FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

DSP IP 6.1 - ast_sink_ready de-asserting

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems like ast_sink_ready de-asserts by itself (for a brief moment of time initially) for pretty much all of the DSP IPs (FIR, FFT, VIPs... etc.) I dugged around and I think I found the reason for it. 

There is a fifo at the avalon sink (input side) for flow control. This is a small fifo of a certain depth (I believe the depth varies for different cores, usually it's five for FIR). After reset, the avalon controller checks the status of the FIFO. If it sees that the FIFO is empty, it asserts the ast_sink_ready. This is why ast_sink_ready asserts initally. 

However, pretty much all the cores only get enabled after there is at least one valid data in the FIFO. Due to the latency involved in the control logic, the FIFO gets filled quickly until the design start fetching input data from the FIFO. Therfore, for some cycles ast_sink_ready signal is de-asserted to allow design to use the data in the FIFO.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi wronghorizon, 

I'm using FFT IP version 7.0, and from my Quartus simulation it seems that sink_ready is de-asserting after some times. I've already using your FFT/IFFT Unity Gain simulink simulation for the same FFT IP core and it is working fine. Do you think I should upgrade to version 7.1 since I've read in the forum that the problem has been fixed in version 7.1?  

Regards, 

Shaiful
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know sink_ready de-asserting was fixed... not exactly sure when it was fixed (can be 7.1, although I want to say 7.2 for sure). Anyhow, I would probably try to upgrade to the latest version (v 8.0) just to be safe.

0 Kudos