FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

DEO-Nano & DSP builder?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

My name is Stefan and I have a little problem. 

Y have to do a final proyect for concluding my universitary studies. 

Y chose to do a electrocardiograph based in FPGA system. 

Y chose a DEO-Nano board, this one: terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=139&No=593&PartNo=1 and a display, this one:terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=68&No=213. 

My cuestion is, can i use the dsp builder with the de0-nano board? Is very important for me known this, before buy the DE0-Nano card. 

My idea is to take a signal from the human body, convert him analog to digital, create filters, alu, etc. for signal processing (using Simulink for some of this parts)..and finally get a output signal for the display, the electrocardiogram... 

Is posible this with DE0-Nano?... 

Thank you and I'm sorry for my bad english ;)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, DSP Builder supports the Cyclone IV on the DE0-nano

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you very much for your answer... 

...but how can I be sure about this?...can you show me a pdf file or a link or something where this is demostrated? 

sorry, I don`t want to offend you...but if I will start this proyect I need to be sure and I will spend some money, you understandme... 

thank you again!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

heh, the document hasn't been updated for Cyclone IV, i'm sure it is supported 

if you have MATLAB, install Quartus and DSP Builder. you'll be able to make sure that you can set the device to whatever is on the DE0-nano in SignalCompiler even without a license - you just won't be able to generate (or simulate i think)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank very much! 

I saw that pdf file, but las you say, is not updated...ok, then...thank you! 

Another thing, please...can I use VHDL or only Verilog in DE0-Nano?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DSP Builder will only generate VHDL, so if you only have a single language simulator you should probably make your custom logic VHDL too 

if that doesn't matter to you, Quartus will allow you to mix both languages (and the part doesn't care)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thepancake, you have my respects... 

thank you a lot!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all, 

i hope i could have some suggestions. i am doing a project in altera. 

so here is my project flow : 

i make a simple generator in simulink, using its library >> generate the VHDL >> have a project in quartus, i am using DEO-NANO 

the problem is, everytime i am trying to compile the VDHL in quartus, i will always have error notification says that can't be compiled and need the DSP Builder license. 

do i need the license for completing the compiling? 

i already install the DSP Builder that i download from the website, i don't think the downloaded program comes with the license. 

please your kindly advice  

Regards, 

stby
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, you need to buy a license. talk to your local distributor

0 Kudos