Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Intel i217L adapter low performance issue

Geppo
Beginner

Hello,

I have an HP ProDesk 600 G1 using an integrated I217L showing very low performance (transfer speed is limited to 150-160Mb/s). I already updated the motherboard's bios to the latest available, without any performance enhancements. Adding an Intel 82574L in a PCI-Express slot (as well as other manufacturer gigabit

adapters) bring to a stable 800-900Mb/s sustained transfer rate using the added network adapter.

The issue was tested in Windows PE (10) using a boot cd, as well as in Windows 7 x64 using Intel ProSet, using LanSpeedTest 1.3.2 as well as trasferring a very large file.

Disabling/enabling any of the offload (as well as all other) options produce no effects.

Some yars ago I got a similar issue with an Acer notebook, fixed by a firmware update of the network adapter (only) supplied directly by Intel.

Anyone got a similar issue with this adapter model and found a way to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Geppo,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Geppo
Beginner

​Thank you very much for your support.

In the meanwhile I further investigated the issue and I think I found a fix. Disabling all IP/TCP/UDP checksum offload options seems to fix the issue (large send offload settings are irrelevant). I didn't discover the fix previously (although I already tried to disable all offload options) because it needs a reboot to become effective (very odd). I verified its behaviour changing back and forth the offload options, rebooting after every change.

I run these tests on Windows 10 1903. Unfortunately I cannot test it anymore on Windows 7 because of the windows upgrade.

What I sincerely don't understand is why now it works also in PE10 and PE3.1 considering they load a standard driver (with offload enabled).

Please note anyway that the issue never came up with an Intel 82574L inserted in a PCI-Express slot.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Geppo,

Thank you for the update.

We are glad to hear that the issue has now been fixed. With this, we'd like to check if you have any other assistance needed on this matter? In case you do, please let us know and we will be glad to be of help.

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Geppo,

How are you doing today? 

Please be informed that we will now proceed in closing this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow up. In case you have additional questions and clarifications in the future, feel free to post a new question.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Geppo
Beginner

Hello,

I'm sorry for my delayed reply, I was out for holidays. I had no opportunities to further investigate on the issue, but it sounds as fixed, so I think you can close the support request.

Once again, thank you very much for your support.

Best regards.

Geppo

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Geppo,

You are very much welcome. We will be more than glad to help you with any other inquiry that you may have in the future.

May you have a great day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos