Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

How can i enable SR-IOV for the "Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 2P X550-t Adapter" in Linux?

MLeop1
Beginner

I only want to see /sys/devices/pci0000:??/0000:??:??.?/0000:??:??.?/sriov* entries in CentOS 7.6.

I have NICs of type "Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2" and "Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 2P X550-t Adapter" in a server with a Supermicro X10DRC-LN4+ motherboard. Although SR-IOV is disabled in BIOS I have sysfs sriov entries for the first type, but not for the second.

I tried:

• updating firmware for both NICs
  • enabling SR-IOV in BIOS
  • booting the kernel with "intel_iommu=on"

None of this changed anything. What's wrong?

thx

Matthias

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello MLeop1, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. For me to further check, can you provide the output of ethtool -i "interface" And also, did you try to enable VT-d inside the BIOS? If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask us. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLeop1
Beginner

Thanks for reply. I'm not at work today. I'll give you that information on monday.

Best regards

Matthias Leopold

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Matthias, Thank you for the reply. We'll wait for the required information. If you have any other questions, please let us know. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLeop1
Beginner

This is now from a server with Supermicro X10SLH-F mainboard, but the situation is the same as with the Supermicro X10DRC-LN4+:

• Intel VT-d is enabled
  • ethtool -i enp132s0f0

driver: ixgbe

version: 5.1.0-k-rh7.6

firmware-version: 0x80000aa1, 18.5.18

expansion-rom-version:

bus-info: 0000:84:00.0

supports-statistics: yes

supports-test: yes

supports-eeprom-access: yes

supports-register-dump: yes

supports-priv-flags: yes

Again, other Intel NICs in this server (I350, X710) have sriov sysfs entries, but X550T doesn't.

As I said, there is a "enable SR-IOV" option in BIOS which is disabled, but enabling doesn't change the situation (and the other cards don't seem to need it for their sriov sysfs entries).

Best regards

Matthias Leopold

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello MLeop1, Can you try the steps on this link? The procedure should be the same even if the guide is for a different NIC card. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/xl710-sr-iov-config-guide-gbe-linux-brief.html If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask us. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLeop1
Beginner

Thank you. I already tried everything that is mentioned in this manual, but I checked it again _now_ (including enabling SR-IOV in BIOS and adding "intel_iommu=on" to the kernel command line).

When I get to point 12b in Chapter 2.1 I DON'T HAVE the '/sys/class/net/device name/device/sriov_numvfs' entry for the "Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 2P X550-t Adapter".

I DO HAVE it for a X710 NIC which happens to be in the same server and to which this manual applies.

This is my whole point.

What I mentioned previously is that I noticed that there is a "Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2", for which SR-IOV works as expected.

What is the difference between "Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 2P X550-t Adapter" and "Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2"?

Concerning the motherboard:

I'm always on a "Supermicro X10DRC-LN4", my assumption in the previous post was wrong.

Best regards

Matthias Leopold

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello MLeop1, The only difference between the 2 cards are the number of ports. Please open this link for reference: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=88209,88208 There should be no difference unless your Network Adapter X550-T1 is not a retail version or an OEM version. OEM network cards may have been modified by 3rd party builder. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLeop1
Beginner

I'm very sure I'm dealing with a card that was modified for use in a Dell server.

I already asked in the Dell forum, other option for me would be to ask my hardware supplier for a fully compliant "Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2".

Case can be closed

thanks

Matthias

0 Kudos
YATINDRA_S_Intel
Employee

Hi All,

I Also faced similar issue for the above mentioned card where as other cards in the same system works to create SR-IOV.

The card detail from o/p of command  lshw -class network is like:

description: Ethernet interface

product: Ethernet Controller 10G X550T

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 0

bus info: pci@0000:86:00.0

logical name: enp134s0f0

version: 01

serial: xxxxxxxxx

size: 1Gbit/s

capacity: 10Gbit/s

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd 10000bt-fd autonegotiation

configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=ixgbe driverversion=5.5.5 duplex=full firmware=0x80000483, 17.5.9 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s

resources: irq:298 memory:d3c00000-d3ffffff memory:d4004000-d4007fff memory:d4200000-d427ffff

*-network:1 DISABLED

and o/p of ethtool -i

controller-0:~$ ethtool -i enp134s0f0

driver: ixgbe

version: 5.5.5

firmware-version: 0x80000483, 17.5.9

expansion-rom-version:

bus-info: 0000:86:00.0

supports-statistics: yes

supports-test: yes

supports-eeprom-access: yes

supports-register-dump: yes

supports-priv-flags: yes

Can you tell me what could be reason, and what should I do?

0 Kudos