Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Installing/Running Ethernet Port Configuration Tool on ESXi 7.0 U2

dcalder
Beginner

We are configuring Supermicro servers with AOC-STG-i4S 4-port 10G cards with the Intel XL710 controller. Only one of the four ports seems to be active. We stumbled across the Ethernet Port Configuration Tool and the QSFP+ Configuration Utility, but running the files throws "not found errors" which makes me think the file needs to be run in a specific directory. Any insights on using these tools in the ESXi environment.

Firmware: 7.20

Driver: i40enu 1.8.1.136

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello dcalder,

Thank you for being patient. Upon checking the details VMware is correct. We recommend that you try to contact and check with Super Micro first for the latest Firmware and VMware drivers that may resolve his port issue.  

As much as we want to assist you our support might be limited since you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller. We understand that this is an Intel based controller however it would still be best if you can get in touch with Super Micro for further support since they have customized drivers and Firmware to enable or alter features on their adapter. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello dcalder,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Can you provide photos of the card on both sides focusing on the markings?
  2. What is the tool that you are using?
  3. Can you share the of your driver version i40enu 1.8.1.136
  4. Please share a screenshot of the issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dcalder
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, Michael.  I will get those photos uploaded shortly.

On question 3, did you want the link to the driver version? It's unclear.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dcalder,

Thank you for the quick update. I will wait for your next reply with the photos of the card. And yes, please share the link of your latest driver for us to check.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dcalder
Beginner

1. See attached images

2. Attempting to use the Intel Ethernet Port Configuration Tool Ethernet Port Configuration Tool - ESX* (intel.com)

3. Driver installed for this device VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

4. See attached file called screenshot.png

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dcalder,

Thank you for the quick reply. Please give us 2 to 3 working days to check these details and to provide an update.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dcalder
Beginner

I have a open ticket with VMware to verify the correct firmware and driver are applied. Here is their reply:

Thank you for the logs- I have verified that the driver/firmware for this card is falling behind. An update may fix the issue. Here is the information:

currently: driver i40enu 1.8.1.136 with firmware 7.20

Hardware Compatibility List: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=42569 (change drop down to 7.0u2)

According to the Hardware Compatibility List, update firmware to 8.3 then driver to 1.14.1.0

I do want to be clear that driver/firmware recommendations come from the hardware vendors, so double checking this information with that hardware vendor (Super Micro) may be best. Here is a KB on installing drivers: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2005205. I say this because it appears there are other NICs on the hosts using the same drivers (vmnics 4-7) and the Hardware Compatibility List for those NICs do not say the same drivers are compatible- here is the Hardware Compatibility List for those NICs: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=45017. Since that driver is not listed on the Hardware Compatibility List, this does not mean they are still compatible- it is very likely that Super Micro just has not updated us on the Hardware Compatibility List, while Intel (the other HCL) is updating us. Hopefully this makes sense!

Remember, update firmware with the hardware vendor first. Then update the driver. 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dcalder,

Thank you for the update provided by VMware. We are still checking the issue on our end. Please give us, please give us 1 to 2 working days to provide an update.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dcalder,

Thank you for being patient. Upon checking the details VMware is correct. We recommend that you try to contact and check with Super Micro first for the latest Firmware and VMware drivers that may resolve his port issue.  

As much as we want to assist you our support might be limited since you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) Ethernet controller. We understand that this is an Intel based controller however it would still be best if you can get in touch with Super Micro for further support since they have customized drivers and Firmware to enable or alter features on their adapter. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dcalder,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just checking if you already contacted the OEM manufacturer for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dcalder
Beginner

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm working with Supermicro directly to resolve this issue. 

0 Kudos