)."

I'm sorry, probably I didn't write the correct way.

I mean, we tried with a clean windows 7 install, then we tried with intel drivers and rolling back, we finished trying all the others, but no luck.

we tried the universal HP drivers suggested on their forum but nothing. at the moment we are using fixed IP addresses, since even setting the gigabit integrated card to 100mb solves the problem. nor do a 100mb connection cable on the gigabit port. only way was installing a separate PCI network card (intel but different controller, automatically and correctly discovered by win 7 like the gigabit integrated one.)
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yes, have had exact same issues after updating on several DELL & HP boxes, thought it was a Switch problem 1st, then was able to roll back the driver on 2 of the HPs, but After reviewing several of the posts for the 825xx Drivers issues I suspect INTEL has a problem rolled up in these drivers and the installs whereby several items are getting wacked, I can see frm the forum that there is a problem WHY CANT INTEL

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is driving me crazy. First windows will tell me I have an Ethernet cable unplugged... then it will tell me the network adapter is having issues. I installed 10.5.1.0 on the machine and it still will not pop! So frustrating. Just make it work like it was last night...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sniffing around it seems that setting the advanced config to 10Mbits full duplex is the only way for it to work at all... What the what?!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am seeing all the problems reported in this thread - dropouts, autonegotiation problems, DHCP problems, plus there is no option to set a WOL (power saving) speed (unlike Broadcom NICs).

These NIC and drivers (seen a couple of drops/DHCP issues with DOS drivers too BTW!) are a PITA!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Just want to report that I also have the same exact problem on my Optiplex 960 and 755.

Connection will go to 10Mbit after some time. The link will go down and up for a second.

The computer will also give some error about not reaching DNS.

I also had the same problem on Windows 2008 with a E1000 card.

Roll back to MS driver fixed the problem.

Btw, any ideia how can I mass rollback the driver with GPO or logon script?

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Quick fix:

Edit E1K6232.inf file (on the drivers folder) and do the following change (underlined):

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Intel(R) 82567LF-3 Gigabit Network Connection

;

[E10DF.6.1.1]

Characteristics = 0x84 ; NCF_HAS_UI | NCF_PHYSICAL

BusType = 5 ; PCI

DelReg = Advanced.DelReg

AddReg = e1k.reg, Copper.reg, Copper1000.reg

AddReg = Powermgmt.reg, Sips.reg

AddReg = TcpSeg.reg, RSS.reg, UninstallW2.reg, WakeOnSlot.reg

CopyFiles = winvista.CopyFiles, UninstallProg.CopyFiles

*IfType = 6 ; IF_TYPE_ETHERNET_CSMACD

*MediaType = 0 ; NdisMedium802_3

*PhysicalMediaType = 0 ; NdisPhysicalMediumUnspecified

[E10DF.6.1.1.Services]

AddService = e1kexpress, 2, winvista.Service, winvista.EventLog

[E10DF.6.1.1.CoInstallers]

AddReg=CoInstaller_AddReg, CoInKS.reg

CopyFiles=CoInstaller_CopyFiles

[E10DF.6.1.1.HW]

Include=machine.inf

Needs=PciIoSpaceNotRequired

AddReg=MSI.reg

You will then be able to enable or disable Sips on the interface. By default it is disabled.

Be aware that the driver will become unsigned.

Let's now hope that Intel makes Sips disabled by default, and give us a signed driver with that key in place.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The following .reg also worked for me:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007]

"SipsEnabled"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007\Ndi\savedParams\SipsEnabled]

"ParamDesc"="System Idle Power Saver"

"type"="enum"

"default"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007\Ndi\savedParams\SipsEnabled\Enum]

"0"="Disabled"

"1"="Enabled"

Be sure to match the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007] with yours. Look on Regedit for the NIC name.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Adding the Sips.reg for the E1K6032.inf doesn't seem to work for the 82567-LM3 Nic. Do you have the Proset Tools installed?

I've reported the SIPS issue at HP, they've come up with a tool to disable SIPS through registry, similar like your other post with the registry paths. But the NIC doesn't always have the same adapter number, this is why HP / Intel supplied the tool so that the tool can determine what the adapter number is and add the object to the registry.

But you'll probably agree with that this should always be a settings which should be managed through driver properties. Can't figure out why Intel can't come up with a decent solution.

By the way, the SIPS tool provided by HP (read: Intel) can be found here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=nl&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3785404&prodNameId=3785039&swEnvOID=2097&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=vc-80464-1 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=nl&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3785404&prodNameId=3785039&swEnvOID=2097&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=vc-80464-1

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry to hear that it didn't worked for you.

Adding sips.reg is working perfectly for me with both DELL and Intel latest drivers.

Can you see the power saving setting on the "Power Saving" tab of the driver (device manager)?

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Easiest fix is to remove the Intel installed drivers and go with the Microsoft supplied. I believe the version shows as 10.5. I just received 2 new Optiplex 960's that showed the same problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm totally disappointed with my Intel NIC 82567LM in Dell E6400

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10F5&SUBSYS_02331028&REV_03

Windows 7 x64

Drivers 10.0.2.2 Microsoft / 10.0.6.0 Intel / 10.1.6.0 Intel

Tried all drivers possible, disabled Power Saving options both through driver UI and registry (as suggested above), nothing helps.

I have no option to roll back to 10.5.x.x Microsoft of course.

No auto-negotionation changes etc. helps. Also what really drives me mad is that it's been a slowly degrading problem! Can't imagine anything but connection to updates installed in background.

Any ideas on a workaround, anyway? Throughout this thread we all have very random self-found explanations. Any statement from Intel / Dell Support anyone had?

Let's raise couple of tickets?

Cheers,

Arseny

It's been slowly degrading for some time, but I never had a chance / time to investigate further as had a Wi-Fi fail-over option everywhere, and only realized there's a problem today, when Ethernet NIC totally malfunctions showing 'Network Cable Unplugged'

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

2 options. Go to device manager and delete the adapter. When prompted delete the drivers. The do a scan for new hardware. I think that will give you the good drivers.

Option 2, go to the settings and disable the VLAN setting. I have seen this as a problem on several networks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I found going back to the original Microsoft OS supplied drivers broke WOL... I am using the original release of Dell drivers (Optiplex 960) which seem the best of a bad bunch.

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

Not using WOL here but Intel AMT does work for remote power on/off with the Microsoft driver.

Mark Berry

MCB Systems
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks - getting AMT setup is on my to-do list so that just adds another reason. I use Ghost Solution Suite v2 and that only seems to use WOL.

0 Kudos