Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

VLAN creation on Windows 10 Enterprise TP

CÒó
Novice

Hello, there.

This morning I upgraded my fully functionnal Windows 8.1 Enterprise installation to Windows 10 Technical Preview. Before that, I downloaded the Intel Network Adapter Driver from this website, version 20.1, for Windows 10 64 bits. After the driver installation, I had the VLANs tab in the network card properties. However, i'm unable to create a VLAN. The network card is automatically disabled then I receive an error message saying this (translated from french):

One or more vlans could not be created. Please check the adapter status and try again.

The window freezes and I have to force-close it. 802.1 option is of course enabled in the Advanced options tab. The event viewer always shows the same error when I try to create a VLAN:

Nom de l'application défaillante NCS2Prov.exe, version : 20.1.1021.0, horodatage : 0x554ba6a4

Nom du module défaillant : NcsColib.dll, version : 20.1.1021.0, horodatage : 0x554ba57d

Code d'exception : 0xc0000005

Décalage d'erreur : 0x0000000000264064

ID du processus défaillant : 0x19d4

Heure de début de l'application défaillante : 0x01d0ada33fd50576

Chemin d'accès de l'application défaillante : C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS2\WMIProv\NCS2Prov.exe

Chemin d'accès du module défaillant: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NcsColib.dll

ID de rapport : eefb5842-9220-4bad-93d3-774828c5736e

Nom complet du package défaillant :

ID de l'application relative au package défaillant :

I already tried to uninstall all the packages and drivers related to the network card. I deleted fantom network cards then cleaned up the registry. I tried to set some compatibility options to the given executable file, with no success. I tried to reinstall the driver with Drivers Signature disabled, tried to disable IPv4/IPv6 from the network card before trying to add a VLAN... I tried everything I found on Google.

Could someone help me, please?

0 Kudos
61 Replies
KBott
Beginner

Did the mess :-(

OK, i right now tested with the winodws 10 RTM Build.

While Installation of Driver works and VLAN´s can be creted, there is still a missing Piece.

VLANS stay deactivated and can not get activated !

Also, after deletion of VLANS there are orphans, that sometimes again Pop up in the UI...

Also, the Leftovers stay in the Network Manager

So currently i ended up with multipole same ID vlans ....

Since we are on RTM now, how about an Investigation ?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi HyperV_guy,

The operating system and the adapter driver is still under going tests.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
DJoni
Beginner

Any hint when next driver release is planned? Desperately need VLANs working

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi jonitis,

Thank you for the post. There is update or timeline regarding newer driver release yet.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
mhayr
Beginner

Same problem here. Updated from W8.1 to W10. Tried both 10.1 and 10.2 Intel drivers. I did full uninstall and reinstall. Not work.

First time I can create VLAN but can't get IP address.. I must reboot also after VLAN creation to get it display in Network connections.

Also VLAN deletion seems to be buggy.

And last time I had same error (one or more vlans could not be created....)

I have 82579LM adapter. I Win 8.1 it was worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Oki_h,

Thank you for the info. Will check on this.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
JB17
Beginner

Hi exact same problems here on HP Elitebook 8570w with Intel 82579LM, Need VLAN's to hook up to company network, however this happens ..

Windows 10 upgraded from 8.1 ent. driver removed and latest version downloaded.

Functionality is urgently needed , however current versions even run into bluescreens !

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi JeeBee,

Thank you for providing the screenshots. We'll check on this issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
CMcKi3
Beginner

I'm having the same issue where I can't make vlans and have a huge amount of orphaned adapters now and just had to roll these users back to Windows 7. When is a fix planned?

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Yes? Any news?

This is a real show stopper. Desperately need vlans to work. (HP branded Intel I210-T1 GbE NIC)

Has there been any patches for this in TH2 / november update for Windows 10?

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/12/first-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/# .VkSfh27pwRQ.twitter http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/12/first-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/# .VkSfh27pwRQ.twitter

"The renaissance of the enterprise PC" my ass.....

It would be great if Intel gave us any updates on this ... what is really the issue and what is being done to fix it.

SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi johnkristian,

Thanks for posting. I'm afraid we do not have new developments for this feature so far.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
NLaza1
Beginner

Hello,

I would like to check if there has been any updates on this issue?

This is a critical feature for us too. Even old Dell Latitude D630 laptops support VLAN tagging on the adapter itself in both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10!

Those have Broadcom NetXtreme ethernet adapters though.

I really hope Intel releases an updated driver for this...

Thank you,

0 Kudos
TBate2
Beginner

This is impacting my work, I am actually considering buying another network adapter brand to resolve this, can we please have a better update or at least a estimate as to when the issue will be resolved?

I only ran into this issue when the driver was updated...

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Tezza64,

So far we have not receive update about the driver release. Apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
NLaza1
Beginner

Hopefully Intel realizes that once they lose customers' trust it is very hard to earn it back. All kinds of computers (including some lower end laptops and desktops have this capability on Windows 10). How come Windows 10 didn't break VLAN support for Broadcom, Marvel, and Realtek equipment?

Also, how come with hundreds if not thousands of engineers there is still no fix for this? The only explanation I can think of is that Intel does not care.

That's my venting for the day. I don't even expect an update anymore I guess.

Thanks for nothing.

0 Kudos
NLaza1
Beginner

I agree with Ghostface and everyone else here. We need VLAN tagging everyday. And by now you could have written these drivers from scratch if you actually wanted to help us and hundreds or millions of other customers!

0 Kudos
NLaza1
Beginner

Are there any updates on the release of a driver with VLAN support? It is close to a year since you have known about this....

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Novi,

There is no update yet for the Win 10 driver that support Vlan. Please refer to website below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?v=t Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
NLaza1
Beginner

Oh trust me, I did refer to that and many other places... many times over. I was just hoping someone can tell me at least approximately when and at this point IF there will ever be a fix for this.

At least someone should have suggested work arounds for this for those of us that rely on this feature daily... It is very frustrating being a customer and not getting any support. I've been stuck using an ancient laptop or using Hyper-V just for VLAN tagging every time I need to do anything than DHCP.

Oh, and apparently Intel has a feedback form which I filled out in detail about this issue and checked the option for someone to follow up if needed - never heard a thing from anyone.

By the way for anyone that hasn't already done this or figured out their own workaround, there is a way to do VLAN tagging by using Hyper-V to create a virtual external switch and do the VLAN tagging on it. It's a hassle compared to natively supported VLAN tagging but at least it works. Your hardware has to be capable of running Hyper-V to do this.

0 Kudos
DGehr
Beginner

Novi: could you elaborate on the Hyper-V alternative? I know I can create a VLAN-tagged external virtual switch, but how can I configure Hyper-V to create two virtual adapters, both bound to the same physical adapter, one without VLAN tagging, and the second one on a VLAN (where the packets are untagged as they arrive)?

Thanks,

Daniel
0 Kudos
NLaza1
Beginner

Daniel,

That was the biggest limitation I ran into as well. You could untag a single VLAN this way, but you can't bind the physical adapter to more than one virtual adapter at the same time. Even then, switching between VLANs is not as quick and simple as when it is natively supported in a proper working driver coming from the manufacturer. By now it seems like they will never release working drivers. Abandonware?

Thanks,

Novi.
0 Kudos