Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Intel i219-V System interrupts after WOL when Machine is awake

pembertj
Beginner

We are running into an issue where I work with all computer models having Intel i219-V network cards.  Basically if a computer is awake and our management system send it a WOL magic packet, it will cause System Interrupts to eat up 10-25% of the CPU indefinitely until the machine is restarted.  I cannot just disable WOL as we need it for management purposes.  

Disabling the WOL/magic packet features makes the issue not happen

I have ran into this issue while running the following drivers for i219-V network cards:

There were more driver versions as well but I do not have them written down.  Has anyone ran into this issue before or have a fix?

0 Kudos
35 Replies
pembertj
Beginner

It also happens on the newest download (as of 12/4/2020) - driver version 12.19.0.16

0 Kudos
pembertj
Beginner

Sorry post should say

not

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issue with Intel i219-V network cards. For us to further assist you on this request, please provide the information below. 

1.) How many systems are affected on this issue?

2.) What is/are the brand and model of your system?

3.) Are the drivers downloaded from Intel website?

4.) What is the Operating System used? 

5.) Kindly provide Intel® System Support Utility log from the system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Please refer to the steps from the link below.

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
pembertj
Beginner

1.) How many systems are affected on this issue?

About 150 machines

2.) What is/are the brand and model of your system?

mostly Dell Optiplex 5070 and Dell Optiplex 5270 AIO.  And one Microsoft Studio 2

3.) Are the drivers downloaded from Intel website?

Older drivers listed in my post are either auto-installed with Windows, or Dell/Microsoft Drivers for the model specified.  The newest driver (12.19.0.16) is from Intel's site

4.) What is the Operating System used? 

The majority of the 150 machines are on Windows 10 1909, with a few on Windows 10 1809

5.) Kindly provide Intel® System Support Utility log from the system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Please refer to the steps from the link below.

The link for the windows tool appears to be dead and not working

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj,

Thank you for providing the information requested.

We are sorry to hear that the link does not work on your end. I tried visiting the link again and is working fine. Alternatively, kindly refer to the steps below on how to extract the SSU logs.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Awaiting to hear from you.

I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days on case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
pembertj
Beginner

The SSU link worked today, not sure what was going on yesterday.

See attached log

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj,

Appreciate the prompt reply.

Please allow us to check on this request. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later then 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj,

Good day!

Before we further check this issue with our engineers, you mentioned that you tried multiple driver versions and it didn't help with the problem. With this, can you share if you also tried the driver provided by your manufacturer/Dell? 

Please be informed that the software drivers linked from Intel page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
pembertj
Beginner

I understand about getting the drivers from the OEM.  I tried 3 versions from Dell (older versions) and they all had the same issue.  I tried the Intel ones last as they are a newer build then the ones provided by Dell.  All of them had the same WOL issue.  I reverted the machine back to Dell drivers when I was done.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj,

Appreciate your swift response and kind understanding on this matter.

Please allow us to continue investigating this with our engineers. Rest assured that we will provide an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj, 

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please see below information for our findings on this matter.

The issue could also be related to board and Operating System as well. Have you tried contacting Microsoft about this? If yes, what was their suggestion? Kindly ensure that the BIOS and all drivers are updated. Can you also check if you will encounter a similar issue using a 3rd party LAN controller? 

We hope to hear from you soon as this will help in further investigating the problem. 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj, 

Good day!

We'd like to check if you read our previous post. If yes, kindly provide the additional information requested for us to continue with the investigation.

We will reach out after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
pembertj
Beginner

I am in contact with Dell who are looking into the issue.  I have not put a support ticket in with Microsoft but can attempt that next.

I did test the issue on a "clean" Windows 10 20H2 install and the issue still happened (with no extra dell drivers or tools installed)

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Pembertj,

We are just following up to check on the progress of your support ticket with Dell and Microsoft.

It looks like you need more time to provide the information that we asked.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj, 

How are you doing?

Before we continue investigating this with issue our engineers, we would highly appreciate if you can share some update after contacting Dell regarding this issue? Please also let us know if you will encounter a similar issue using a 3rd party LAN controller? 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
pembertj
Beginner

The support ticket was submitted to Dell by another person I work with.  They are on vacation until January 12th so I won't have an update until at least then...

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj, 

Thank you for the swift response.

We will patiently wait for your update until you've heard from them. We will also let our engineers be informed regarding the status of this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3-5 business days.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj, 

Good day!

We'd like to check the current status of the support ticket that was submitted to Dell. Feel free to share an update once you heard from them.

I have also escalated this request to our engineers as I mentioned on my previous post. Kindly check the details below for their inputs.

It is very unusual that the embedded LAN and its driver can cause system Interrupts along with WOL feature. Since you mentioned that once WOL was disabled, the issue disappears so it could be an Operating System issue as well.

Kindly try out the latest driver with version 11/05/2020,12.19.1.32 under 25.6 version. Please also be reminded to install the latest chipset driver for your motherboard.

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

Looking forward to hear an update from you.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
pembertj
Beginner

Dell contacted us back and said to try the NIC newest driver released in Dec for this model (12.19.0.18) - the issue still happened on the machine.   I also updated the bios at their request but that did not seem to help either.

These last tests have been done on a clean install of Windows 10 20H2 directly from Microsoft support media

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello pembertj, 

Thank you for the swift response.

Please allow us to further investigate the issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-4 business days. 

Hoping for your patience.

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos