Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Can XL710 VLAN filters limitation be overcome?

cphil4
Beginner

We have an app running a VF on the Fortville XL710. According to the data sheet, the maximum number of VLAN filters the XL710 VF can set is 8. Unfortunately our app requires lots more than that, so I'm wondering if there is a way to cause the app running the VF to receive all traffic directed to its MAC address ie non-tagged and tagged traffic? If not, is there any other way to have a large number of VLANs in the VF?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi clivep,

I need to check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cphil4
Beginner

Will setting promiscuous mode on the VSI (via the I40E_VIRTCHNL_OP_CONFIG_PROMISCUOUS_MODE request to the PF) solve the problem?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Clivep,

We are checking on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cphil4
Beginner

I have managed to enable unicast promiscuous mode in my VF driver, and this solves my problem in that my VF can now receive all frames addressed to my VF MAC, tagged or untagged. In order to do this I had to modify the Intel PF driver to allow me to set unicast promiscuous mode.

There appear to be 2 issues:

1. the code in i40e_virtchnl_pf.c to handle I40E_VIRTCHNL_OP_CONFIG_PROMISCUOUS_MODE returns an error if the VSI is not an FCOE VSI. I don't understand this!

2. the above code also does not call i40e_aq_set_vsi_unicast_promiscuous() if the appropriate passed-in flags are set.

Would it be possible to get these issues fixed?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI Clivep,

Thank you for sharing the info. This relates to the driver code so we have to look futher into this. Can you tell me what is the driver version you used and what is the exact XL710 model ? (is it a separate network adapter or onboard NIC)?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
cphil4
Beginner

The driver version is 1.3.39 but the code in the latest version is the same (eg 1.4.25).

I am using an XL710 2-port adapter card (firmware-version: 4.53 0x80001d18 1.108.0).

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Clvep,

Thank you for the info. Further checking, the feature you inquired is not yet implemented but is currently under development.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos