Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

X710-DA4 UEFI Oprom Error after firmware update

WHoll
Beginner

I had an issue where, after booting, linux would sometimes only see 3 interfaces rather than the usual 4.

In an attempt to fix the issue, I have updated the card to the latest firmware using the EFI nvm update tool from the Intel website.

This seemed to work fine, however on boot, the BIOS (of the Intel server motherboard) takes me to the boot log in setup to say there has been a fatal error with the OPROM of the NIC (error code 0147).

If I then continue to boot to Linux, all interfaces are present and appear to be working.

My thoughts are:

Perhaps upgrading the NIC firmeware has not also updated the EFI OPROM of the NIC and so now there is a mismatch? (I can't see any evidence of a separate update on the Intel website).

Some incompatibility of the newly updated NIC firmware (including new EFI OPROM) with the EFI BIOS of the motherboard?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
st4
New Contributor III

Hi willhollins,

Just to double check if this is the version you downloaded?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24769/NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Converged-Network-Adapter-XL710-X710-Series Download NVM Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710 & X710 Series

what is the driver version?

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
WHoll
Beginner

Hi wb,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's the firmware that I downloaded.

I don't think that the linux driver version is relevant because I updated from the efi shell and the error is occurring in the bios.

Many thanks,

Will

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi willhollins,

Have you tried also updating the board BIOS to check?

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos