Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5004 Discussions

intel nic drivers 19.3 huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once a few secs

ATay3
Novice

hi, i would like to report that the new intel nic drivers version 19.3 that just released recently has huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once in a few secs.

my specs

Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

windows 7 SP1 32bit + lastest windows update

i downgrade to intel nic drivers previous version 19.1 and the problem is just gone.

285 Replies
PPend
Novice

Thanks, will install and report back. :-)

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

That "known issue" is still existed and version of .inf file of Pro1000 (82579) for Windows 8.1 is still the same (2014 version).

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

I see no mention of Window 10 Support on the 20.4.1 Station Drivers download.

Once again I remind you that the reason this is an issue for Windows 10 users is that there is a working driver for other Windows (it is not the latest version it is Version 19.1 but this version works perfectly). However, this version does not work with Windows 10. It will install but is ignored.

I have documented this earlier in this thread, :-)

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

Windows 10 64 Bit - Installed and unfortunately no change - Rolling Back. :-(

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

You should have tried Latencymon instead. I don't think DPC Latency Checker shows the correct values. That was the case in Windows 8/8.1 anyway. They say on their own website that the DPC Latency Checker tool is for Windows 7, Windows 7 x64, Windows Vista, Windows Vista x64, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 x64, Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Windows 2000. So I think Latencymon would have been a better choice. I think when I tried Windows 10 it looked something similar, but that Latencymon said things were fine.

I understand if you don't want to try again. Messing around with drivers takes time...

Anyway, this driver solved the problems for me in Windows 7, so I'm sure a fix is on the way.

@Parco: Sorry, I'm not sure if I follow...

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from but I can confirm 100% my findings above this driver doesn't solve the issue. But just to be clear let me add some further info.

First of all DPC Checker works perfectly on Windows 10. And is still the quickest and easiest way to check for spikes - although it does not give much detailed information. It shows the spikes when using that driver and shows plain yellow / green when not, simple as. Great for screen shots.

Latency Mon gives much more info and of course I use that too, it also showed the usual problem with the ndis driver within seconds of running it.

I have built my own machines for as long as I can remember.

I also use an actual DAW (Don't forget I run a recording studio and I also work in QA testing for the last 20 years) - So I test with professional programs (Cubase , Wavelab, Nuendo etc.) So this is also part of my benchmarking

I also use my eyes and ears which work very well. :-)

It doesn't take time at all. It takes 4 minutes to install the new drivers and another 2 minutes to roll back.

Anyway, as stated in the first line, I can confirm 100% that this driver does not solve the issue on Windows 10 64 bit.

BTW. Parco is referring to the fact that the driver release still lists it as a known issue.

Also attached DPC pic showing result after rolling back. Screen shot laid over this post to show authenticity.

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

Alright, fair enough. I read on their website (http://www.thesycon.de/ Thesycon - USB Software Development) that it doesn't measure correctly in Windows 8/8.1. I just used their own compatibility list, for which operating systems DPC Latency Checker works on. Windows 10 isn't listed - this is where I started questioning stuff. Maybe I jumped to conclusions way to early about whether it measures correctly in Windows 10 or not, I haven't found any information about that - but I do know that LatencyMon works so that's why I pointed that out.

But I believe you! I'm not judging or anything... I tried to point out that I wasn't sure about the compatibility/correct measures with DPC Latency Checker in WIndows 10, since it doesn't work for Windows 8 or 8.1. I use a DAW also, but probably "newbie stuff" compared to what you're using. I know that high DPC latency is terrible when working with audio.

About the release notes for this driver set... It says "Intel(R) Network Connections Software Version 20.4 Release Notes" - but it should be 20.4.1 (?), so I'm not sure if there is a miss somewhere. But the driver clearly works for me. Further down in the release notes it says:

Audio or video distortion when LAN cable is connected or disconnected

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Momentary audio distortion or video playback issues may occur when you

connect or disconnect a LAN cable to the onboard Ethernet port.

Intel(R) 82577 and 82578 based network connections are affected by this

issue.

I have a Intel 82579v NIC, and now it works great. My NIC isn't listed in the release notes, and it works. 19.1 was the last version before the 20.4.1 driver that worked for me.

Sorry that the driver didn't work for you!

Peace!

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

Hi and thanks for your reply,

And thanks for your understanding.

I also have 82579v by the way. On my main studio machine. I am glad you got it working.

I find that the DPC does work well enough to see an obvious difference between a spiking system or not (even on Windows 8) but as mentioned, even using the more detailed LatencyMon, straight away showed that ndis.sys (I think I have the name right) was causing huge spikes. And of course using the actual DAW applications is the best test of all.

The older working driver for Windows 8 (as mentioned above) 19.1 worked great in all areas here. And I see you have got it sorted in 7 or 8 (not sure which) But sadly that older driver set doesn't work with Win 10.

Thanks again.

:-)

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

Xiexiema wrote:

And of course using the actual DAW applications is the best test of all.

This!

DPC Latency Checker really made me OCD for a while, haha! Keeping the numbers as low as possible with many tweaks and trying to optimize stuff into infinity, when I instead should have tried to be satisfied that stuff just works as they should. To be honest, DPC latency isn't something I've known much about until maybe 5 years ago. I was blissfully unaware and thought that good hardware was enough, until I discovered DPC latency and what it is - which, back then was causing audible glitches, and in due time solved.

I have a feeling that Intel will do some final refinements to the drivers and everything will be OK again and this DPC thing will be over.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Besides, and what I meant in the second meaning was: the releasing date of the main driver .inf file is still 2nd May 2014, same as the dates of .inf file of 19.3 - 20.3. That's meaning seems like only the PROset service program was modified, but nothing more to be modified in HAL layer, maybe the .sys files are still the same. So can't expect it would imrpove too much.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

OK, forget it, that was my fault.

The release date of the .inf file of driver 20.4.1 is 18th Aug 2015 for 82579, whatever in Win7/8/8.1/10 and not 2nd May 2014 anymore.

And finally great, over 1 year lasting horrible dropout catastrophe solved!

No more 5ms-6ms NDIS.sys taking up.

Now all drivers are just taking up only max. around 0.1ms - 0.2ms, and NDIS.sys is now usually stably in 0.1ms, very stable.

Dropouts in this 1 year and 2 months all gone, steady clear and stable sounds, so I can revive my recording works now.

I found this driver in the list of 1218-V but apply to 82579 too!

But I wonder how Intel finally solve this problem, any personnel of Intel say something here?

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

But wait......... sometimes it restarts the Ethernet connection and 1Gbps become 10Mbps............ what the......................???!!!

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

Hi there Parco, What OS are you using please?

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with all latest updates.

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

Ahhh thanks. Windows 10 here and no joy with these drivers. Seems that the 7 and 8 folks are all happy now though. :-)

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

It's still not a joy when your 1Gbps be auto switched into 10Mbps......huuh.......

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

WINDOWS 10 64 BIT

OK after reading above I decided to try again. Downloaded again and installed. I did change my install process though - I deselected Advanced Network and Powershell (see screenshot).

And... Success!

As you can see from the other screenshot - Even DPC shows all yellow (which is not accurate - it adds 1ms on Win 10 - but shows NO SPIKES :-) ) And LatencyMon has no mention of ndis.sys anymore.

And the acid test being my actual DAW showing no spikes! (screenshot).

I haven't rebooted yet. Fingers crossed this will remain.

Question is... When I tried the drivers yesterday on 17th I had immediate spikes.

So: Is it because I did not install Advanced Networking and / or Powershell? Or have the drivers themselves been updated overnight? (This time I searched manually at the site rather than just using the link above).

I am of course reluctant to test further at the moment now...

PLee27
Novice

Well, I've install both Advanced Networking and Powershell, I don't modify, I always install its default combination. And I've no more problem of 5~6ms spikes.

But now become the problem of bandwidth.

And yes, you should search for other ethernet controllers as well, because most of all Intel controllers use the same driver installer....

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

So......... no one is going to solve the problem of forced bandwidth downgrading....? ......huuh.........

0 Kudos
YBond1
Novice

replace the card is 2nd choice . intel cards has terrible issues not just network cards but sata controller. its not example but I have solarflare card . which has sfp+ connection so I am connected with 10 gbit . usually the downgrade happens becuase the CAT cable. replace your network cable and see if it happens. cat6e recommended

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

is it really fixed for you?

I have installed the latest driver package as you did but for my i218-v Gigabit NIC the driver has a different date: 13.08.2015

0 Kudos