Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4880 Discussions

I225-V BSOD with virtualization features enabled on Win11

funkyd
Beginner

Hello,

I have a relatively new Windows 11 build and receive a kernel security check failure BSOD when attempting to update from the older v1 NDIS miniport driver to the latest v2 NetAdapter miniport driver.

I've narrowed this down to Windows virtualization... uninstalling Windows Subsystem for Linux and Windows Sandbox allows the v2.1.1.7 ethernet driver to install and the system appears to be stable. However, installing either the WSL or WSB features results in the above BSOD upon the 2nd reboot. If either WSL or WSB are already installed when attempting the update from v1.0.2.22 to v2.1.1.7 of the ethernet driver, the BSOD happens immediately.

Could someone verify the above happens in a test environment as well? Below are my system specs:

Asus Prime Z690-A Motherboard

Intel i9-12900K CPU (default clockspeeds)

32GB Crucial DDR5 memory

NVidia RTX 3090 GPU

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB and Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVME SSDs

Asus ThunderboltEX4 Add-on card

Apollo Twin MK2 Duo TB audio interface

Windows 11 Pro

Latest Windows updates and driver updates installed

An additional note: I've disabled most non-critical drivers such as the Apollo, as well as software drivers such as OpenVPN, during my testing. Enabling the virtualization features appears to be the root cause of the BSODs.

If you need any additional information please let me know. I realize this latest driver is still not available via Asus, and I've been using the older v1 driver in the meantime, which works without issue.

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Kangaroooo
Beginner

Same problem with WSL here, redirected from the ASUS forum.

To make the situation worse, the driver version 1.xxx will randomly disconnect from the Internet, showing the icon "Internet not available". But the 2.xxx driver will directly give me BSOD. I'm not sure if this should blame Microsoft, because I think it's clearly the newer driver making situation worse while not better.

0 Kudos
dobova
Beginner

I have uninstalled all WSL related software including Hyper-V, but still VMWare Workstation installed. This drive to BSOD anyway.

I see a new 27.6.1 driver version, including I225. Is this driver finally solving the BSOD issue? I have not installed yet. Someone has tried it?

0 Kudos