Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5000 Discussions

Wake on LAN do not work

Monaldinio
Beginner
I'm having a problem with Wake on Lan on my Intel NUC X15 laptop kit.

The laptop is connected to a Fritzbox 7490 via LAN cable. The necessary settings are set in the Fritzbox (computer can be woken up via Wake on Lan). Wake on LAN works without any problems with my old laptop.

I only have Microsoft Defender activated, no additional firewalls or virus programs. The Defender was also deactivated for testing, without success.

I think I've already narrowed down the problem. In the Device Manager - Network Adapter - Intel Ethernet Controller (3) I255 V - is no Energy/Power Management option (Properties). But there you can set, among other things, that the device should be woken up in energy saving mode when the Magic Packet is received.

I have configured Wake on Lan as best as possible. Additionally, I disabled the quick start option, to no avail.

With the latest driver package (v 28.3) the Ethernet controller does not work at all.

Here are a few screenshots of my settings.

I realy hope someone can Help. I need this WoL for my work.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Monaldinio
Beginner

And some more...

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Monaldinio,

Good day and thank you for contacting Intel Community Support

For the wake on LAN, please ensure the "Wake on magic packet when system is in the S0ix power state" option is enabled as well under the properties of the ethernet.

Please try to enable this first and let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Monaldinio
Beginner
Thanks for your answer.

As can be seen in screenshot #3 (and I have already written) the power management option is missing in the properties of the Ethernet controller. Accordingly, I cannot activate the Magic Packet settings.

As you can see in screenshot #4-7, all options (“Advanced” tab) for the Magic Packet are activated. The option “Wake on magic packet when system is in the S0ix power state” is also activated.

Beste Grüße,
With kind regards,

Martin
0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Monaldinio,

Good day and noted on this.

Could you please run powercfg /energy in the command prompt and let us know on the output? 

Additonally, you can also install our Intel Drivers and Support Assistant to verify on the latest drivers that is available for all of your Intel devices.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

AFAIK all NUCs from 11th generation on are configured in the bios for modern standby, with no S3 sleep state option.  powercfg /a will tell you if your NUC X15 laptop kit is also equipped with modern standby.

Most of the NUCs I've seen with modern standby have no Power management option for the ethernet controller in device manager; a recent 13th generation NUC I'm setting up does. Both types have wol magic packet and pattern match options in advanced settings. However, regardless of whether or not there is a Power management option, I've not seen any reports of NUCs with modern standby capable of being woken with a wol magic packet. Furthermore, with VPro versions, there are no commands available with Intel AMT to wake from modern standby. Both types of NUC with modern standby are, however, responsive to a wol magic packet to wake from the S5 (power off) state, if configured in the bios.

It's seems likely to me that if the NUC X15 laptop kit is equipped with modern standby, it cannot be wakened from modern standby with a magic packet, only from the powered off state.

If that's the case then Intel should already know all this.

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello Monaldinio,

Our apologies. Could you please let us know if you have updated the NVM firmware?

If not, please reach out to Asus to get the latest firmware and drivers since Intel® NUC Products Has Transitioned to ASUS as of January 16, 2024 for all software, firmware, BIOS support, and security advisories.

ASUS Contact Information:

Contact information for ASUS starting January 16, 2024:

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos