Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5163 Discussions

VMware 7.0.3g SR-IOV Support with Intel xxv710

OXIO_TechOps
Beginner

Has anyone seen this issue occur with VMs running in VMware 7.0.3g version utilizing SR-IOV with Intel xxv710 cards?

The Intel xxv710 cards have the following driver and firmware:

Driver Info:
Bus Info: 0000:88:00:1
Driver: i40en
Firmware Version: 8.15 0x800095e3 1.2527.0
Version: 2.1.5.0

Behavior being seen is that whenever a VM is started that it will reset the trusted settings for the VF. Is this behavior normal or has anyone been able to solve this behavior at a VM level?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello OXIO_TechOps,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Can you provide screenshot of the issue?
  2. Are you using a PCIe XXV710 or is it embedded on the board?
  3. What is the brand and model of your motherboard/system?
  4. Please share the link of your network driver.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
OXIO_TechOps
Beginner

Michael,

1. Can you provide screenshot of the issue?
    Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 3.23.30 PM.png

The VF id 0 Trusted mode will go from true to false when the VM that uses SR-IOV is started.

2. Are you using a PCIe XXV710 or is it embedded on the board? PCIe
  3. What is the brand and model of your motherboard/system? Dell Intel XXV710 Dual Port 25GbE SFP28 PCIe Adapter (Full Height)
  4. Please share the link of your network driver.
      We have tried the following network driver and firmware, all presents this behavior:
          - Installed via iDrac: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=dk4g2
          - Installed via Installed Firmware 8.40 and Driver 2.15.0 
          - Installed firmware - 8.40 , and 8.15 both showed same issues 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello OXIO_TechOps,

Thank you for the quick reply. Kindly provide more details about the issue.

1. Please provide photos of your XXV710 card on both sides for us to validate the unit.
  2. What is your OS and its exact version?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
OXIO_TechOps
Beginner

@Mike_Intel 

I cannot provide photos of the unit as it is in another country and in a datacenter. I can provide the PBA number which is J67322-002. The exact version of the OS is the following:

name=VMware ESX

version=7.0.3

buildnumber=20328353

licensename=VMware ESX Server license

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello OXIO_TechOps,

Thank you for the quick reply. Upon checking the PBA number that you provided. As per our Database, this is an OEM unit from Dell.

Kindly contact Dell for further assistance, they may have custom driver, software and firmware for your network card. OEM units may have been altered by the manufacturer that is why it has different behavior.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello OXIO_TechOps,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just sending a soft follow up hoping that you already tried contacting Dell for further assistance regarding the issue since your card is an OEM from Dell. We will wait for your reply. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
OXIO_TechOps
Beginner

Mike, 

Still having this issue with the resetting. Is there any way Intel can help further?

thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello OXIO_TechOps,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I understand, however the OEM manufacturer may have altered the unit that is why they also have custom driver, software and firmware for the their units.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello OXIO_TechOps,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just checking if you are now trying to contact OEM Dell for assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello OXIO_TechOps,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another follow up hoping that you are now talking with Dell for further assistance. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos