FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Available configuration with SDRAM Controller (altera_avalon_new_sdram_controller)

HKana17
Novice

Hi,

I am looking for a way to configure the SDRAM Controller in Platform Designer system (altera_avalon_new_sdram_controller).

I want to use the configuration of the attached figure. This is of Renesas SH3 SDRAM Interface Guide. To double SDRAM capacity I place 2 chips of SDRAM. The data-bus width is still 16 bits instead of 32 bits. So DQ ports of the 2 chips are gathered to one. Address bus and control lines except RAS and CAS are common to 2 chips. The chip-enable lines are not separated.

But I can’t see such a configuration item in the parameter window of the IP. Can this SDRAM IP be applied to the configuration I wish?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Just because the CS lines are not separated in this diagram doesn't mean you couldn't specify two separate CS lines, assuming your board hasn't been designed yet.  If your board is already designed and it matches the diagram, I don't think there's much you can do because, as you say, the IP only supports a single RAS/CAS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HKana17
Novice

Excuse me. I forgot to add some information.

SDRAM means SDR SDRAM.
My Quartus version is 18.1 lite.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Just because the CS lines are not separated in this diagram doesn't mean you couldn't specify two separate CS lines, assuming your board hasn't been designed yet.  If your board is already designed and it matches the diagram, I don't think there's much you can do because, as you say, the IP only supports a single RAS/CAS.

0 Kudos
HKana17
Novice

Dear sstrell,

Thank you for your reply.

Now here is a board mounted with many parts.

I expected that 'FPGA IP' could support many multi-chip SDR/SDRAM configuration. But now I understand that the IP doesn't support that configuration, unfortunately.

FPGA beginners might count on FPGA too much.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos