Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Fail to use Virtual Functions with OVS switches in X710

vutang
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using SR-IOV in Intel X710 NIC and face issue when integrating VF with OVS switch.

[VM] <-> [ OVS switch ] <-> [VF0] <-> [external machine]

When using DPDK pktgen to generate packet from VM. At VF port, OVS reports error at all packets (below log).

> ovs-ofctl dump-ports ovs-br0 dpdk-p0

OFPST_PORT reply (xid=0x4): 1 ports port "dpdk-p0": rx pkts=0, bytes=0, drop=0, errs=0, frame=?, over=?, crc=? tx pkts=0, bytes=0, drop=0, errs=317971312, coll=?

When I retried with Physical Function, every packet is sent successfully. I also tried to send packet directly to VF port (without using OVS), it's OK too.

P/s: I found that a same issue appeared in a topic (https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Using-Virtual-Functions-in-OVS-switches/m-p/610929) and it was not resolved yet.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello vutang,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering issue with your current setup. For us to proceed checking, please provide the following information.

1. We noticed that your query involves DPDK. With this, we'd like to confirm if the issue is also present without DPDK as we have a specific team who handles DPDK inquiry.

2. Just to confirm, the issue is only present using OVS? If no OVS involved, configuration works perfectly fine?

3. Please share the driver version of PF and FV as well as the link where it was downloaded from.

4. What is the current Firmware version of your X710

5. Operating System used as well as the VM

6. Kindly provide the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
vutang
Beginner

Hi there, 

About your question, here is my feedback:

@Caguicla_Intel wrote:

Hello vutang,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering issue with your current setup. For us to proceed checking, please provide the following information.

1. We noticed that your query involves DPDK. With this, we'd like to confirm if the issue is also present without DPDK as we have a specific team who handles DPDK inquiry.

2. Just to confirm, the issue is only present using OVS? If no OVS involved, configuration works perfectly fine?

> The issue is only present when using OVS. If we use the VF directly, it worked well.

3. Please share the driver version of PF and FV as well as the link where it was downloaded from.

> The DPDK driver for PF and VF are igb_uio and vfio-pci. We are using DPDK 20.11

4. What is the current Firmware version of your X710

> The X710 Firmware version is 7.3.60988

5. Operating System used as well as the VM

> CentOS 7 (it is also used in host machine)

6. Kindly provide the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

> Checking....

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
vutang
Beginner

About the 6th question, here is our NIC.

b0d7b85ad92a2f74763b.jpg

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello vutang,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

Please allow us to further check your query. We'd also like to set your expectation that we might need to refer you to Intel Premier Support later on since your query involves DPDK. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
vutang
Beginner
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello vutang,

Apologies for the delay on our update. 

Our engineers have recommended to update the NVM/FW to 8.4.

Here is the download link for Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter 700 Series

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18190/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapter-700-series.html

You may refer to the Usage guides > Intel® Ethernet NVM Update Tool Quick Usage Guide for Linux* same link above for more information on how to update the Firmware.

Feel free to let us know of the result and if it will help resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
vutang
Beginner

Hi,

We tried to upgrade X710 Firmware as your recommendation. But issue is not resolved yet.

x701-ovs-issue.PNG

Regards 

Vu Tang

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello vutang,

We are sorry to hear that issue is still not resolved after Firmware update. 

Kindly log a ticket to Intel Premier Support (IPS) for further assistance. Click "Access and Log In" to create Intel Premier Support ticket. Please also be informed that when you enter the IPS ticket, under product to type in/select "Fortville". 

Intel® Premier Support 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome    

Feel free to let us know if you need assistance logging an inquiry with IPS or if you have additional questions and clarifications regarding this matter. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
vutang
Beginner

Hi,

I have already created a ticket on your IPS about two weeks ago. But I didn't receive any response yet. 

https://premiersupport.intel.com/IPS/5003b00001birkv

Ticket Case ID: 00641002

Did I miss something? Is something wrong with my ticket?

Regards

Vu Tang

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello vutang,

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

We are sorry to hear that you still haven't received any response from your ticket. 

Please allow us to further check this internally. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello vutang,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please be informed that we have requested to revisit the IPS ticket and they found out that the product in the ticket is FlexRAN 5G and it is in the FlexRAN queue. 

With this, we hope you don't mind changing the product for that ticket, or create a new ticket and choose Fortville.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
vutang
Beginner

Hi, 

I've just submitted a new ticket. Sorry about that mistake.

Regards

Vu Tang

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vu Tang,

No worries at all. We highly appreciate your effort in submitting a new ticket.

Since you already submitted an IPS ticket, please be informed that we will now close this request. Please feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have an amazing week and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vu Tang,

Good day and I hope you will be having an amazing weekend ahead!

We are just sending this update to let you know that your IPS ticket 00645013 was already assigned to a Fortville engineer and is now being taken care of.  Kindly wait for their response for further update. 

We will now close this request again. Please feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos