Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

I225-V BSOD with virtualization features enabled on Win11

funkyd
Beginner

Hello,

I have a relatively new Windows 11 build and receive a kernel security check failure BSOD when attempting to update from the older v1 NDIS miniport driver to the latest v2 NetAdapter miniport driver.

I've narrowed this down to Windows virtualization... uninstalling Windows Subsystem for Linux and Windows Sandbox allows the v2.1.1.7 ethernet driver to install and the system appears to be stable. However, installing either the WSL or WSB features results in the above BSOD upon the 2nd reboot. If either WSL or WSB are already installed when attempting the update from v1.0.2.22 to v2.1.1.7 of the ethernet driver, the BSOD happens immediately.

Could someone verify the above happens in a test environment as well? Below are my system specs:

Asus Prime Z690-A Motherboard

Intel i9-12900K CPU (default clockspeeds)

32GB Crucial DDR5 memory

NVidia RTX 3090 GPU

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB and Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVME SSDs

Asus ThunderboltEX4 Add-on card

Apollo Twin MK2 Duo TB audio interface

Windows 11 Pro

Latest Windows updates and driver updates installed

An additional note: I've disabled most non-critical drivers such as the Apollo, as well as software drivers such as OpenVPN, during my testing. Enabling the virtualization features appears to be the root cause of the BSODs.

If you need any additional information please let me know. I realize this latest driver is still not available via Asus, and I've been using the older v1 driver in the meantime, which works without issue.

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We'd like to set your expectation that for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller I225-V, we have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. But don't worry as we will still provide our best effort support to help you resolve the issue. 

Please provide us some time to have this check. Is it okay if we can ask 2-3 business days to provide you an update? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

funkyd
Beginner

Thank you Zigfreid! As I mentioned, I'm working successfully off the older OEM drivers, but wanted to bring up my issues with the latest Intel drivers in the event there is a compatibility issue with Windows 11 virtualization features. I appreciate you looking into this and will keep an eye out for your update.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Thank you for advising, we will notify you as soon as we can provide you our recommendations. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

We would like to recommend you to please reinstall the v2.1.1.7 (27.2) then try the clean driver procedure.  

Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Microsoft* Windows* 11

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/727998/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-microsoft-windows-11.html

If your still encountering a BSOD, provide as an SSU log and generate an Application and System logs from Windows Event logs.

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

*Windows

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log

4. You can attach the log on the thread.

How to generate an Application and System logs from Windows Event logs

*Go to Search, type Event Viewer

*Inside Event Viewer application and under Windows Logs, select Application then click Save All Events As... 

*Do this on System to generate logs as well. Both file name should be in .evtx format.

Please take note that the recommendations that we are providing you is our best effort support only, since this may be an OS related as well. However we will try to assist you if the issue still persist and once you have provided the requested information.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
funkyd
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

I still received the BSOD after a clean install. Please see the requested logs attached. Thank you for the help!

Edit: I've also uploaded a WinDbg analysis of the minidump file, hopefully this is useful.

Edit #2: I noticed the following in the WinDbg analysis:

FAULTING_SOURCE_LINE: minio\netcx\translator\rxscaling.cpp

FAULTING_SOURCE_FILE: minio\netcx\translator\rxscaling.cpp

FAULTING_SOURCE_LINE_NUMBER: 760

FAULTING_SOURCE_CODE:
No source found for 'minio\netcx\translator\rxscaling.cpp'

After some research, I wondered if Receive Side Scaling may be causing the issue. I disabled RSS on the I225-V NIC by running the following elevated PowerShell command:

disable-netadapterrss -Name Ethernet

(Ethernet being the friendly name of my I255-V NIC)

After this, I was successfully able to install the latest v2.1.1.7 driver with no BSOD. Therefore, the problem seems to stem from RSS, which is enabled by default.

I also noticed v2.0.1.3 of the drivers are now available via Asus as of a few days ago, and exhibit the same BSOD behavior with virtualization and RSS enabled, so I have opened a ticket with Asus as well. I hope this information is helpful in tracking down the root cause of this issue.

0 Kudos
funkyd
Beginner

I have one additional update: Upon further testing, the BSOD does not occur when the E-Cores of my Alder Lake processor are disabled. In summary, the following circumstances result in the BSOD:

• Alder Lake system with E-Cores enabled
  • Intel ethernet driver that utilizes the NetAdapter miniport driver (such as the latest Intel LAN v2.1.1.7 driver)
  • Default RSS settings (RSS enabled) on the ethernet adapter
  • Windows virtualization features enabled, such as Windows Sandbox, Subsystem for Linux, and possibly Hyper-V

I was able to work around the issue while keeping RSS enable by disabling E-Cores for RSS with the following command (ethernet being the name of my I225-V integrated NIC):
set-netadapterrss -name ethernet -MaxProcessorNumber 14

This forces RSS to only use the first 8 cores, which are the P-Cores. RSS ignores hyperthreaded cores by default. I also ran the command set-netadapterrss -name ethernet -MaxProcessors 4, as RSS appears to use half of the available cores with default settings. After running the above, I am able to update to the 2.1.1.7 driver without BSOD. My theory is, when virtualization is enabled, a BSOD occurs when RSS attempts to utilize the E-Cores.

I hope this information is helpful and will help an engineer replicate this problem internally.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Thank you very much for providing us a detailed update as well as a new set of logs. We will need to further check this first before providing you our recommendation, please provide us some time. Is it okay if we can provide an between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
funkyd
Beginner

Thank you Zigfreid, I will keep an eye out for your follow-up. If you need additional information please let me know.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
funkyd
Beginner

Thank you Zigfreid. I also received an update from Asus support, their engineers were able to replicate the issue and recommended using the older 1.0.2.14 driver at this time. I am not sure if they are escalating the issue to Intel/Microsoft, however.

That said, I have had no issue with the 2.1.1.7 driver after making the modifications to RSS mentioned in my above post, so this appears to be a suitable workaround until the root cause is determined.

0 Kudos
DarthMeh
Beginner

I recently upgraded my Intel I225V drivers to 2.1.1.7 and I've been experiencing BSODs/bugcheck 0x00000139 errors during boot. I'm also using WSL. My PC specs are very similar to yours, except I have an Asus Z690 Apex, and I'm seeing the exact same issue in every dump file:

AULTING_SOURCE_LINE:  minio\netcx\translator\rxscaling.cpp

FAULTING_SOURCE_FILE:  minio\netcx\translator\rxscaling.cpp

FAULTING_SOURCE_LINE_NUMBER:  760

FAULTING_SOURCE_CODE:  
No source found for 'minio\netcx\translator\rxscaling.cpp'

SYMBOL_NAME:  NetAdapterCx!RxScaling::SetIndirectionEntries+2c3

MODULE_NAME: NetAdapterCx

IMAGE_NAME:  NetAdapterCx.sys

I reverted back to 1.0.2.14 and so far, so good. I didn't check to see if RSS is enabled with the newer driver, but it makes sense that the driver might be incorrectly enabling it.

I'm glad I found this post because I was pulling my hair out. Thanks, funkyd! Nice sleuthing. I feel really bad for people who install this driver and don't know how to analyze dump files.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Thank you very much for providing us an update and we are glad that your OEM (Asus) was able to provide you a work around for the time being until the root cause is determined.

We would like to ask if you would still like to wait for the response from our engineers since we are still coordinating with them and haven't yet got an update?

Also please take note that we cannot guarantee anything as this is LOM (LAN on Motherboard), please advise us if you are still wanting to continue the case with us?

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.  

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
funkyd
Beginner

Hello Zigreid,

I would prefer this case remain open, at least until engineering is able to confirm there is an issue. I believe this issue extends beyond Asus hardware and could be replicated in any Alder Lake system with an I225-V NIC configured as I described above.

Thank you for the updates!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Thank you very much for advising we will continue to have this check with our engineers and provide you an update once we have a response from them. Please provide us another 2-3 business days for this. If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

We do apologize for the delay since we will not be able to provide you an update today, as the case is still escalated to our engineers and its currently being further investigated. Rest assure that we are closely monitoring this case and once an update is available we will notify you immediately. 

We would like to ask for more time for this, is it okay if we can ask for another 2-3 business days to provide you an update? We thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
funkyd
Beginner

Thank you for keeping this ticket open, I appreciate that this is still being looked into.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Good day!

Please be informed that this request is still escalated to our higher level engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello funkyd,

Firstly we do apologize for the long delay since the case is escalated to our engineers for further checking.

Our engineering's is clarifying on how you were able to enabled RSS? We don't seem to see any RSS option in I225 NetAdapterCx driver 2.1.1.7. Both I225 and I226 do not support RSS. Please do advise us.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos