Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel Network I225-V Nework issue persist even after FW upgrade

KT_Customs
Novice

Hello,

I have a question about Intel network I225-V. My ASUS Maximus XII Extreme suffer with this issue - https://wccftech.com/intel-foxville-i225-v-2-5gbe-networking-issues-persist-z490-motherboards-affected/ like there mentioned.

But when Intel planning to Supply the manufactures of the newest revision B3 of I225-V NIC on Z490 boards? Because mine is B2 revision and I have this issue when I turn on the PC or restart the PC. And it is very annoying when you playing games and streaming that the network connection will drop. This issue is happening intermittently also when playing games. And this is not all, my network speed drops to half when the connection is dropped and the renewed.

So on my side I have tested all things to get this work without issues. 

So I have tested the Firmware update on ASUS page for I225-V.

Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.
Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

Everything was success, the FW is actual, but...

And the issue still persist. I have tested the oldest and newest drivers of I225-V and nothing. So, when we can expect the B3 revision on Z490 Boards with I225-V? 

Thank you for your support.

136 Replies
VipeNess
New Contributor I
When will Intel give us a resolution to this issue?
0 Kudos
JT-Low-See
Novice

Where are we at with this Intel? Apparently I too just made the mistake of purchasing a board (Asus ROG STRIX z490-H Gaming) with the I225-V ethernet chipset on it and am constantly getting dropped network connectivity.

Tried new and old drivers from both Asus and Intel. Intel's 25.6 drivers made a big improvement in the speed, but did nothing to improve stability of the connection dropping.

Browsing websites is frustrating. Playing games is impossible. Time to come up with a fix!

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

Cap your speeds. It works for me when cap the upload speed on 20mbps. This is the only thing that fixes it, although It still drops the connection but it happens less often now.

Another thing you can do is to disable power saving & RSS. I read on Realtek old document (probably the same for intel) that when RSS is enabled the Rx uses fewer buffers. That could cause packet loss, so you might want to increase the Rx if use RSS.

You can use this site to check your bufferbloat. Thats what causes the connection drop when my upload is not capped. You need A or A+ Quality.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

About the fix that Intel posted, where says "Both Asus and Gigabyte confirmed that NVM 1.45 + LAN driver 1.0.1.4 do not have a performance issue" & fixes the problem. It doesnt work but improves the situation. I believe they think it works because of the internet connection they use. I think the problem only happens on certain connections or internet speeds.

0 Kudos
JT-Low-See
Novice

Thanks for the info. Just ran the test as shown below. I'm on Shaw Cable: 600Mbps download / 20Mbps upload. I haven't cap'd upload speeds. Should I still even though it's already showing A+ results? I've already tried NVM 1.45 + LAN driver 1.0.1.4 (that's what I currently have installed)

Capture.JPG

thanks,

0 Kudos
JT-Low-See
Novice

I just tried setting the SPEED & DUPLEX setting to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex instead of Auto and was actually able to get through 45 min of gaming without a LAN disconnect. Did see some packet drop warnings a couple times but nothing that significantly impacted gaming...will keep testing to see if this holds up over the next day or two...

0 Kudos
JT-Low-See
Novice
sorry, forgot I also disabled RSS:

netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled
0 Kudos
JT-Low-See
Novice

well that didn't hold up...back to disconnects. Tried several different configuration settings and various driver versions, none of which fixed it. 

I ain't pissin' around with this garbage.... i've ordered a different mobo with a different (non-i225v) ethernet controller and will be sending this one back.

Intel: the reason I pay more for your products is for rock-solid stability, reliability and performance. If you're not keeping up your end of the bargain, you're going to start losing more business than you already are to AMD and others...smarten up!

0 Kudos
Baetis
Novice

The only thing I did to fix this mayhem (Asus Rog Strix Z490-F Gaming MB) was to removed all the drivers and software suggested by Asus ArmouryCrate is the malicious bloatware that installed the faulty drivers, before installing these:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=184686

Didn't fiddle with anything, just installed and it works flawlessly out of the box.

Another thing that caused me problems was the Nahimic audio process grabbing 100% CPU, that too went away once I removed ArmoryCrate (which kept reinstalling the sonic audio crap which uses the Nahimic service) and installed audio drivers directly from Realtek.

I used these drivers found here:

https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2723:rog-strix-z490-f-gaming&catid=276&Itemid=169&lang=en

TLDR; remove ArmoryCrate and any drivers suggested by it, install drivers manually - avoid Nahimic at any and all costs - problem solved.

0 Kudos
Zeymer
Beginner

This is ridiculous, when i buy all brand new parts for a gaming pc this is just the most annoying thing that can happen. Like everyone else in this thread i also tried switching cables, ports etc. which is absurd cause everything worked perfectly with my old pc which was a piece of **bleep** lol. How one of the biggest company's can **bleep** up this bad is unreal to me.

Please come up with a fix! i can't play games due to disconnects every 10 minutes.

1.0.1.4 gets less disconnects than any of the newer drivers but it's still terrible..

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

This is my test. If I join a game, I will be disconnected wihin 5 minutes. Battlefield games have icons that show you whats wrong with your connection. It will show severe packet loss and high latency. Its unplayable. With that said, Ryzen 3 doesnt look bad at all. Just a random thought....

2.JPG3.JPG

0 Kudos
PL
Beginner

I have the same issue with b550 rog strix f and according to Asus, their board works fine... I lost patience with them and simply did a refund with newegg and bought a gigabyte x570 with the good ole 1gb ethernet.

0 Kudos
KT_Customs
Novice

I'm happy that there are many users having the same issue like me. I have returned my Maximus XII Extreme with i225-V NIC. Not using it since the issue appeared.

So i hope there manufacturers are finally using B3 revision of i225-V NIC to fix this issue on they're boards. Unfortunatelly I'm not going to switch to newest board or board with i225-V with older revision of NIC. Just need to be sure that everything is fully fixed before buying another HW.

0 Kudos
JT-Low-See
Novice

Yea I did the same. Returned my Asus ROG Strix Z490-H board with the i225-V and got a Asus TUF z490-Plus with i219-V 1Gb NIC instead. Even with that I see packet loss warnings in Battlefield games, but not bad enough to cause disconnects like i was getting with the i225-V.

0 Kudos
KT_Customs
Novice

JT-Low-See - Yea, while gaming and Discord with friends it was really annoying.. every time disconnected.. I have lost my nerves with that.

0 Kudos
aceridgey
Novice

I am suffering with this issue too with a Z490-E ASUS motherboard.

I believe 1.0.13 has the least issues, but with every windows update it forces 1.0.2.6 which is the worst for me.

I get ethernet disconnects, randomly for 10-20seconds once or twice everyhour.

I wish 1.0.2.6 didn't install through windows update, so I could at least test it for some time. 

Sarrb
Beginner

Asus Z490-H here with 1.0.1.4 and NVMupdate.

Doing 600 mbit on the integrated Intel versus 900+ mbit on Realtek USB 2.5 Gbe adapter (1Gbe negotiated).

Very disappointed in Intel that I have to use a dongle on my brand new PC to get full throughput on the Internet.

I hope Intel goes forward and provides affected users with a suitable replacement, such as a 2.5Gbe NIC on a PCIE interface, as the Intel NIC does not perform as advertised, and I had to spend extra money to get a properly functioning 2.5Gbe network adapter from another company.

Rottmeister
Novice

So where is the promised update ?

OlegD
Novice

This is a hardware issue in I225-v with no software solution.

I have Gigabyte Z490 AURUS ULTRA rev 1.1 with the same issue. Intel and partners lies about this solution.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

This solution does not solved freeze on outbound traffic.

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

I also have Gigabyte Auros Elite rev1. But its Realtek NIC. Same problem like my Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING with Intel NIC. Both are 2.5Gbit. I also believe its something to do with technology. When I had 50mbps (50Download & 25Up) connection I didnt have that problem. It started when upgraded to 100mbps (100Download & 50Up). I have no idea if its a coincidence ot not or the speeds affect it. What I do to mitigate the problem so I dont drop every hour is capping my upload speeds + the fix intel provided but IM NOT EVEN SURE IF THAT FIX HELPS OR NOT. 

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

INTEL SHOULD DROP FIRMWARE & DRIVER UPDATES EVERY WEEK, NOT JUST SHOWING A "FIX" THAT CLEARLY DOESNT WORK FOR EVERYONE (IF AT ALL) AND ACT LIKE CASE IS CLOSED. ITS NOT !!!

OR MAYBE INTEL DOES NOT CARE BECAUSE ONLY A FEW PEOPLE ARE "COMPLAINING" ON THEIR FORUM. MAYBE THEY WAIT FOR PEOPLE TO GET OUTRAGED ?! OR MAYBE ARE HELPLESS TO FIX IT.

AT LEAST ACT LIKE YOU CARE.

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

I feel majority of the new posts on this thread aren't reading through *all the posts on this thread*.  Please review the following at the link below as it will answer a lot of your questions and frustrations.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-Network-I225-V-Nework-issue-persist-even-after-FW-upgrade/m-p/1230576/highlight/true#M22606

It has been identified that Intel messed up (this spans numerous motherboards across the industry - different vendors, etc.) and we are now waiting to hear what Intel is going to do to fix the issue once and for all.  There have been reports in different threads were users are starting to talk about class action lawsuits.

0 Kudos