FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Can you make signal assignments to Signal Tap from the RTL Viewer in Quartus Lite 18.1 as explained in the Signal Tap Getting Started Tutorial?

WShep1
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Yes. Just right-click what you want to tap and choose to create a new .stp or add it to an existing one.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

I am using Quartus 18.1 Lite. When I right-click on the signal in the RTL Viewer, there is NOT an option to add the signal to a Signal Tap *.stp file. Does the Lite version of Quartus not support this function or is there some Enable that I need to set first?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Sorry, this can only be done from the Technology Map Viewer to tap post-fit signals, not the RTL Viewer. This feature is available in all Editions of the software, but I forgot that it was post-fit only. What tutorial are you referring to (URL) that says you can do this in the RTL Viewer?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

TechViewer.jpgTutorial.jpgThanks for your assistance. Indeed the tutorial does say the Technology Map Viewer(Post Fitting) and not the RTL Viewer as I originally said. I read Technology Map Viewer and remembered RTL Viewer. However, when I select a component in the Technology Viewer(Post Fitting) and right click on it there are only 7 choices available in the resulting selection box instead of 8 as shown in the tutorial, and the one that is missing is the "Add Node to Signal Tap Logic Analyzer" choice. See attached images of the Getting Started Tutorial and my Technology Viewer showing the choice box that pops up from a right click.

I am using Quartus 18.1. Is this a feature that is only available in 19.1 and later versions of Quartus? or is there some feature in the Technology View that I need to turn on?

Thanks for any assistance that you might provide,

Bill

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You have to select and then right-click an individual signal, not a block like a register. It should be an I/O of the register, not the register itself.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response and assistance. As it turns out, it does work with some signals/elements in the Tech Viewer, but not others. If you click on most signals/elements, the Signal Tap choice is available. However, there are some for which it is not available and that is what confused me the first time that I tried the Tech Viewer.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

You can understand more about the Signals Unavailable for Signal Tap Debugging from the user guide below:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-debug.pdf#page=30

0 Kudos