Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
JAase
New Contributor I

I didn't say it didn't work.

I asked if anyone had tried it.
0 Kudos
GCatt
Beginner

Read one page back. Someone tried it on Windows 10 1703 and ANS doesn't work.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

What do you know.

Build on final RS2 is 1703, NOT 15063 . It's out on MSDN now.

Anyone tried it?

Since it's oficially out on MSDN now, and rollout is starting tomorrow, I would guess we will have new working drivers within a few weeks ... it they don't work on 1703.

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

johnkristian wrote:

Build on final RS2 is 1703, NOT 15063 .

1703 is Version. 15063 is Build. RedStone 2, commonly known as "Creator's Update" is Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.14.

If you right-click on the Start Button, then click 'System', on RS2 it will show:

Edition: Windows 10 xxxxxxx where x = Home, Professional, Enterprise

Version: 1703

OS Build: 15063.14

All this pedantry over version/build/name is not helping. Intel says these features work on Windows 10. For the majority of the time Windows 10 has been available, they have not. That needs to change.

CARL_W_Intel
Employee

RS2 ANS/teaming will be supported in revision 22.3 of the SW driver, due out the end of May/early Jun 2017. This is to fix a new issue not related to the blocking issue with RS1. I will also update the other thread.

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

Is it now the policy of Intel to offer very limited support for flagship features on their NICs? It seems ridiculous to pay as much as Intel is asking for NICs and never knowing if the the features are going to break, and waiting a year and a half for them to be resolved.

In this specific case, End of May is outside the 35-day update delay allowed by Windows 10. Any Windows 10 Intel ANS customer not on LTSB is going to have promised functionality broken, AGAIN. Is Intel doing anything to address the big picture issue of their premium features not being reliable?

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

Not sure whats happened here but without teaming both my NIC's windows 10 Creators (15063.13) is now abled to transfer files @235MS/s Checking both nic's via task manager/Performance and i can see both nic's running at 998mbps. So it seems MS have done something that makes both nic's team without using intels ANS. Can some else confirm this?

Update: SO it seems MS have deployed code within Creators Update (15063.13+) which bonds multiple ethernet ports together automatically . Vlans and teaming will not work via ANS as you know. So the picture im building is this... MS have allowed windows 10 to Auto team (bond) without any user config. This is probably why intel cant get teaming to work. As for Vlan..... We could be seeing the end of this with win10 if this is in fact the way MS is going. Maybe MS has future plans to add Vlan to the OS but for now im guessing this is the end for intel's ANS?.

0 Kudos
rShie1
Beginner

Whats your setup? Managed switch? Please tell use what you did. Thanks.

0 Kudos
DMcCo3
Novice

Thanks for pointing that out! I have gotten used to either disconnecting one of the network cables or disabling one of the ports with the updates/upgrades until installing ANS drivers as it'd cause whatever Windows OS not to function network wise in the past. Seems to work well enough with what it's doing so far. Looking forward to future ANS versions but at least have something in the meantime.

0 Kudos
GCatt
Beginner

On Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions, you can set a group policy to delay feature updates for up to 180 days. Read this article to find out how:

http://pureinfotech.com/prevent-windows-10-installing-creators-update/ How to prevent Windows 10 from installing the Creators Update • PUREinfoTech

Cheers!

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

I dont believe my setup has anything to do with this, I do have a managed switch but done no config, In fact my switch has been at default ever since ANS stopped working. i have also noticed MS bonding/Teaming only works from Windows to windows systems running latest version of Windows10, My NAS boxes have dual ethernet and i cannot get any of my windows systems (8) to transfer to Nas aboxes above 115MB/s (even thous NAS boxes are using donded ethernet). This maybe due to switch config but ill be looking into this today and will report back.

Carl_Wilson has suggested a newer driver will be availble in may/june (thats as insult to users IMO) but if this is the direction MS is taking Networking within windows then i wouldnt use ANS anymore because i see a world of conflict between the two.

TBH i'd would rather MS take over networking features because Intel developers havnt got a clue and there time scale for updates/fixes is a freaking joke at best. Roll on RYZEN.....!

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

Memories4Life wrote:

without teaming both my NIC's windows 10 Creators (15063.13) is now abled to transfer files @235MS/s

Is it possible what you are seeing is this? https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2012/06/28/the-basics-of-smb-multichannel-a-feature-of-windows-server-2012-and-smb-3-0/ The basics of SMB Multichannel, a feature of Windows Server 2012 and SMB 3.0 – Jose Barreto's Blog

I cannot find any mention of this being newly available in 1703 for when the server is a client version, but who knows? If this surprising speed improvement only affects file transfer, this might be the reason. The headline says "a feature of Windows Server 2012", but the linked article mentions, among the requirements, "[a]t least two computers running Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8". This might be interpreted to mean that it has worked between clients from the start.

I don't suppose you have never tried it with two interfaces on each side before, have you?

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

chrullrich that is what im experiencing. So this is what MS have included in 15063.XXX which now explains why intel are not abled to have ANs working. Sounds like ANs is in conflict with SMB Multi 3.0. i'd rather MS take over/include all nework tools vlan/teaming etc as intel are way too slow.

I don't suppose you have never tried it with two interfaces on each side before, have you? Not sure what you mean?

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

Memories4Life wrote:

chrullrich that is what im experiencing. So this is what MS have included in 15063.XXX which now explains why intel are not abled to have ANs working. Sounds like ANs is in conflict with SMB Multi 3.0. i'd rather MS take over/include all nework tools vlan/teaming etc as intel are way too slow.

I don't suppose you have never tried it with two interfaces on each side before, have you? Not sure what you mean?

You know, I keep being amazed at what conclusions people reach from zero, and even contrary, data.

• There is no evidence that SMB3 multichannel has not been available between (only) client SKUs before. Perhaps your environment recently changed in some way that now allows it to work.
    • There are plenty of posts on various forums that at least imply that multichannel connections between client OSs have been working since Windows 8.1 at least.
  • Unless you have packet traces to that effect there is, in fact, no evidence that SMB3 multichannel is even responsible for your transfer speed, although it does appear likely.
  • There is no evidence whatsoever that the current lack of ANS functionality on 1703 has anything at all to do with the availability of SMB3 multichannel.
  • On the contrary, @Carl_Wilson recently stated that ANS will be working on 1703 with a driver release expected in late May, which I interpret as meaning that the current drivers were never meant to work on 1703 from the start.

Wishing for Microsoft to provide this functionality rather than the hardware manufacturer is also surprising, given that this entire thread exists only because Microsoft consciously decided to withhold it from client OSs.

When I asked about using two interfaces on each side, I meant whether this might be the first time you had the opportunity to notice increased speed because you did not have two parallel network interfaces on both systems involved before. Just a guess.

0 Kudos
LJ
Beginner

For the past 2 yrs i have had multi Nic's open on 8 systems waiting for intel to fix this. Up untill last week the Max speeds i was getting was 115.MB/s using only 1 nic out of multiple installed on 1 system. Last Tuesday i update to RS2 (15063.13) then noticed my speeds had gone up to 235MB/s (2 Nic's). Yesterdays update 15063.138 and all is the same. So it does look like SMB (props for finding that artical) is what is allowing this to happen (but only between win10 clients), i also removed intel drivers today and re-installed (different versions) without installing ANS and system is still bonding the Nic's.

IMO.. Networking is an important part of todays systems and if intel cannot provided working drivers that fully support all protocals then step aside and let MS deal with it. Realtek had the same problem and issued a fix promptly why has intel taken over 2yrs?

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Multichannel SMB works on win10 and is nothing new, and has nothing to do with this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4 Quadruple Your Network Speed for $100 with SMB 3.0 Multichannel! - YouTube

Carl Wilson has been wery clear what we can expect, and has explained well that (not why) current drivers doesn't work in build 1703. So keep calm and carry on.

I've had intel wifi issues with the RS2 build, but it doesn't have to do anything with this post ... what happend to staying on topic?

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

OOOOOOFFFF

I thought for sure this issue was fixed, but then as soon as I upgraded to 1703, my team was gone. I can add a new team, but the NIC team stays disabled.

When this happened last year, you couldn't even add the team, but now you can add a team, but it sits there disabled.

So is there an "official" statement from Intel stating the the new builds of W10 will cause teaming to fail?

What a mess.

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

ALSO:

After you remove the non-working team and try to reapply that same IP that was used by the Team you'll get an error like the following:

"The IP Address xxxxxxx you have entered or this network adapter is already assigned to another adapter "Team1" ....

When I initially set this up I remember you had to delete some registry values in order to free up that IP address again.

I searched around, but I can't find that Intel article.

ANYONE? Our webserver has been down for a good 6 hours now.

Cool.

0 Kudos
CLuce
Novice

Smartest thing you can do is roll-back the update.

0 Kudos
ssean3
Beginner

ROGER THAT. However, it looks like they won't have an update to the driver until JUNE?! I mean, if it goes anything like last year, add 3 months on to that.

Impossible to go that long without updating.

Also, if anyone needs to uninstall their team, going thru the NIC properties won't remove it completely.

Gotta do this:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005781.html Unable to Uninstall Teams, Intel® Network Connections, or Intel®...

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

oh, ok.

0 Kudos