Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Windows 11 support for I-219V: no PROset or wake on lan :(

iAkel89
Novice
I recently upgraded windows 10 to windows 11. I have an intel Ethernet i219v adapter and when I had windows 10 I got wake on lan working by installing the latest PROset driver. But now it’s not letting me install the PROset driver (it says operating system incompatible) on windows 11. I tried changing the compatibility mode but it still won’t let me install.
The current default driver installed seems to be a legacy one as I am missing wake on lan and Enable PME under settings where they used to show before.
Please advise if there is a way to install the latest i-219v driver PROset on windows 11.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
iAkel89
Novice

I actually figured out a manual way to install the windows 10 drivers onto windows 11, as well as the PROset, and it worked.

I'm writing the steps below in case it proves useful to someone else in the future

To install the windows 10 drivers on windows 11:

1) download the windows 10 wired driver from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

2) Extract the zip

3) Using winrar, extract Wired_driver_26.8_x64.exe to a folder

4) open device manager from control panel, go to network adapters and right click your intel network adapter (in my case Ethernet connection I-219 v) and click properties. Go to driver --> update driver --> browse my computer for drivers --> make sure "include subfolders" is checked and select the folder extracted in step 3.

These 4 steps should install the driver successfully, now a bunch of additional settings including Enable PME and wake on magic packet should be available under device properties.

To install the Proset controller:

1) download the windows 10 proset package from the same link above

2) extract the zip

3) using winrar, extract Wired_PROSet_26.8_x64.exe

4) open command prompt as administrator

5) using cmd, enter the path to the PROSETDX.msi file. should look like "...\Wired_PROSet_26.8_x64\APPS\PROSETDX\Winx64\PROSETDX.msi"

This should allow the proset software to be installed.

I have tested it and the proset controller commands work normally via powershell. It is worth noting however that the proset menu does not show up in the properties of the network adapter the way it does in windows 10 (so compatibility is not perfect, but it's good enough for what I need).

Hope this temporary solution proves useful to others; as far as i know it's the only way to get wake on lan working on windows 11 for the wired network adapters that don't have official win 11 compatibility yet.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I just checked the release notes for the latest build (v26.8) of the Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack. Sadly, it does not as yet show support for Windows 11.

What is going on with the Ethernet driver team? Or is this just an ICS posting issue?

...S

iAkel89
Novice

Yeah I tried that pack and couldn't install it

I hope they're working on a compatible update or a workaround....

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello iAkel89,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Sharing with you link below for Support Information for Intel® PROSet and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) on Microsoft Windows* 11. Unfortunately, Intel® PROSet and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) will not be supported on Microsoft Windows* 11 or future Microsoft client operating system updates. You may visit link below for more information. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087483/ethernet-products.html

Additionally, can you share the brand and model of your system as well screenshots from your Advanced Tab Properties of Intel Ethernet i219V adapter or if you see Power Management tab? 

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
iAkel89
Novice

Thank you for your response

That's unfortunate that support for intel PROset is discontinued for windows 11

I would still really appreciate it if you could help me get Wake On Lan to work

I have attached the screenshots you requested

I'm running windows 11 PRO 64 Bit on an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard.

Additionally, could you link me to the latest ethernet driver compatible with windows 11? The current driver installed is the one that installs automatically with windows; I have not been able to find the latest compatible driver that I could download and install manually.

Appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello iAkel89,

Thank you for the swift response.

We tried looking for Windows 11 driver for Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V and unfortunately, only Windows 10 is available. 

We will be glad to further check your query and we hope you don't mind sharing the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
iAkel89
Novice

Please find the report attached.

Appreciate your help with this!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello iAkel89,

Thank you for providing the requested information. 

Please allow us to further check your request. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello iAkel89,

Apologies for the delay on our update. 

Based on the screenshot you provided below, can you uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and check BOTH "Allow this device to wake computer and Only allow Magic Packet to wake the computer" and see if it will work?

If this does not work, can you share on what state would you like to run WOL, is it from S3 or S5?

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
iAkel89
Novice
It didn’t work. If I uncheck “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” then the other two settings (“allow the device to wake computer” and “only allow magic packet to wake computer”) get greyed out. Even if I check those then uncheck the first setting wake on lan still doesn’t work.

I’m trying to wake my computer from the shutdown or S5 state. On windows 10 with the latest Ethernet network adapter I could do it; but the adapter had more properties in the device manager (including enable ERP and wake on magic packet).

Appreciate your help.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello iAkel89,

Thank you for the swift response.

Please allow us to re-escalate this request to our engineers for further checking. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello iAkel89,

Appreciate your patience on this matter. Please see below update from our engineering team regarding this query.

WOL is planned to be one of the advanced settings added with the full driver. When drivers for Windows 11 are released, there will still be additional settings versus the in-box drivers.

Unfortunately, the only option right now is to wait for the release of Windows 11 drivers. You may check our download center from time to time for the Windows 11 driver. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/ethernet/gigabit-controllers/i219-connections/downloads.html

We would also like to sincerely apologize for the delay as we do not have release date yet of the driver and for the inconvenience that this might have caused.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
iAkel89
Novice
As long as intel is working on releasing a driver update for windows 11, I’ll wait for the release.
Thank you
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello iAkel89,

Thank you for the swift response and your kind understanding. 

If no additional assistance is needed on this matter, please be informed that we will now close this thread. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have an amazing week and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
nsimon
Beginner

Hi there.

I'm facing the exact same issue now that almost a year has past.

I may have missed the opportunity of using Wake On Line on my Intel Ethernet i219v (on Geekom mini IT 11) using Windows 11.

In that case could someone please point me to the right direction here ?

Or didn't Intel produce the release promised in January ? And I'll then try the home-made solution offered here.

All the best and thank you for updating this thread.

0 Kudos
iAkel89
Novice

I actually figured out a manual way to install the windows 10 drivers onto windows 11, as well as the PROset, and it worked.

I'm writing the steps below in case it proves useful to someone else in the future

To install the windows 10 drivers on windows 11:

1) download the windows 10 wired driver from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

2) Extract the zip

3) Using winrar, extract Wired_driver_26.8_x64.exe to a folder

4) open device manager from control panel, go to network adapters and right click your intel network adapter (in my case Ethernet connection I-219 v) and click properties. Go to driver --> update driver --> browse my computer for drivers --> make sure "include subfolders" is checked and select the folder extracted in step 3.

These 4 steps should install the driver successfully, now a bunch of additional settings including Enable PME and wake on magic packet should be available under device properties.

To install the Proset controller:

1) download the windows 10 proset package from the same link above

2) extract the zip

3) using winrar, extract Wired_PROSet_26.8_x64.exe

4) open command prompt as administrator

5) using cmd, enter the path to the PROSETDX.msi file. should look like "...\Wired_PROSet_26.8_x64\APPS\PROSETDX\Winx64\PROSETDX.msi"

This should allow the proset software to be installed.

I have tested it and the proset controller commands work normally via powershell. It is worth noting however that the proset menu does not show up in the properties of the network adapter the way it does in windows 10 (so compatibility is not perfect, but it's good enough for what I need).

Hope this temporary solution proves useful to others; as far as i know it's the only way to get wake on lan working on windows 11 for the wired network adapters that don't have official win 11 compatibility yet.