Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4791 Discussions

How to enable VLAN on Latitude 7490 I219-LM NIC, Windows 10 Pro.

IMous1
Beginner

Hi all,

I am trying to enable VLAN on my Latitude 7490 I219-LM NIC, Windows 10 Pro.

Even though Priority/VLAN is enabled on the NIC, the VLAN ID field in Device Manager/Advanced is not available for that NIC.

I am using latest driver 12.18.8.9. (. . . I think it is the latest)

Would anyone please help ? Is VLAN really supported on that NIC ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Caguicla_Intel
Hello IMous1, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. If you are using Windows 10 version 1809, Teaming and VLAN features in PROSet for Windows device manager have been removed. Windows 10 1809 (and later) and Microsoft* Windows Server* 2019 (and later) no longer supports this function. Please use PowerShell to create VLAN. Steps to vreate VLAN in Windows Powershell*: 1. Open Windows Powershell as administrator. 2. Import the PROSet Powershell* module using this command: Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets" 3. Type "Get-IntelNetAdapter" to display the name of your network adapter. 4. Type "Add-IntelNetVLAN" to initiate the creation of VLAN. When prompted for "ParentName", you can use the name of your network adapter from the "Get-IntelNetAdapter" output. The PowerShell commands for Intel PROSet are described in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html You may also visit this link for the Intel® Ethernet SW 23.5 Release Information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031823/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Let us know if you successfully created a VLAN. Looking forward to your response. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
IMous1
Beginner

Hi Cristelle,

Thanks to your instructions, from a powershell perspective, i can configure the VLAN, but i don't see the packets from the NIC being tagged.

I see that an additional interface is available in the Device Manager labelled with the created VLAN ID.

Is there anything else to configure ?

When using Add-IntelNetVLAN, i was prompted ParentName[0] and [1], VLANID[0] and [1], I only used the [0]s.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello IMous1, After creating your VLAN from Power shell, did you try to use it or tried assigning it to one of your VM? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
IMous1
Beginner

Hello Michael,

After creating the VLAN from PowerShell on PC1, I closed the PowerShell console and connected the ethernet port to another PC 2,.

Then I tried to browse a page hosted on the other PC 2.

I ran wireshark on both PC and could not see the VLAN tag in packets sent from PC1.

I am not using a virtualized environment, just a regular laptop.

My goal is to have packets sent from PC1 to be tagged with VLAN 200.

I wonder if I should "force" the traffic to go through the new network interface that advertise VLAN200 in his name - but i am not quite sure.

Could you please help ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello IMous1, To clarify, you were able to create VLAN using PowerShell? So the issue is you want every packet to pass through VLAN200? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello IMous1, Good day! Sharing this link with you as this might help on your implementation. My Sniffer Isn't Seeing VLAN, 802.1q, or QoS Tagged Frames https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005498/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Let us know if you were able to check the above link and tried out the recommendation. Looking forward to your response. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello IMous1, Please let us know if you were able to check the link that we provided and if it helped you on the problem. Looking forward to hear from you. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello IMous1, Please let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications for this matter. Looking forward to hear from you. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello IMous1, Kindly give us an update if you were able to check the link that we provided and if it was of help to you on your query. Please be informed that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Dell system. For OEM on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. Please visit this link for Support Options for Intel® Ethernet Controllers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=oem+network Looking forward to hear from you. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos