FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

2D FIR filter test bench address out of bound

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Working with the 2D fir filter test-bench (from video and image processing suite). Configured the lpm resolution to be 640.  

Issue is that data_out goes high impedance at regular intervals and the dout_valid does not transition low. 

• valid data output for 638 clock cycles 

• then output is undefined for 386 clock cycles 

• these two intervals sum to 1024 (maybe there's a 10 bit address counter even though I've asked for 640 sized image?) 

• after 16 "lines": din_ready transitions low, then din_valid goes low, and finally dout_valid drops low 

Modelsim complains about out of bounds addressing errors:  

"Address pointed at port A is out of bound!"  

"Address pointed at port B is out of bound!" 

I don't understand why the output data is undefined while the dout_valid signal is still logic 1. A modelsim screen-shot is attached.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

without the code - we cannot tell. Post the code so we can have a look.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

your question should not be why data... but your address is wrong when pointed at i.e. your counter points to address value > memory size.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Working with the 2D fir filter test-bench (from video and image processing suite). Configured the lpm resolution to be 640.  

Issue is that data_out goes high impedance at regular intervals and the dout_valid does not transition low. 

• valid data output for 638 clock cycles 

• then output is undefined for 386 clock cycles 

• these two intervals sum to 1024 (maybe there's a 10 bit address counter even though I've asked for 640 sized image?) 

• after 16 "lines": din_ready transitions low, then din_valid goes low, and finally dout_valid drops low 

Modelsim complains about out of bounds addressing errors:  

"Address pointed at port A is out of bound!"  

"Address pointed at port B is out of bound!" 

I don't understand why the output data is undefined while the dout_valid signal is still logic 1. A modelsim screen-shot is attached.  

---- 

Note that I do not control the addressing -- rather the Altera generated lpm block controls the addressing. I am simply controlling with the Avalon packet transfer interface. So my question is why is the auto-generated MegaWizard making a mistake with the addressing? 

I've attached the auto-generated verilog files. The auto-generated *.vo file is nearly impossible to read.