Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5003 Discussions

intel nic drivers 19.3 huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once a few secs

ATay3
Novice

hi, i would like to report that the new intel nic drivers version 19.3 that just released recently has huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once in a few secs.

my specs

Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

windows 7 SP1 32bit + lastest windows update

i downgrade to intel nic drivers previous version 19.1 and the problem is just gone.

285 Replies
APetr17
Beginner

USB NIC? I think the situation will be even worse.

Load up to 50% on one core of i5 Ivy Bridge for that speeds is normal. Same was with both Intel NICs: PCI-e x1 Intel EXPI9301CT (82574L) and 82579V (built-in ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, but with another CPU of course).

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

Not fixed. Problem persists in latest driver 21

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

One thing I wonder....... Guys, are your red bars inside your Latency Checker regular with the very similar intervals?

0 Kudos
YBond1
Novice

Don't use latency checker in windows 8.1 and above. Only latency monitor . It has the issue with red bars because of the power timings that added in windows 8.1 and above.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

aahhh..... that should be mean the version 1.3 or the checker, but had been fixed somehow in version 1.4 now, although nothing updated on their official page.

But I agree, that DPC doesn't mean everything about sounds inside PC, HAL layer may even affect much more, especially updating OS kernel and drivers always makes sounds better and less buffer interval latency, in over 90% cases.

The only things which DPC latency really has something to do with sounds, in my experiences after every time the sound changed and I compared the sound, DPC checker and LatencyMon results time after time is:

Red bars inside the checker sometimes still mean the glitches/dropouts (pop/click), but not always.

When the red bars appear in a fixed or stable interval, e.g. once every 3 bars, it really means dropouts, usually, you can really hear them from your monitor speakers and monitor headphones, if their damping factors are high enough, low enough THD and your analog equipments have low enough internal/output impedance (ohm). In this case, your LatencyMon should show one or few drivers with over 1ms highest execution time. Those are the sources of glitches, like the NDIS.sys we faced before and not sure if here are still anyone facing right now.

But when red bars appear only in a completely dynamically random interval, no any regular patterns. Like suddenly a wild red bar appears in the time you never know why, then this one should has really nothing to do with the dropouts. In this case, your LatencyMon should show really no drivers with over 1ms highest execution time. No glitches at all.

So that's why I asked about how the red bars appear. DPC never mean everything about your sounds, nothing crucial, but could be referable somehow, just never take it too serious.

And the DPC latency bars in Windows 8/8.1/10 sometimes even mean the OS software timer calibration size, which could be from every 0.5ms to 15ms, could be detected by https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897568.aspx ClockRes .

I use Audio Fidelizer (a little audio tweaking tool). Before I run it, windows default timer calibration size makes the DPC bars all yellow, around 1ms each bar. After applied Fidelizer, windows timer calibration size become the possibly lowest 0.5ms, all DPC bars become green with around 500μs each bar, and absolutely no any red bars. Interesting and funny! Now DPC bars become very stable and steady.

The link of Audio Fidelizer (I always just use customize policy and only keep option 1, 2 and 4 checked):

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/ Fidelizer - The best way to improve sound quality in Windows

Actually, LatencyMon doesn't absolutely mean the sound quality of PC. I'd tried many things which change sounds without replacing any hardwares or analog equipments, e.g. updating drivers, updating windowsupdate, and even updating anti-virus software (yup, I never terminate any drivers or services, and keep my anti-virus software run inside), and also boost the priorities of my audio threads, audio processes, MMCSS and IRQ your sound device. Every time I do those things, sounds changed, getting better and better, but nothing changed inside LatencyMon and DPC checker. Now the recent few times of updating things hadn't changed sounds anymore, the interval latency should become 0 and only absolutely latency left. The benchmark monitor from the DSP firmware of my Echo Audiofire showed me that both the playback buffer time and recording buffer time become smaller and smaller, now even a tiny little bit smaller than my configured target buffer time. The reactions of the whole system have become much faster now. The new chipset driver version 10.1.1.18 even makes the whole OS boot much faster.

Those are only the experiences of myself. If you have ever tried or faced anything really different from what I said here, please tell me.

0 Kudos
AAlek15
Beginner

Has 21.0 v driver fixed latency issues on W10 for 82579V LAN?

I reverted back to W7 just for that issue, among other W10 issues. But this one was giving me headaches.

0 Kudos
YBond1
Novice

Does this fix the issue ?

http://station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=2286&lang=fr http://station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=2286&lang=fr

Because Intel finally fixed the APM HDD's parking issue with latest IRST 15.0.0.131 drivers + DisableLPM.reg which adds

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorA\Parameters\Device]

"EnableAPM"=dword:00000000

and it fixed my parking issue in raid though I needed to change to AHCI wait till windows try to load, and then change back to RAID, no more parking, so for other people too on AHCI only.

0 Kudos
CKaji
Beginner

So I've been following this thread for a long time and have they fixed the DPC latency for Windows 10 and the Intel® 82579V ethernet adapter? I downgraded to Windows 7 again last year because I was having so many issues with the Intel drivers.

If it's not fixed, is it possible to install driver version 19.1 on Windows 10 x64? I've read many posts stating it won't work with newer adapters but I was curious if it worked for the older Intel® 82579V.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Guys, Microsoft is going to release the first Anniversary Update (1607) for Windows 10 on 2nd Aug 2016. Would it be any lucks on this problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history# Windows_10_Anniversary_Update_.28Version_1607.29 Windows 10 version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Finally installed Windows 10 Pro (clean installation), and not found any problem with my 82579V. No dropouts, no spikes, no glitches, no red bars, but only all are very beautiful green bars with nearly same values, steady stable.

I've found a interesting phenomenon. When there is silence and not using my Echo Audiofire, green bars are only around 500μs. But when I'm playing or recording something from my sound device, all green bars are around 700μs.

Anyway, note that DO NOT INSTALL ANY ANS and VLAN components from Intel ethernet drivers in Windows 10. The driver setup program has warned you, that component conflicts with Windows 10. Remember to uncheck that option from the installation progress. Maybe that's the problem of spikes you guys meet now.

And I've boosted all MMCSS configs as well, like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]

"NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:00000001

"SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Audio]

"Scheduling Category"="High"

"SFIO Priority"="High"

"Latency Sensitive"="True"

"Priority"=dword:00000008

"GPU Priority"=dword:0000001f

"BackgroundPriority"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Pro Audio]

"Scheduling Category"="High"

"SFIO Priority"="High"

"Latency Sensitive"="True"

"Priority"=dword:00000008

"GPU Priority"=dword:0000001f

"BackgroundPriority"=dword:00000008

As well as boosted these IRQ priorities:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]

"IRQ8Priority"=dword:00000001

"IRQ[ the IRQ number of your sound device or USB/1384/thunderbolt/AV-bridge card ]Priority"=dword:00000001

"IRQ0Priority"=dword:00000001

Remember to update your chipset driver as well, the new v10.1.1.32 is very fast.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Guys, Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607 (10.0.14393) had been released finally, any lucks for this issue?

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

I've made a fresh and clean installation of windows 10 pro with anniversary update and the issue has returned.

Im not entirely sure what i did previously but before the new installation i've managed to fix (i think) the issue. I recall changing settings in device manager and doing other fixes until one day i didn't get any more stutter. Even when i used built in intel ethernet adapter.

Now the issue has returned and it's even worse than before. Ndis.sys driver is just out of whack. After a couple of hours every single page refresh or running uttorent makes sound crackle and huge latency spikes appear.

Ill try to fiddle with ethernet adapter settings again but it just feels hopeless.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

My case using driver v21 with 82579 inside Windows 10 1607 redstone x64 without any problems, sound more steadier than windows 8.1 especially much more clearer bass. So I guess Windows 10 had redesigned a much more stabler multimedia clock.

I'd just had a look on MMCSS of Windows 10 and found that, now no more MMCSS service inside the services list, but found an mmcss.sys driver inside the driver folder, so I guess the MS had moved the MMCSS from a common service and become a subsystem driver module loaded by the caller software, and stay inside the software process.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/07/29/windows-10-promises-better-audio-midi-performance-easier-app-development/ http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/07/29/windows-10-promises-better-audio-midi-performance-easier-app-development/

And so if you still have that problem of dropouts, have you ever tried to report that to the Feedback Hub inside Windows 10 to MS, other than reporting to Intel?

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

It seems that i've fixed the issue again by using settings recommended here

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

Or maybe i didn't fix it. The issue seems to come and go on different boots. Might as well give up.

0 Kudos
YBond1
Novice

Can anyone try that maybe it will fix your issue with bad drivers ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmiUhlEAxc Memory Leak Fix In Windows 10 - YouTube

-Open regedit as administrator (or give admin access) with RUN or by pressing WindowsKey+R and typing in regedit.

Navigate to Computer/HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu

Right click "Start" from the list on the right and choose "Modify".

Change the Value Data to 4 and make sure the Base is set at Hexadecimal.

Press "Okay" and restart your computer.

And don't install the special intel GUI in the device manager. just normal drivers

People with Killer network cards has issue with that so my guess will be intel too.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/37898-memory-problem-2.html Windows 10 Forums

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

I don't have issues with memory leaks. I've got 32GB ram anyway.

I did manage to "fix" this issue two days ago by switching to a separate realtek ethernet card again. No more latency or stuttering. I recommend disabling, removing the drivers and deleting the intel's device as well because it might still interfere even if you don't use it.

But i will try this fix anyway as well, thanks.

I've tried that fix but it didn't help. I did however pinpoint the issue which caused high latency after updating to 1607 - WAN miniport devices which appeared in device manager caused it. I had to use the solution recommended here:

http://lazyresearch.blogspot.ru/2016/07/remove-wan-miniports-easy-way.html Lazy Research: Remove WAN Miniports Easy Way... [Updated 20th Aug]

To remove them and disable two services which for some reason made them appear over and over again on the next boot even if you removed devices manually. Whenever they appeared they would cause high latency right from the start.

Basically i've disabled about 5 different services related to Lan/Internet and switched to realtek ethernet card. I don't get high latency any more even when i use utorrent.

So either this is an issue related to intel's ethernet controller or windows 10, or some of their interactions like Asus support agent suggested a year ago.

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

What's the latest?

Intel has not released any new NIC driver that I can see? This may indicate that they are confident that the issue is not with them.

Have not experienced any problems as of late, it is of course until now. It is very irritating when playing games, especially at high volume. I almost shit myself when cuts occur

Someone wrote, issue occur even with high-end sound card? If so, the problem is probably with Windows, or have someone read about others who are using other operating systems with the same problem?

For me, the audio cuts occurred only when the NIC was loaded to the max. Now, it happens when it feels like.

update:

I see now that my settings had been reset. Mainly the Performance Options / Interrupt Moderation Rate had been reset to Auto. Minimal works best for me. I also just updated bios so we'll see if things gets any better.

0 Kudos
MBlac2
Novice

This didn't help this time =(

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Guys, Intel Ethernet Driver has just been upgraded to 21.1, and all driver *.inf files inside have been updated their released date to around July to Sept, e.g. I217, I218, I219 to 08/04/2016 (v.12.15.23.7) and 82579 to 07/25/2016 (v.12.15.31.4), any lucks for anyone?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm still having major issues with this NIC even with the latest release of the ethernet driver. I am close to bypassing the onboard nic and buying an extended one. This thread has been going for two years this is ridiculous.

0 Kudos