Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5003 Discussions

intel nic drivers 19.3 huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once a few secs

ATay3
Novice

hi, i would like to report that the new intel nic drivers version 19.3 that just released recently has huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once in a few secs.

my specs

Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

windows 7 SP1 32bit + lastest windows update

i downgrade to intel nic drivers previous version 19.1 and the problem is just gone.

285 Replies
CX
Beginner

I think i might have solved it for me on Asus Maximus VIII Hero (I219V) - i've manually installed I218V (20.2 version) driver and for the last couple of days i didn't have any issues apart from "normal" huge stuttering when downloading something at full speed in utorrent. I can watch youtube videos and browse just fine without latency issues.

I'll post again if the issue appears. The latest driver (Version: 20.7.1) definitely didn't work for me though.

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

I see. To bad your issue is so intense. For me its only when network traffic is really high, then I get a short crackling sound stutter or what to call it, and that's it. Also seem to be only upload traffic. (Deluge)

I tried the I218V driver that come with Win10 to no avail. . .

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

It's the same for me. Short crackling sound or a bit of video stutter if there's high traffic. Except its worse when i switch on uttorent for some reason. Right now i don't have any issues with 218V driver installed on 219V device. At least i think i don't have any issues since they might appear later. I do get stutter anyway if i switch on utorrent but it could also be hard drive related or something. Utorrent hasn't really been updated in a while and its pretty unstable as it is right now.

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

Its not utorrent in its self. Its the network traffic. And Intel's crappy driver. Or to put it in another way Microsoft crappy OS.

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

Well it could be both. Utorrent making a lot of connections and hard drive enquires and intel's ethernet adapter not handling them properly. In any case - at the very least i can watch youtube videos and browse without any latency spikes at the moment.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Cel so what driver you've installed?

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

I am guessing its either 20.1 or 20.2 drivers for the I218V device.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

incredible, those were the problematic versions

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

Apparently i was wrong - nothing has changed. Yesterday i had the pc switched on for some time and downloaded a lot of files and unfortunately stuttering has appeared again. I've also installed some Windows 10 updates just prior to that and noticed that my I218V driver stopped working after that so i had to reinstall it. Im not sure whether Windows updates did something or whether it's just a coincidence but the latency issues are still there.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

The latest Windows 10 build was released in this patch tuesday, any lucks?

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

Hmm I did not even notice as Microsoft names this update a "security update" when it gets downloaded in Windows Update.

My issue happens so rarely now after my latest tweaks so it make take a wile before I report back.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10 May 10, 2016 — KB3156421 (OS Build 10586.318)

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Improved reliability in a number of areas including Cortana, Bluetooth, Shell, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Miracast, and USB.
  • Fixed memory leak that occurs when opening a portable document format (PDF) form multiple times.
  • Fixed issues with text alignment for right to left languages in Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge.
  • Fixed issue that affected Bluetooth function when a PC resumes from sleep.
  • Fixed issue where user accounts weren't locked out after a number of failed sign in attempts.
  • Fixed issue with revised daylight saving time.
  • Fixed issue that sometimes corrupts CompactFlash cards inserted into a card reader.
  • Fixed issue that caused recorded video to be lost when answering an incoming call on some phones.
  • Fixed issue that could result in unexpected battery drain while the phone screen is off.
  • Fixed additional security issues with kernel mode drivers, remote procedure calls, the Microsoft Graphics Component, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Windows Shell, Windows Journal, Virtual Secure Mode, Schannel, and Jscript.
0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

So.... any lucks in latency checker?

And have you set all buffer sizes inside the ethernet driver config to the max value?

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

Not fixed. Problem persists.

0 Kudos
JMoor17
Beginner

I have been experiencing high latency from the I211 driver that came with my ASUS 970 Pro Gaming Aura mobo i purchased a few days ago. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. I kept installing back versions of the driver package as a guy on youtube suggested, and all developed severe latency issues after running for about two hours.

When i got to version 19.0, i noticed a dramatic drop in the spikes Earlier, I searched this site and found a thread by an Intel tech representative that suggested some setting changes in the Advanced settings as a latency fix. Combining BOTH has reduced the reds to 2us that pop up every once in awhile yellows, not over 1.8us using DPC Latency Checker, which is okay for playing media, according to the checker. So far, it has held after a few hours, so i am offering this as a potential solution that is not perfect but I found i can live with.

What i noticed is this has a different user interface for changing the settings that is much simpler and without the built in user guide info of ALL the later versions. Maybe this somehow has an additive, negative effect on screwing up the drivers internal timings and/or interrupts, etc.

To try this fix:

download version 19.0 .exe file either 32 or 64 bit

uninstall the current driver for your wired ethernet in Device Manager and check delete the driver files.

uninstall the current driver software Intel package in Program and Features

run the prowin ,exe file as administrator

Go to this page

scroll to the reply by the Sandy_Intel

make the setting changes via selecting Properties for your driver in Device Manager

BTW, I used the max buffer sizes and turned OFF the Interrupt Modulation Rate.

An interesting side effect is that i am running an ASUS ESSENCE STX II audio card with a set of Corsair SP2500's and once the latency dropped, the sound of the system as far as clarity, focus, soundstage width and depth increased dramatically as if a veil was lifted from the system. It seems that even though i did not hear the pops, dropouts and crackles even when the driver version that came with the board was at its worst, running with my eight core AMD 8350 with 32gb Corsair Vengeance 1600, that the bad driver hogs the system and has a negative ripple effect on the performance quality of other system drivers, esp display.

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

Unfortunately i am unable to install any driver's below 20.1 since i've got 219V device and windows 10 and 19.X drivers do not recognize my device because they are too old.

As for the fixes - they do not seem to do anything.

I've also recently installed separate ethernet card and switched off intel's device. Im not 100% sure yet but it seems that the issue is still persists. So at least on my pc it might not be related to intel's ethernet adapter after all. Im still testing it though.

I've also changed my booting sector from legacy to UEFI after a suggestion on one of the forums but it didn't seem to work. I was recommended to do a fresh windows install though so i might try it later again.

0 Kudos
JMoor17
Beginner

Addendum to my post to reduce NIC latency

The setting to turn to off is Interrupt MODERATION rate, not Modulation

Version 19.0 has a separate setting not mentioned as a fix by Intel_Sandy and that is Interrupt Moderation. Setting that to Disable, further dropped the yellow spikes.

0 Kudos
JMoor17
Beginner

Did you also go into the BIOS and disable the on-board nic? Also any driver software must be uninstalled both when you uninstall the current on-board driver in Device Manager and in Programs and Features. Then install your card. If the latency is still there and your stand alone card is also based on Intel, you may be experiencing latency from those drivers.

To see exactly what drivers are causing this, install a free program called LatencyMon v6.50 and select the Drivers panel after starting. If the nic card is causing it, you will see that.

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

Yes i've uninstalled the drivers and disabled it in BIOS. Im using tp-link ethernet card which uses windows provided drivers from 2015 since the newest available official drivers are from 2014.

I've changed some settings in device manager today as well and gonna check if they work in the next few days.

I've also been using latencymon past years and i've posted the results here numerous times. Usually it's ndis.sys driver that causes spikes.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

I just read the new Intel Ethernet driver version 21 had just been released, and the release date of the inf file inside for i217, i218, i219 in Windows 8 and 10 is the newer 10th May 2016. Any lucks guys?

0 Kudos
APetr17
Beginner

The problem solved. Just installed PCI-e card (TP-LINK TG-3468 for 10$) on Realtek RTL8168E. No latency spikes (as I wrote before, I did not notice problems anyway), and up to 117 mbytes/s at file copy via SMB. With Jumbo Frames this card loads one core of i5-3470 (3.4 GHz) by 40-50%.

Speeds and CPU load like the same with Intel NIC.

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

I am looking at usb 3 ethernet adapter myself. Seems to be an easier option than installing pcie card. Also loading up one cpu core by 50% seems kinda a lot. Though i do have 6700K processor so that shouldn't be a problem i guess.

0 Kudos