Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM (WinPE drivers)

egonz6
Beginner

Hi everyone,

We purchased a few DELL Optiplex 9020s that came with an Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM ethernet controller, and I've been unable to find the correct WinPE x64 drivers for this adapter.

From the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Ethernet+Components&ProductLine=Ethernet+Controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Ethernet+Connection+I217-LM&ProdId=3680&LineId=976&FamilyId=2280 Download Center I found what I thought were the correct drivers. In the EXE, I found some WinPE drivers, but apparently these aren't it as I'm not able to connect to my network when I boot up using WinPE.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the correct drivers please?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
36 Replies
CGreu
Beginner

Hello

I had same Problem with Dell Latitude E6540 and I think it's the same Driver needed in Opt9020. The Driver package from Dell has actually a Problem (in Version A01). So I've downloaded the Network Driver directly from here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Ethernet+Components&ProductLine=Ethernet+Controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Ethernet+Connection+I217-LM&ProdId=3680&LineId=976&FamilyId=2280 Intel Download Center). Extracted, I added the Driver of the following Folder: .\\PROWinx64\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS63.

Kind regards

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem here - cannot get I217-LM NIC to work with win PE. I tried Intel LAN Drivers 18_3, 18_4 and 18_5.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
MKozl1
Beginner

Problems here too with Dell, but I downloaded the 18.5's, extracted to flash, and f8'd the WinPE.

cd\Pro1000\Winx64\NDIS63

drvload e1d63x64.inf

ipconfig gave me an IP address. Going now to inject and test these drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much.

Finally i got it working.

I tried to add the Drivers to an offline WinPE Image but it seems, sometimes not all files were copied to the Destination. I removed the faulty Driver and readded it, then all files were copied and the NIC was recognized by WinPE.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
SS_4
Beginner

We recently purchased some Dell Optiplex XE2's and we're having this same issue. As soon as the machine boots into WinPE, it loses its IP address. Sadly, none of the drivers included seem to be working when I load them with drvload while in WinPE. Any additional help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
EBurc1
Beginner

We recently purchased HP Z230 workstation and have same issue. I217-LM drivers will not load into WinPE. Have tried adding all drivers from PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62 but none work. Checked driver on the computer I'm trying to take the image from and it is using e1d62x64.inf. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
JChai3
Beginner

Hello,

I had the same problem with laptop DELL latitude E7440.

This computer have a Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM controler.

When boot on my USB SCCM 2012 media to install Windows 7 x64, I haven't IP address.

So has said Runner1979, I try to load this driver \Pro1000\Winx64\NDIS63\e1d63x64.inf, and now i have an IP address

Now I can add this driver in my SCCM boot image

0 Kudos
ldas
Beginner

Hi, in case anyone is still having an issue with this the version of this driver I had to use was very specific. the latest realease did not work.

The driver was from release 18.6 and it was:

CatalogFile = e1d6332.cat

DriverVer = 08/29/2013,12.10.30.0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Amazingly not one single person has mentioned the version of WinPE they are using! Is the original thread referring to the problematic NDIS61 drivers in WinPE 2.1 or some other version? I'd like to help in testing a solution to the problem if it's the same one I've experienced but not one person can contribute with any certainty without details of the real issue here.

It might be just that since it's tagged with sccm2012 that a certain version of WinPE is implied so I apologise if I'm incorrect! For an observer with other products that use WinPE and this network chipset though it would be useful to specify the exact setup for them to assist.

0 Kudos
ED3
Beginner

I am having a similar issue. I have a Dell E6540 with the I27-LM and I am using Ghost Console. I have loaded the driver (version 19) from \\PROWin32\PRO1000\Win32\NDIS62 into my WinPE folder, but upon pulling the original stock image from the Dell I am getting a 127.0.0.1 IP address. I have seen this before with Ghost due to a driver that is not working. Ghost only likes Vista x86 drivers; however the I27-LM does not have a Vista driver. Any Ideas? I am trying other versions of this Intel driver (18.7 and 18.6) but it seriously takes 10 minutes to load each driver into Ghost, so I will be around.

0 Kudos
ED3
Beginner

GOt my fingers crossed...looks like PC-DOS is the way to go.

0 Kudos
CBell6
Beginner

Ok guys, I got a similar problem, and solved it.

I got some new computers with intel I217-LM ethernet controller. And I had to make it work with a Windows vista (6.1) 32bit WinPE .

So I downloaded the vista driver for I210 ethernet controller, extracted all files from the exe using winrar, then I edited the e1r6032.inf file from folder PRO1000\Win32\NDIS61 .

in the [Intel.NTx86.6.0.1] section I added:

%E153ANC.DeviceDesc% = E1533.6.0.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A&SUBSYS_1825103C

and in the [Strings] sections:

E153ANC.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) I217-LM Gigabit Network Connection"

What it does is use the intel i210 ethernet controller driver for the i217-LM device. I had to look up the device id in Windows, to make it match. So if you plan to use this method, check the device id of your network card first.

tpriv
Beginner

Kamouille: Nice suggestion, except I couldn't get it to work in GHOST WINPE 2.5. And like you stated make sure your SUBSYS matches.

We just recently got some dell 7020 and 9020 units and that is why i started to look. Symmantec doesn't do support for stuff like this, as GHOST is a dead product, but they are willing to sell you a maintenance kit if you want to upgrade your WINPE 2.5 to 3.0 but that should be free.

Both machines use the i217-lm NIC and would not allow us to use the GHOST WINPE and of course talk to the ghost console to push and pull images from the ghost client workstation app. We couldn't get an IP.

But now I was able to make up a driver set to work for i217 LM network drivers and storage drivers for the dell 7020/9020 as well in GHOST WINPE and now able to push and pull images from the ghost console without any issues.

If someone needs them let me know. send a pm or msg here.

0 Kudos
frami4
Beginner

Thanks Terry_Private. Same issue here with new DELL machines equipped with I217-LM. I need to ghost them and the WinPE does not network connect. It would be nice to get the drivers.

0 Kudos
tpriv
Beginner

pm me your email address, i will send it that way. or anyone else that needs it. waiting for the document to be approved before publishing.

0 Kudos
ITech7
Beginner

My issue is related to Intel Ethernet Connection 3 I218-LM device drivers for WinPE. The reason I am posting it on this thread is because it is almost similar to what is being discussed here. The NIC works fine within Win 7x64 and the hardware ID is listed as PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A2&SUBSYS_833810F7 in device manager. The laptop I am trying to troubleshoot is Panasonic Toughbook CF31-MK5 model. When I am trying to PXE boot and image through SCCM 2012 it is not able to get the network drivers installed and I get an error "Failed to find a valid network adapter". I have made sure the required drivers are part of the boot image for SCCM but still it does not work. Digging furthermore into the inf file that is part of the driver pack I found that the above Device ID is not at all listed...I have contacted Panasonic and they are saying it is working fine in their Labs...Any help from this forum will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi IT_Tech,

Thank you for the post. We will check on this and may i know where you avail of the Win PE driver?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi IT_Tech,

You may try the following:

1) Confirm with Panasonic support for the .inf and relevant files imported to the bootimage and WinPE version

2) Here is a third party website you may check regarding on checking which files are needed for the NIC, http://www.niallbrady.com/2011/08/31/missing-nic-driver-in-winpe-boot-image-no-problem/ http://www.niallbrady.com/2011/08/31/missing-nic-driver-in-winpe-boot-image-no-problem/

3) Try enable command prompt on the boot image and press F8 when running WinPE,check the logs or run other commands after the command prompt is bring up.

Refer to more detail at http://www.adamfowlerit.com/2013/10/08/troubleshooting-nic-drivers-in-winpe-for-sccm-2012/ http://www.adamfowlerit.com/2013/10/08/troubleshooting-nic-drivers-in-winpe-for-sccm-2012/

Hope the above information help. Please note also 3rd-party website which we provide for your convenience only. We do not endorse any of the contents within this site, and any issues that may arise from following the information, solution, and/or recommendation herewith is solely the responsibility of its provider.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
tpriv
Beginner

Great Thread.

I contacted Symantec regarding my procedure to get the i217 to work even in Ghost WinPE via GSS .

they published the article. Link as below.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-make-i217-network-adapter-work-gss-251-winpe How to make an I217 network adapter work with GSS 2.51 WinPE. | Symantec Connect

Terry

0 Kudos
MIcke
Beginner

Kamouille: Thank you so much for helping me out; this absolutely worked! How did you figure this out? Where did you get those strings to plug into the ini file? Thanks so much.

0 Kudos