FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6354 Discussions

ALTFP_MULT is not behaving as per the inputs given

TBaki
Beginner

I am using ALTFP_MULT in the design. This iP is generated using Quartus II 10 special package 1. software. I tried to multiply 3 * 3 using this IP. I mean to say input dataa = 3 and datab= 3. But, I am getting result 0 and zero output flag is always enabled. I am not using clk_en or aclr. Please let me know why the output of this IP is always 0

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to the ALTFP_MULT IP where the output seems to stuck at 0. 

To facilitate further debugging, just would like to check with you on the following:

1. Would you mind to share with me the IP .v file so that I can have further understanding of your confuguration?

2. Just would like to check with you if you are observing this issue in Modelsim or hardware? It would be great if you can perform Modelsim simulation to isolate any functional issue prior to hardware testing.

3. For your information, the data input would need to be in floating point format ie the MSB is the sign, the next MSBs are the exponent, and the LSBs are the mantissa. Just to double check with you on the data format.

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

Best regards,

Chee Pin

0 Kudos
TBaki
Beginner

I think the input i fed to IP was incorrect. I was mot using floating point format ( point 3). Thanks

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your update. Please feel free to try out with the right format to see if it works. If it still not working, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

0 Kudos