Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

VLAN creation on Windows 10 Enterprise TP

CÒó
Novice

Hello, there.

This morning I upgraded my fully functionnal Windows 8.1 Enterprise installation to Windows 10 Technical Preview. Before that, I downloaded the Intel Network Adapter Driver from this website, version 20.1, for Windows 10 64 bits. After the driver installation, I had the VLANs tab in the network card properties. However, i'm unable to create a VLAN. The network card is automatically disabled then I receive an error message saying this (translated from french):

One or more vlans could not be created. Please check the adapter status and try again.

The window freezes and I have to force-close it. 802.1 option is of course enabled in the Advanced options tab. The event viewer always shows the same error when I try to create a VLAN:

Nom de l'application défaillante NCS2Prov.exe, version : 20.1.1021.0, horodatage : 0x554ba6a4

Nom du module défaillant : NcsColib.dll, version : 20.1.1021.0, horodatage : 0x554ba57d

Code d'exception : 0xc0000005

Décalage d'erreur : 0x0000000000264064

ID du processus défaillant : 0x19d4

Heure de début de l'application défaillante : 0x01d0ada33fd50576

Chemin d'accès de l'application défaillante : C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS2\WMIProv\NCS2Prov.exe

Chemin d'accès du module défaillant: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NcsColib.dll

ID de rapport : eefb5842-9220-4bad-93d3-774828c5736e

Nom complet du package défaillant :

ID de l'application relative au package défaillant :

I already tried to uninstall all the packages and drivers related to the network card. I deleted fantom network cards then cleaned up the registry. I tried to set some compatibility options to the given executable file, with no success. I tried to reinstall the driver with Drivers Signature disabled, tried to disable IPv4/IPv6 from the network card before trying to add a VLAN... I tried everything I found on Google.

Could someone help me, please?

0 Kudos
61 Replies
SGode1
Beginner

Yes still nothing on Microsoft's site either. Probably need to look at another OS for our organization.

0 Kudos
PHorn2
Beginner

Something seems to be happening, see here:

"

We have good news!

We have been testing the two Microsoft Hot-fixes (KB3140745 and KB3140743, depending on OS version) internally with our SW teams. The fixes look good, so we are moving to intercept our next SW driver release (Network Adapter Driver package version 21.0) targeted for the beginning of June to re-enable the Teaming and VLAN capabilities! This new driver will check to see if these hot-fixes are installed before allowing the settings to be changed. If your system doesn't allow fro the teaming/VLAN settings, it is an indication you need to install the hot-fixes).

"

0 Kudos
TBrow11
Beginner

Hi there,

Have you got any further updates on this?

0 Kudos
RMord
Beginner

This is a workaround for some people, I needed access to my main VLAN and the management VLAN. I am using two NIC's, one for my Windows 10 OS (VLAN100) and one for my Hyper V switch.

In the hyper V switch options allow management OS (Windows 10) to use the NIC and set the VLAN ID to whichever VLAN you need access to. All my VM's can access VLAN100 but my Windows 10 OS can now access VLAN 1 and 100.

It's not pretty but it works.

hth

Roy

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Yes ... this is getting ridiculous

CÒó
Novice

More than six months between the original message and now, and still no real answer. I don't really care if that's a Microsoft nor Intel problem. Work together to find a solution for your users! All of us here need this to work!

NLaza1
Beginner

Hello,

This is really not how a huge company like Intel should be letting customers down!

As seen by all the posts on this thread alone, people need this feature to work. For a great many of us this is a deal breaker. Without this my laptop is almost useless to me.

Do Intel and Microsoft not have the capacity to do this, or they just don't care?

Broadcom's adapters for 7+ year old hardware supports VLANs in Windows 10. Come on....figure it out!

I hope there will be updates soon before we have to start avoiding Intel hardware where we can.

0 Kudos
PHorn2
Beginner

I have opened a case with Microsoft support regarding this.

The answer was that Microsoft and Intel are aware of the problem and that they are working together to get it working.

In the last months there seem to have been several attempts at 'private hotfixes' - but none of them worked sufficiently.

Originally the plan was to get VLAN working until the November Windows 10 Th2 update. At the moment there is no clear target date.

JAase
New Contributor I

Ah. Thank you for sharing! Some info is always better than nothing

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

This is info intel could have provided also, at least.

0 Kudos
SInf
Beginner

Hi, I'm still waiting for a driver update to fix this annoying problem, but since my patience has come to an end, can anyone suggest me the model of an additional Broadcom or Realtek NIC I can purchase to update our company dell workstations compatible with VLAN capable drivers for Win 10 x64?

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

What I don't get, is that this wasn't discovered (?) during the long (public!) technical/consumer preview period (and all the builds after release).

G123
Beginner

I dont understand that after months this issue is still not fixed !

This is so important for my work, i need vlan tagging everyday !

Please fix this

JAase
New Contributor I

I'm still waiting for a fix for this. Can't upgrade our enterprise to Windows 10 before this is fixed.

The fix for this is taking a disturbingly long time.

SGode1
Beginner

Yes we are in the same situation and it is surprising how long this has been going on.

JAase
New Contributor I

Normally I've trunked in 10 vlans on my workstation. What does intel suggest I do when I'm going to upgrade to windows 10?

Have 4 quadport nics installed?! And I want 10Gbps, especially on some of the vlans, that makes things even more unpractical.

CÒó
Novice

Hi there.

Is there something new regarding the new Anniversary Update? Did someone tried creating VLANs or something with this build?

I'll not ask Intel about drivers updates, no official has ever replied to the questions asked here...

Regards,

Chris.

0 Kudos
EHast1
Beginner

Anyone at Intel awake out there?

This Windows 10/VLAN issue was first reported in June 2015 and it's 18 months later and still no fix.

Was told that the more expensive Intel NICs work (like the X540) but having forked out a small fortune discovered they behave the same as all the lower/on board NICs.

I currently have three security Workstations out of action.

Can we PLEASE have a date for a fix?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
bm5
Beginner

I would like to add my voice. need a working driver or process!

0 Kudos
AStev7
Beginner

Yeah adding my voice as well.

Windows 10 x64

OS Build 14393.577

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

Driver: 12.15.23.7 (04/08/2016)

When trying to create VLANs in the properties of the adapter, it just creates disabled Network Adapters, that I try to enable, but they don't and are still disabled and unusable.

This worked before when OS was Windows 7 x64 of course, it also didn't have the annoying "(2)" in the adapter name.

I'm hoping this is the same problem others are having and that the new version is on the way which will correct it? As semi-indicated here:

I'm a bit unsure as my setup doesn't have VLANs disabled from being created, they just seem to work.

0 Kudos