FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5876 Discussions

Configuration via Protocol - load core from QSPI

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have a Cyclone V connected to a PCIE bus. This all works, and I have a periphery image programmed into my QSPI and I can program the core image over the PCIE bus. The advantage with this technique is that I can update the core image on the PC without having to reprogram the QSPI. The drawback with this technique is that I have to wait for the PC to boot before I can finish programming my FPGA, leaving it in a kind of limbo. Is there any way of programming the core from the same QSPI that the periphery was programmed from, but in the two stage process so that I meet the PCIE startup time requirements? 

There are some comments in the CVP user guide, on page 5-5 and 5-6 of the 15.1 CVP user guide it says: 

"The Enable autonomous PCIe HIP mode option has an effect if your design has the following twocharacteristics: 

• You are using the Flash device or Ethernet controller, instead of the PCIe link to load the core 

image. 

• You have not checked Enable Configuration via the PCIe link in the Hard IP for PCI Express 

GUI." 

This implies I can use a Flash device (my QSPI?) to configure the core image, but I can find no other documentation that tells me how to do this. 

Any clues greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Simon
0 Kudos
0 Replies