Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

WOL function with i217-V ends after 5 minutes.

Rotwang
Beginner

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and I hope you can help me.

I have a Fujitsu Esprimo 720P R1.47.0 computer updated to the latest BIOS, in which running Windows 10 Home updated to the latest version, the 20H2. I also updated the i217-V network chip driver to the latest available version, 12.19.0.16, and downloaded the latest PROSet utility. The router is a ZTE H388Q, with firmware updated to revision V7.0.0 R1 FW-25.
I have configured the system for Wake on LAN in the network chip, UEFI BIOS and router settings.
Within the local network the WOL always works well, while remotely, with access from the outside, it works only within the first 5 minutes, beyond which this ability ends.
Probably something I don't know goes into such a deep energy-saving state that not even the Magic Packet can wake up the computer anymore.
I wonder if this could be due to an i217-V chip configuration option and if, in any case, there is a solution.

Thankyou.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rotwang,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the information below that would help in checking your request.

1.) How many systems are affected on this issue?

2.) There's a newly released driver package form Intel website. Can you confirm if you already tried the latest driver from 25.6?

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283

3.) Can you share more information regarding 'it works only within the first 5 minutes, beyond which this ability ends.'

4.) Kindly confirm that 'Wake on Magic Packet' or 'Wake on Pattern Match' are set to Enabled from the Advanced properties tab of the i217 Ethernet controller?

Awaiting to hear from you. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Rotwang,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to carry out the recommendations that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rotwang
Beginner

Hello. Thank you for your interest and sorry for the delay in replying.
From what I have been able to understand in the various forums I have visited it seems that the responsible is the router - mine is a ZTE H388Q, with proprietary firmware FASTWEB V7.0.0 R1 FW-25.
But if you who are more experienced than me have different ideas, I am here to listen to your opinions.
As for the questions that have been put to me, I can confirm that:

1) only one system is affected by the problem: it is the computer of a lawyer my friend, that has this need, and that I am configuring at my home with my router, and which I will then deliver to my friend who will use it in his office where the same model of router is installed with the same internet provider;
2) the complete driver package is 25.6;
3) within the LAN the WOL functionality always works, without any time limit. But as regards the remote awakening of the system, for example from a smartphone appropriately configured and obviously disconnected from the local network, the awakening works only within the exact first 5 minutes of switching off the system, beyond which this is no longer possible;
4) "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on Pattern Match" are set to Enabled in the network card configuration environment.

As I have already mentioned, I have read in some forums that the malfunction is due to the proprietary firmware of the router provided by the ISP, which has a reduced set of features and is therefore devoid of a true permanent ARP table, so after 5 minutes it deletes the correspondence between MAC addresses and internal IP addresses.
But I don't know if this explanation is true. I'm here to hear your authoritative opinion as well.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Rotwang,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Due to the complexity of the issue, please allow us more time to check on your concern.

We will try to get back to you with an answer no later than 3 business days from now; although, we will reach out to you in case we need more information or if we already have developments regarding your concern.

0 Kudos
Rotwang
Beginner

Perfect, take your time, there is no rush. You are very kind!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rotwang,

How are you doing?

While we are checking on this, we hope you don't mind sharing with us if there is a different environment (another router) where you can test the system to further isolate the issue? 

Awaiting to hear from you. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rotwang,

Good day!

We are just making a follow for the additional information that we requested. Kindly advise if there is a different router where you can test the system to further isolate the issue? 

Awaiting to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Rotwang,

How are you doing? 

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Rotwang
Beginner

Hi. No, I don't have the ability to test the WOL with other systems or routers. However, the computer has now been delivered to my friend's office (where, I repeat, the same router that I have at home and on which I did the tests is operating), and I think that by now the whole question is over here. Thanks for the kind assistance!

0 Kudos