Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

i350-tv 4 port adapter Vlans

DPB
Beginner

I have a Windows 10 machine, version 20H2. I have installed the i350 card and created vlans off of each the 4 ports using Intel PROset adapter utility. Where is the Vlan configuration information stored, so I can back it up in case of a computer malfunction or crash in the future. I have created 32 tagged vlans off of each of the 4 interfaces, 128 vlans total, so it is a major effort to recreate all of those vlans. Help is appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
51 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We regret to inform you that unfortunately there is no option to backup your configuration on our i350 network card as you will be needing to reconfigure this. 

We also want to inform you in advance that incase that your VLAN's gets deleted during the Windows 10 update, this is not a bug or intel related issue but rather an OS issue.

The Intel Ethernet Team is responsible for validating and submitting new driver packages to Microsoft for inclusion on Windows Update. Microsoft does not support Team and VLAN configuration on Window 10. Team and VLAN configuration for Intel Ethernet Adapters on Windows 10 is supported via our Intel® PROSet software. Intel® PROSet is not included on Microsoft Windows Update."

We hope that this information is useful to you and if you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Thank you for your response,

Additional information; I did install the Intel 64bit PROset adapter and drivers located here: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

The main problem that we are having is when using the PROset adapter application I was able to install 32 Vlans on each interface, with a total of 128 combined vlans. Loading Vlans on the 1st three I350 interfaces appeared to go ok, however on the 4th interface i350 T4, the adapter interface 'hung' after entering the 24th vlan, then finally crashed, deleting all the previous vlans on all interfaces. I had to start over again.

We then attempted to reload all vlans thinking that crash was maybe a fluke or a network interruption. This time I was able to successfully load 32vlans on each of the 4 interfaces successfully (128 vlans total), however creating the last 20 or so vlans, was extremely slow, took almost 5 minutes to create each vlan. 

I was able to see all 128 vlans in the Win10 network and sharing center as well.

However after rebooting the Win10 PC and relaunching the PROset appication, ALL of the 128 Vlans were gone! Vlans on each interface were deleted and also deleted from the Win10 Network and sharing center. 

Please advise as we ARE using the PROset adapter utility downloaded per the link in this message.

This is a critical project and any insight is appreciated. Is there another solution to what we are trying to accomplish with the i350 T4 card?

thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

Thank you for responding and for providing a detailed information on the issue that you have. 

We will try to further check first if we can provide a recommended action for the issue that you are experiencing. Please provide us some time to check for your concern, we will try to provide an update within 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

We would also like for you to provide us your SSU (System Support Utility) so we can have a better look on your system.

Kindly refer to the steps below if you are not familiar on how to get the SSU.

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Please attach the SSU on this thread.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid:

Attached please find the SSU scan. I just added 1 Vlan to each of the 4 interfaces for the purpose of the scan.

Also, how many VLANS can I create on each adapter interface, ie T4, T4-2, T4-3 and T4-4 and is there a total limit for 4 interfaces? My understanding is that 64 vlans can be added to each interface? we are only attempting to add a total of 32 vlans to each interface.

Thank you for your assistance,

DPB

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

Thank you for responding and for providing the SSU log file that we have asked. 

Yes, you are also correct, Intel® software supports a maximum of 64 VLANs per network port or team.

We will be needing to further review your case first as well as to check the SSU file that you have submitted before we can provide our recommendations for the issue that you are experiencing. Please provide us some time to check your concern, we will try to provide an update within 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you are encountering. Regarding the issue, we would like to ask if you are only encountering this on Windows 20H2 or also on previous version as 1909 or 2004?

As per checking on your SSU log file, you are already using the latest driver version 12.18.12.1. Please do advise us if you are needing to want to perform a clean driver and proset installation of 26.6. We understand that reinstalling the driver and proset will also remove the configured VLAN so this is optional only.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Kindly also check the link below so that you would also be aware of the "Implementation considerations" of Intel's Advanced Network Services VLANs.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005677/ethernet-products.html

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Thank you this additional information. Unfortunately we are not able to test against releases verison 1909 or 2004, we are working with a current corporate image and don't have the capability to test previous versions.

Also, thank you, we did review the "Additional Considerations" as well. 

We were able to program 64 vlans on one interface using power shell, rebooting after programming the interfaces was successful as the interfaces remained.

When we added 32 additional vlans to the second interface, then rebooted, we noticed  that they disappeared 1 at a time. 

We will continue to do more testing, any further insight is appreciated.

thank you!

DPB (Dominick)

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

We would like to clarify what you meant by "When we added 32 additional vlans to the second interface, then rebooted, we noticed that they disappeared 1 at a time." 

Please advise us if you are referring to second port? and what do you mean by disappeared one at a time? Does the VLAN disappear one by one at a given time period or after you have rebooted? 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Below is a summary of our testing to date:

1. 4 port Intel card, no ports plugged in for this test
    1. started with no Vlans on any port
    2. added Vlans (501..564) using PowerShell
    3. 64 new windows network connections show up
    4. Rebooted PC all Vlans and connections still in place
    5. Shutdown PC and unplugged AC power over night
    6. Boot PC in morning all Vlans and connections still in place
  2. After verifying previous 64 Vlans worked OK
    1. Added Vlan 565 to port 2 on the i350 Intel card
    2. Rebooted PC all Vlans and connections still in place
    3. Added Vlans (566..596) to port 2
    4. Rebooted PC
    5. Immediate check of windows network connections shows the connections being removed one at a time. One at a time means that we can visually see them disappear in the "network and internet settings" window,  one by one, ie: One disappears, then immediately after, the next one disappears, and so on. See #6.
    6. Looks the same as if I had issued a remove Vlans command using PowerShell
    7. All 96 Vlans and associated windows network connections are now gone.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated, thank you very much for your assistance so far!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation on your case. We will be needing to have this further check before we can provide you a proper recommendation. 

Please provide us some time to check, would it be okay if we can make a follow up between 2-3 business days for your concern? Once we have all the information that we need we will notify you immediately. 

Thank you and have a good day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

Yes, 2-3 days will be fine. We greatly appreciate you helping us to try to determine what is causing our issue.  Let us know if you need further information from us as well.

Thank you again,

DPB

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

Firstly we do apologize for the delay in responding for your inquiry as we were further checking in order to provide an accurate information.

As per advised by our engineers, please try the following steps:

1. Since you are already using the latest driver which is 12.18.12.1, please try to to install the version 26.6 first and make sure to completely remove the old driver and PROSet versions. Then download the driver file and the PROSet file.

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 version 26.6 (includes driver and proset)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

2. If the first recommendation did not work, please install the previous version 12.18.11.1 from driver package 26.0 following the same procedure (Clean driver installation). We previously had customers who were using this driver version without any issues so it is also best to give it a try.

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 version 26.0 (includes driver and proset)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18293/30301/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html

Also we would like to clarify as well, did you try adding only 32 VLANs per team/port and is the VMQ also disabled? If you have questions or clarifications, please let us know so we can further help you. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello,

In answer to your question, yes, we did try 32 Vlans on the first 2 interfaces, however, when we tried to add more on the 3rd interface, eventually all the VLANS disappeared as we previously described. Can you please tell me what is 'VMQ'? I can not be sure if that was disabled or not.

We already tried reinstalling version 26.6 and removing the old driver with same results.

We will now try your suggestion of installing the previous version 12.18.11.1 from the driver package and follow the clean driver installation procedure and you described in step 2. Hopefully we will have more information in the next day or 2.

Regards,

DPB

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello DPB,

Thank you for the update. We are sorry to hear that the first procedure that we recommended did not help you fix the issue. We hope that the 2nd one will help resolve this.

As for your question, VMQ means Virtual Machine Queue. We will need to further check with our engineer on how you can confirm its status. We will make sure to provide you with an update no later than 3 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello,

We tried the second procedure completely, and installed the previous version of the driver 12.18.11.1, following clean driver installation, etc.

However, the only scenario that works for us without loosing any vlans after machine reboot, is creating 64 vlans on a single port only.

We tried 32 vlans on each of the 4 ports and they all go away after rebooting the Win10 PC.

So, it appears the only reliable option for us to 64 vlans on 1 port only, however that defeats the purpose of the 4 port card.

Any more insight?

thank you for all your help to date.

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

Please try to disable the VMQ first and reboot the system then after that try to create the vlan while its disabled and see if this could work. 

Please refer to the link below as this would explain more regarding VMQ, VMDQ and teaming, disabling VMQ in the OS is also included in the link.

https://www.intel.ie/content/www/ie/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000006517.html

If this still wouldn't work, please advise us so we can further check with our Engineers. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your continued help in trying to utilize this i350 adapter card.

We have tried to disable the VMQ first, but unfortunately, it is not listed in the adapter settings that we can see. We have followed your link and instructions. We do not see it listed in the adapter properties in our Win10 environment, and per our previous threads, we are only able to populate 64 vlans on one interface successfully and have not been able to utilize the full features of this 4 port adapter.

At this point we are halting our testing and determining what our next steps will be.

Thank you again for your continued correspondence and support,

Regards,

DPB

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello DPB,

Thank you for advising us your current situation and we do apologize if our previous recommendation was still not able to help you with your concern. 

Please allow us some time to further check what other options we can provide you on your concern.  

Would it be okay if we can provide an update within 2-3 business days? Once we have all the information that we need, we will notify you immediately instead. Thank you and have a great day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
DPB
Beginner

Yes, thank you, we would appreciate that. 

0 Kudos