FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Altera Ethernet MAC (MAC Address)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We are using the Altera Triple Speed Ethernet MAC and I have a question about its configuration. 

What MAC Address I have to configure the core, from where should I obtain a MAC Address and configure it? 

Is this given by Altera when buying the core, or do I have to contact a professional organisation and buy a MAC address? 

Could you please inform me. 

many thanks 

Harry
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

MAC address are allocated in blocks and registration is controlled by the IEEE. 

See here 

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/forms/ 

for the application to buy a range of MAC addresses (Not cheap!) 

If you are just looking for a quick Lab test and are utterly sure that your kit ill not be connected to the WAN then theoretically you will be safe using any MAC address that is not already used on your LAN. 

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

We are using the Altera Triple Speed Ethernet MAC and I have a question about its configuration. 

What MAC Address I have to configure the core, from where should I obtain a MAC Address and configure it? 

Is this given by Altera when buying the core, or do I have to contact a professional organisation and buy a MAC address? 

Could you please inform me. 

many thanks 

Harry 

--- Quote End ---  

The Ethernet MAC address on DE2 board is :0x01:0x60:0x6E:0x11:0x02:0x0F
0 Kudos