FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

DDR2 without NIOS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

in a project for my studies I am ask to get frames from vga port and to put them in a ddr ram: vert basic reading and writting in the memory. 

Is there an other simple way to use the ddr (including its initialization) then using NIOS ? 

I found some IP cores on opencores dot org but does not seems to be working. 

best regards  

trax 

--  

I am using de3 dev kit board
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You most certainly do NOT have to use NIOS. The DDR2 controller is just that, a memory controller. You can use it inside SoPC Builder if you want to take advantage of the Avalon Interconnect Fabric, or you can instantiate the controller yourself in HDL and interface to it directly. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I am very new to altera technologies. When I use SOPC Builder and add a ddr ram controler it ask me to add a Avalon Master.  

All the demonstration programs use the NIOS II. Do you have any documents that could help me to do it without the processor? 

Best regards 

trax
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well do you even need SoPC Builder? If you've only got one block that's going to interface to the DDR2 memory, you can just create the controller without SoPC  

builder. 

If you do want to use SoPC Builder, you'll need to create your own Avalon Master component. In which case these would be helpful: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/mnl_avalon_spec.pdf 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii5v4.pdf 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well do you even need SoPC Builder? If you've only got one block that's going to interface to the DDR2 memory, you can just create the controller without SoPC builder. 

--- Quote End ---  

May I kindly ask to advise me how to do it? I need something similar for my project: 

I have two modules: 

1. the first module writes to the main memory sequentially, 

2. the second reads it randomly or block randomly, 

and I am using Terasic DE3 board. 

I generated the project with DE3_SystemBuilder and in the main module got many I/O parameters: 

////////// DDR2 (J9, DDR2 SO-DIMM) ////////// output DDR2_A; output DDR2_BA; output DDR2_CAS_n; output DDR2_CKE; inout DDR2_CLK_n; inout DDR2_CLK_p; output DDR2_CS_n; output DDR2_DM; inout DDR2_DQ; inout DDR2_DQS_n; inout DDR2_DQS_p; output DDR2_ODT; output DDR2_RAS_n; output DDR2_SA; output DDR2_SCL; inout DDR2_SDA; output DDR2_WE_n; What I really need is to convert them to 

input ClkRead, ClkWrite; // clocks for read and write instructions // or one clock with the switch for reading or writing output ReadReady; // on when the data is ready from the memory input Address; // depending on the word size, // but I want to use 4GBytes if possible inout Data; // can be , or even I can read with considerably slow rate like 50MHz, but I need the total speed about 12-16GBit/s and due to large memory usage I cannot use internal on FPGA memory since it is only 5.6MBits. 

Might somebody help or advise me to solve my task? 

Thank you! 

Sincerely 

Ilghiz
0 Kudos