Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5116 Discussions

Driver I219-LM doesn't install on Ubuntu 22.04

mitrix
Beginner

I have a problem. Laptop Dell 5420, ethernet controller (13) I219-LM. 

On Ubuntu 20.04  5.4.0.-170 I compiled the e1000e driver e1000e-3.8.7 (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/14611/15817/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-intel-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux-final-release.html). On Ubuntu 20.04 it works stably. 

When upgrading the kernel to 5.15.0.-92 , the e1000e driver does not load. When I try to compile again from the sources, an error occurs. New IGB driver (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html) recommended by Intel for this controller is loaded into the kernel, but the controller does not work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Apologies for any inconvenience cause.

According to our last communication, we had informed that the current supported Linux OS for Ubuntu is for 18.X LTS. While, Ubuntu 22.04 are not yet validated and have not yet been tested with the ethernet. 

You can also check further on this info from below link but it will require a CNDA which you will need to sign up as a premier user with a company email.

Content Details (intel.com)

Kindly let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

In order for us to investigate further, please provide the information below:

- Is the ethernet a prebuilt or the card purchased separately?

- Is there any other error message(screenshot)?

- Have you contacted DELL to check on the issue - if you need any BIOS update or  

is there any driver update from DELL directly.

Kindly update us with the feedback from DELL as well.

Please be informed for below notes:

If you purchased an OEM branded server or appliance, contact your OEM for a SW driver version that is compatible with your exact FW version. Using SW and FW versions that have not been validated to work together will affect performance, feature availability, and system stability.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
mitrix
Beginner

thank you very much for your quick response.

This is an Ethernet controller built into the laptop.

On the Dell website there is no support for Ubuntu 22.04 for my product, no any drivers. This is a corporate laptop, dual booted with Windows 10 and Linux. Windows is the main system, I do not have administrator rights to it. Dell Command Update is installed on Windows; it automatically installs all firmware updates. The latest version is currently installed.

I found a similar discussion on the forum, but all the answers refer to installing an old driver e1000e with a downgrade of the kernel number.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/How-to-install-controller-for-17-I219-LM-on-ubuntu22-04/m-p/1420554

I'm currently back to and running Ubuntu 20.04, so I don't have any screenshots. Especially for your sake, I can try to update the system again and install the recommended driver again.

Regards

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello mitrix,

Since you mentioned, this is a corporate laptop.

Have you contact the support team of your company. Since your first contact of support should be the company support.

Kindly check with your company support and contact the Dell OEM for further info on this.

You are welcomed to try the suggestion from the community case below but kindly check with the company support before proceeding.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/How-to-install-controller-for-17-I219-LM-on-ubuntu22-04/m-p/1420554

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
mitrix
Beginner

*Have you contact the support team of your company. Since your first contact of support should be the company support.

II'm doing a project for a network team, working together with our company's technical support. They could not help me with the driver for Linux 22.04.

*Kindly check with your company support and contact the Dell OEM for further info on this.

Below is the response from Dell technical support. 

"Dear Mr. P.,

As already discussed in the chat, we do not offer Ubuntu drivers for this system.

You can therefore only contact Ubuntu or Intel directly.

I hope this information helps you and I hope you have a nice day.

Best regards, H. 

Senior Technician, Technical Support

Dell Technologies | CSG Client ProSupport

Dell GmbH, Raffineriestraße 28, 06112 Halle (Saale), Germany"

The solution to which you sent me a link does not suit me, since it does not work with the latest versions of the kernel.

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello mitrix,

Thank you for the update.

Can you please share with us the screenshot error. We will check further on this and get back to you soon with more updates.

Can you please try to reach out to Ubuntu team as well and update us with the feedback.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
mitrix
Beginner

Hello Hayat.

1. Ubuntu 20.04 kernel 5.04.0-170.
During installation, the e1000e (2015) driver supplied with the distribution was installed. The network controller was not recognized. I removed this driver from the kernel and installed e1000e-3.8.7.tar.gz downloaded from the Intel website. Screenshot png - everything is OK.

2. Ubuntu 22.04 kernel 5.15.0-92
During installation, the e1000e 2015 driver was also installed. The network controller is not recognized. When trying to compile the driver from the e1000e-3.8.7.tar.gz source, an error occurred during compilation (make). Make command output in txt file. Also attached are the output of the dmesg and lshw commands (png).

3.Ubuntu 22.04 kernel 5.15.0-92.

I downloaded the recommended driver pack from the link.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/82185/intel-ethernet-connection-i219lm/downloads.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Compilation and installation proceed without errors, the driver IGB is loaded into the kernel, but the controller is not recognized.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Thank you for your update.

Kindly check below link where it contains e1000 driver:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/

Kindly share the update of the outcome with us.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello mitrix,

Regarding your thread, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply here to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Thank You.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mitrix
Beginner

Dear Hayat,

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a suitable driver for the Intel (13) I219-LM controller for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, despite spending a considerable amount of time on it. I installed a clean Ubuntu 22.04, the latest, thenapt update && apt upgrade. Since e1000e is no longer officially supported, I downloaded the igb drivers from your link ("https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/igb%20stable/") – about 10 different versions 2019-2023.

As a result, I can confirm that igb drivers version 5.14.16 and 5.15.6 compile without errors and install into the system. However, the Ethernet controller is not recognized.

The other drivers fail to compile with errors.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Thank you for your response.

As per what I understand you are able to compile igb drivers version 5.14.16 and 5.15.6 without errors but the ethernet are still not able to recognize.

We are currently checking further on this and would require some more time to look into this.

We appreciate your understanding on this matter.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Thank you for your patience.

Upon checking the current supported Linux OS for Ubuntu is for 18.X LTS. Ubuntu 22.04 are not yet validated.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

We are doing a follow up on the thread.

According to the last communication:

The current supported Linux OS for Ubuntu is for 18.X LTS. Ubuntu 22.04 are not yet validated.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello mitrix,

Since there are no replies, we will proceed to close the thread.

Please be informed, once the thread is closed it will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Kindly open a new thread if you have further questions.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
mitrix
Beginner
Thank you very much for your support, but I haven’t any solution for this problem.

Best regards
0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Apologies for any inconvenience cause.

According to our last communication, we had informed that the current supported Linux OS for Ubuntu is for 18.X LTS. While, Ubuntu 22.04 are not yet validated and have not yet been tested with the ethernet. 

You can also check further on this info from below link but it will require a CNDA which you will need to sign up as a premier user with a company email.

Content Details (intel.com)

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Regarding your thread, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply here to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Thank You.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi mitrix,

Since there are no further responses.

We will proceed to close the thread. Kindly open a new thread if you have further questions. We will be more than glad to assist you.

Regards.

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos