Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Asus B550 I-Gaming. WOL oesn't work after full shutdown

Tom555
Beginner

Hello.

WOL stopped working after turning off the computer. The LEDs on the network card are off. But if, after turning off the computer, completely turn off the power supply and turn it back on, then the LEDs light up and WOL works. I checked all the WOL settings on Windows and they are all enabled.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello solemgar,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed checking your query, can you please confirm if you are having the same issue as described on link below?

The issue was resolved after trying out other power state.

Wake on Lan not working on driver higher than 1.0.1.4 for Intel l225-V

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Wake-on-Lan-not-working-on-driver-higher-than-1-0-1-4-for-Intel/m-p/1285049#M25300

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Tom555
Beginner
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello solemgar,

Thank you for the update.

Kindly provide the following information that would help with the investigation.

1. Is the Wake on LAN working fine before? Or the issue was encountered on initial configuration?

2. Can you confirm if you already followed the steps from link below?

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Unable to Wake-on-LAN from S5 in Windows® 10

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038313/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

3. Have you tried raising this issue to Asus support? We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Asus system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Tom555
Beginner

1. Yes, WOL working fine before.

2. Screenshots

Tom555_0-1624023546059.pngTom555_1-1624023573209.png

Tom555_2-1624023589573.pngTom555_3-1624023595455.png

Tom555_4-1624023611861.png

Tom555_5-1624023644700.png

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello solemgar,

Thank you for the reply.

You mentioned that WOL is working fine before. Can you confirm if there are any software or hardware changes prior to the issue? Please also share when was the issue first encountered. 

Have you also tried raising this issue to Asus as we suggested on our previous reply?

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Tom555
Beginner
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello solemgar,

Thank you for the reply.

Just to confirm, the issue started after following the article ID 000057261 'Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V' in order to solve the problem with the connection speed (as you posted on link below)?

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/I225-v-and-ROG-STRIX-B550-I-GAMING-Speed-issue/m-p/1280774#M25112

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Tom555
Beginner
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello solemgar,

Thank you for the update. Please give us 2 to 3 days to further check on this issue.

If you have additional information that you want to share, please do so.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

Just to confirm, what power state do you have Wake on LAN issue on I225 with AMD platform? S0, S1, S3, S4, S5, or all of them?

We highly recommend contacting or raising a ticket with Asus first because we have an article 000038313-Intel® Ethernet Adapter Unable to Wake-on-LAN from S5 in Windows® 10 that contains recommendations and confirmed to be working with other customers. So this could be BIOS or configuration related with the motherboard.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038313/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

We have also provided this thread before as customer on this thread agreed to contact Asus for further assistance.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Wake-on-Lan-not-working-on-driver-higher-than-1-0-1-4-for-Intel/m-p/1285049#M25300

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Tom555
Beginner

Just to confirm, what power state do you have Wake on LAN issue on I225 with AMD platform? S0, S1, S3, S4, S5, or all of them?

All of them.

We highly recommend contacting or raising a ticket with Asus

I created a ticket.

0 Kudos
C128
New Contributor I

I'm involved in the linked thread that Intel support are now referencing nonstop. I have a Z590 board and just now am having the issue happen to me too. I was the one that gave them the idea to point you to Asus too, unfortunately, because ultimately this is on Intel and the board vendor.. but given I'm also now seeing this, it's definitely a problem for Intel to sort out.

So if you have the same issue that solegar and I have, the issue is random, and will stop happening if you pull the power plug from your PC for 30 seconds. This clears the i225's RAM. There's something not happening correctly on shutdown, but it's random. I'll WoL 30 times from S5, then it will fail.

I'm on 1.0.2.13 (26.3) and the i225v B3 stepping (the latest hardware revision). I've done all the tweaks and hacks both on Intel's site and elsewhere on the web, still happened after I did a lot of shutdowns/tests.

Asus won't help you. They're not only worthless, the best they could possibly do is provide a specific driver/settings that works with their board, but I highly suspect NONE of them do. This needs addressed by Intel's engineers. They may be completely aware of it, but Intel support isn't going to confirm or deny if they're working on the issue.

I'm planning on waiting a while, and then starting to make as much noise about this problem as possible if it's not resolved soon.

So to be clear for Intel: my settings are correct, WoL works. It randomly fails. That's what we're seeing. Anyone with those symptoms is not doing anything wrong, as this should consistently work, and you have multiple customers seeing this. Even me, and I'm on an all-Intel system, latest Z590 with i9-11900K and the latest stepping of the i225v.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Thank you for the reply. 

We will wait for your update once you've heard from Asus. We will also re-escalate this request to our higher level support and ask for their insights. However, please be reminded that we have a limited support on OEM since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. Asus would be in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

Hello C128.

We will also include your comment on our escalation. 

Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

We found a similar concern which was posted in Asus. You may consider checking this thread for possible resolution. We still highly recommend to continue communicating with Asus for further assistance on this matter.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101283-Wake-on-LAN-not-working-from-shutdown-Asus-Deluxe-Z170

Please also be informed that we will now close this request since you already submitted a ticket to Asus. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Hello C128, 

Please see below update from our higher level support.

Kindly create a new thread for you concern so other users will be able search in forum for that specific question and specific board. Once you've posted a question on forum link below, we will continue checking your request. 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/bd-p/ethernet-products

May you have a good day and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Tom555
Beginner

I got a response from Asus' support. They confirmed that there is no problem with the BIOS. I remind you that WOL worked well until I updated the NVM firmware.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Thank you for the update and please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that this might have caused. 

Kindly refer to following information for additional suggestion from our higher level support. 

Will you be able to try these settings on your NIC properties?

Under Advanced Tab:

Set Enable PME = ENABLED

Under Power Management Tab and then under Power Save Options:

Uncheck Energy Efficient Ethernet

Check Wake on Magic Packet  

Check Wake on Pattern Match  

Check Wake on Magic Packet from power off state

Then reboot the system.

Additionally, can you share what other information that Asus has provided about the issue aside from the BIOS?

Best regards, 

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Tom555
Beginner

@Caguicla_Intel wrote:

Hello Tom555,

Thank you for the update and please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that this might have caused. 

Kindly refer to following information for additional suggestion from our higher level support. 

Will you be able to try these settings on your NIC properties?

Under Advanced Tab:

Set Enable PME = ENABLED

Under Power Management Tab and then under Power Save Options:

Uncheck Energy Efficient Ethernet

Check Wake on Magic Packet  

Check Wake on Pattern Match  

Check Wake on Magic Packet from power off state

Then reboot the system.

Additionally, can you share what other information that Asus has provided about the issue aside from the BIOS?

Best regards, 

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

I've tried this. Did not help.

Support Asus asked to check whether the WOL will work if you turn off the PC from DOS or BIOS. In this case, the WOL was working and they confirmed that the problem was not in the BIOS and motherboard.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our previous reply and are you able to try it out. If yes, kindly confirm and share the result with us. In case you have additional questions and clarifications, feel free to let us know.

Awaiting to hear from you soon.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards, 

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Thank you for the effort in trying it out and sharing Asus' feedback with us. 

Please allow us to re-escalate this query to our engineers to communicate this update. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Best regards, 

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Tom555,

Good day!

Our engineers would like to confirm the following details. We hope you don't mind sharing this with us to better understand the issue

1. Issue about WOL not working after cold boot ONLY encountered after updating the NVM v.1.45 which was downloaded from ASUS download center?

2. Or does the issue encountered after BOTH applying NVM v.1.45 and Driver V1.0.1.4?

3. Can you provide the detailed steps before you encountered the issue?

Example:

Updated the NVM to v.1.45 and installed successfully. However, after rebooting the system, you noticed that the WOL is suddenly not working. You then applied the driver V1.0.1.4 however same issue.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos