Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Using NC-SI solely for manageability without connecting host interface (PCIe)

idata
Employee

Hi,

I'm seeking for the possibility of using NC-SI solely on Intel i210 NC without host connection via PCIe bus.

But I got negative answer from FAE of our local distributor.

Based on my understanding of Intel side-band technology, it should be ok in such usage. Also I found some statement at document 'Intel 82575EB GE controller manageability' as below:

In cases where a LAN device is used solely for manageability and its LAN PCIe function is disabled,

using the NC-SI Set Link command while advertising multiple speeds and enabling auto-negotiation

results in the lowest possible speed chosen.

Can anyone comment on such usage and also provide application note for using it at this way if it's feasible?

Regards,

Dunk

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Our Datasheets should help you with this, the Datasheet for all our Ethernet products can be found here: http://www.intel.com/products/ethernet/resource.htm http://www.intel.com/products/ethernet/resource.htm . This included a definition of the EEPROM settings. If you have an account to IBL (Intel Business Link) you can get different EEPROM versions for different capabilities (such as NC-SI). If you don't have IBL, your FAE can help with this.

In addition, your FAE should be able to help you, now thtat you know how to more clarly indicate what you are looking for (LOM vs NIC). With that contact, you can be connected to my organization which will do design and layout reviews for you (part of our service) and we can also help with customizing your EEPROM for only NC-SI.

- Patrick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for posting to the blog.

You cannot use NC-SI on a NIC (which is an add-in card), as it is a LOM (LAN ON Motherboard) technology. The NC-SI connections are not part of the PCIe connector used by an add-in card.

However, many use the term NIC when they meant LOM. If that is indeed what has happened here, then you can do what you are looking for with the Intel I210 Ethernet Controller. Many server designers still put down a dedicated management network port only for manageability that does not show up on the PCIe bus.

If you can provide some more information about your desired configuration (NIC vs LOM), then I may be able to provide additional guidance.

- Patrick

idata
Employee

Hi Patrick,

Great thanks for your reply.

Sorry for not putting each word in explicit way.

Let me put overall usage/design here for better explanation.

1. We're going to use i210 as LOM design, which means that there is no any expansion slot required there.

2. More specifically, we're trying to use i210 as a dedicated controller for BMC. And we don't want to share any traffic with host CPU.

So, yes and thanks, I got your point on the possibility of using i210 solely for manageability.

Do you have other suggestion, like app. notes, any document, that can help me on putting such design in use?

e.g.

Does any comment on setting the EEPROM for initialization?

Any notes for leaving which signals there disconnected (or pull high/low logic) that are related to PCIe host connection?

Dunk

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Our Datasheets should help you with this, the Datasheet for all our Ethernet products can be found here: http://www.intel.com/products/ethernet/resource.htm http://www.intel.com/products/ethernet/resource.htm . This included a definition of the EEPROM settings. If you have an account to IBL (Intel Business Link) you can get different EEPROM versions for different capabilities (such as NC-SI). If you don't have IBL, your FAE can help with this.

In addition, your FAE should be able to help you, now thtat you know how to more clarly indicate what you are looking for (LOM vs NIC). With that contact, you can be connected to my organization which will do design and layout reviews for you (part of our service) and we can also help with customizing your EEPROM for only NC-SI.

- Patrick

0 Kudos