Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Wie kann ich die Netzwerk-Karte 82579LM dazu bringen, das sie merkt, wenn der Switchport down ist ?

BSchi7
Beginner

Ich habe einen PC mit einer Oboard-Netzwerkkarte 82579LM und 82579L, die ich an einem Cisco Switch betreibe.

Wenn ich den Port auf dem Cisco Switch deaktiviere oder den Switch reboote, bekommt das der Netzwerkport (82579LM) nicht mit und einige Programme frieren ein. 

Wie kann ich die Netzwerk-Karte 82579LM dazu bringen, das sie merkt, wenn der Switchport down ist ? ....oder rebootet wird, wie es die 82579L richtiger Weise tut ?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BSchi7,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please be informed that we only provide support in English and we are only using a translation tool to understand your post. 

Based on the translated post, "How can I get the 82579LM network card to notice when the switch port is down?

I have a PC with an Oboard network card 82579LM and 82579L that I run on a Cisco switch.

When I turn on the port on the Cisco switch or reboot the switch, the network port (82579LM) doesn't get it and some programs freeze. 

How can I get the 82579LM network card to notice when the switch port is down? .... or rebooted, as the 82579L does the right way ?"

With this, kindly share the following information for us to have a better picture of the issue.

1) System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

2) What is the exact model of the Cisco switch?

3) When you said 82579LM does not get it, are you referring to not getting IP address? Please share more details for us to understand it.

4) Just to double check if you are referring 82579L works fine while 82579LM does not, can you compare the configuration between these onboard NICs?

5) Does 82579LM and 82579L NIC are on the same PC? If yes, have you tried disabling the other onboard NIC 82579L 

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello BSchi7,

Good day!

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to check on your query.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BSchi7
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

sorry for my delay. I didnt notice your reply.

1.) I have attached the Scanlog.

2.) The Cisco Switcht im an testing with is a WS-C2960X-48FPS-L, but other types behave same.

3.) The PC/Network starts normal, getting IP-Address and so on. But in Case of an Switch-Software-Update-Reboot or by doing the an interface-shut-down on the switch the Intel-Network-Card-LEDs stay green and Operatingsystem does not recognize that theres is no nework avalible. That leads to aplication crash. But at that point, when the Switch initalise the Port, the 82579LM goes down for a second and also initialise new.

The 82579L Adapter on the other hand behaves normal. Means switch port shut down ... LEDs on 82579L off and the same while a switch reboot.

4.) Yes I have checked it ... usualy both adapter running in default configuration, given by the drivers and the operation system. But I was not able to bring the 82579LM behave like the 82579L by changing relevant settings.

5.) Yes the 2 NICs are onboard in the same PC. No I haven't tryed, because this not a solution, because we need both adapter.

Kind regards

Björn

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to check on the provided information. Rest assured that we will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Good day!

Kindly check and provide the requested additional information below and confirm if we understood the issue correctly for us to provide the right solution.

Whenever there is a Switch-Software-Update-Reboot or there is interface-shut-down on the switch, the LED on the network card stays green and the Operating system does not recognize the 82579LM that leads to application crash (please share more details regarding application crash. Is there any error message? If yes, please share the exact error message.) But once the switch initialize the port, the 82579LM goes down for a second (does goes down means that 82579LM is off like 82574L?) and initialize after that(meaning 82579LM works as normal?).

On the other hand, the 82574L behaves as expected. Once there is Switch-Software-Update-Reboot or there is interface-shut-down on the switch, the 82574L LED is off and doesn't cause any issues.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BSchi7
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

thank you very much for working on this. I will try to answer your questions as following:

-The application crash because its not reaching its server, but trying aganin and again. So the CPU goes up and the aplication ist just freezing without a error message. We must then restart the PC to get it back working

-Yes ...goes down means the LED goes off for second and then go back to green.

-No, 82579LM never behaves normal (Switch/Port - off = LED off) only the 82574L works/behave normal.

Kind regards

Björn

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

You are welcome.

We will continue to check this on our end. Rest assured that we will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please try to turn off the "WaitAutoNegComplete" setting in the advanced properties of 82579LM. The 82574L has this option turned off. Please let us know if this was of help to fix the issue.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BSchi7
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

I changed this setting before and tryed it with on/off/auto ...but the behave stays the same.

But I tryed it a moment ago once more again, with no notible change effect.

The LED of the 82579LM stay green, while Port of Cisco-Switch ist in "shut down" state and even when i reboot the switch.

So at the end, the same behave with no change.

Kind regards

Björn

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

We appreciate your reply. Please allow us to check on this further. We will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

We'd like to double check if you already contacted your system manufacturer for assistance since the 82579LM is an integrated component, original equipment manufacturer (OEM) might modify the driver to better fit into your system. You might want to visit this link for Support Options for Intel® Ethernet Controllers.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

You may also look into the event viewer for log registered during the disconnection.

Looking forward to hear an update from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you were able to contact your system manufacturer regarding this issue. We would appreciate if you can give us an update on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BSchi7
Beginner

Hi,

sorry need ab bit time ... will come back with answer in some days.

Kind regards

Björn

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Thank you for the reply.

We understand that you need more time on this matter. Just in case you have additional questions and clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask and we will be glad to be of help.

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you have contacted your manufacturer regarding this matter. Just in case you need more time, just let us know so we can adjust accordingly.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BSchi7
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

I was not able to get an intensiv contact. At the end Beckhoff says its just a normal system.

I think when you not have quick solution like put this setting there and it will work we can stop here.

But thank you very much for you patience and try to help.

Kind regards

Björn

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

Thank you for the reply.

We will try to check for any other solution on our end and hopefully there is something we can get that could help in resolving the issue.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

We appreciate your patience on this matter.

Please check the below additional items to explore regarding this issue:

1.) If there's PoE (Power over Ethernet) configured on the switch port where the 82579LM is connected, disable the PoE feature on the switch port.

2.) Check if there's software utilizing remote management or Active Management technology. You may try to uninstall it if not being used, this is to further isolate the issue.

Looking forward to hear an update from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BSchi7
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

thank you too for the patience on this matter ;-)

1.) Yes the Switch has PoE and its usualy on auto. But I switched PoE off for the Port. But the behavior did not change.

2.) Uninstalled all the 3rd party managemet software and some other tools that in my opinion could be the reason for such behave and also killed most of the processes on the machine. No Change.

I started the PC only to the Bios, so no Windows-OS was loaded. Still no change in behavior.

Kind regards

Björn

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Björn,

You are welcome.

Please allow us to check on this further. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as possible but not later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos