FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5953 Discussions

Altera DMA throughput calculation?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a Cyclone V and I am connecting a DMA read master to an On Chip RAM and the write master to the DDR Controller. 

It seems like I am getting 600MB/sec throughput, which looks too much! Is it possible or is there something wrong? How can I calc the max throughput? 

The system is running at 100Mhz and my data width is 64 bits. Theorically I could achieve (64*100.000.000)/8) 800MB/sec. So 600MB/sec looks possible. Is this right? I am comparing the onchip data with the ddr data and it matches but it looks to good to be true... 

Cheers
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First time I've seen someone ask if they're getting too much throughput. :) 

The fact that you're checking it on-chip seems promising. The controller does a lot of things to help efficiency. The high-level stuff in the handbook includes: 

Command and Data Reordering 

Bank Management 

Streaming Reads and Writes 

Bank Interleaving 

Predictive Bank Management 

Build-in Burst Adaptor 

etc. 

Efficiency is always dependent on the reads and writes, but a lot of this smooths out the low corner-cases for much better efficiency.